Page 738 of 775 FirstFirst ... 238638688728734735736737738739740741742748 ... LastLast
Results 11,056 to 11,070 of 11619

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Just like any white guy is Superman, now y'all are pulling at straws.

Be real I promise no one is gonna get mad at you if you admit a character should look like the character.
    I mean J.J's black Superman went nowhere sadly. I like Henry too but it would be nice to get mixed Kryptonians like Sasha's Supergirl. I excpect Gunn to want comic accurate characters though.

Just like any white guy is Superman, now y'all are pulling at straws.

Be real I promise no one is gonna get mad at you if you admit a character should look like the character.
    I've never spoken directly on Superman casting but I do think that they suffer from the same issue - as I stated "is a bit of a lazy way in casting". Superman can be played by anyone - it's just the fans who get annoyed when he is played by. I am an Elektra fan, we got Jennifer Garner and Elodie Yung and neither look exactly like the Elektra from the comics. Jennifer Garner was decent and probably could have been better with a better script. Elodie Yung was perfect, though obviously not used as much. I think fans need to let go of perfect looks and go more off of character/acting because that matters just as much - if not more than looks.
    Last edited by vitaminbee; 01-04-2024 at 12:33 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by vitaminbee View Post
    I've never spoken directly on Superman casting but I do think that they suffer from the same issue - as I stated "is a bit of a lazy way in casting". Superman can be played by anyone - it's just the fans who get annoyed when he is played by. I am an Elektra fan, we got Jennifer Garner and Elodie Yung and neither look exactly like the Elektra from the comics. Jennifer Garner was decent and probably could have been better with a better script. Elodie Yung was perfect, though obviously not used as much. I think fans need to let go of perfect looks and go more off of character/acting because that matters just as much - if not more than looks.
    I agree. A perfect 1:1 translation from page to comic is unrealistic and entirely lacks any sort of creativity. Obvious casting decisions bore me more than anything else if I'm being honest.
    Last edited by phonogram12; 01-04-2024 at 04:22 PM.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

I've seen a lot of people now fan-casting him as Richard Rider.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    I mean J.J's black Superman went nowhere sadly. I like Henry too but it would be nice to get mixed Kryptonians like Sasha's Supergirl. I excpect Gunn to want comic accurate characters though.
    We have at least two comic characters who look like Sasha who are Sueprgirls.

I don't really care about gender or race swapping. Just make sure the characters are portrayed decently. The Taskmaster switch was bad. You had the Russian-speaking actress playing her actually speaking LESS Russian than the American and British actresses playing the Black Widows! What a colossal waste. I don't wanna **** on the MCU like so many people are doing these days, but man they gotta step up their game. If Joker 2, Venom 3 and Deadpool 3 all bomb this year, then Hollywood should start panicking. I just watched the wonderful FOX Special: M*A*S*H: The Comedy That Changed Television a few days ago, and I was amazed how that show "retired" characters and brought in new ones without skipping a beat. Hopefully Marvel can emulate them in the future.
    Last edited by Albert1981; 01-05-2024 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    I don't really care about gender or race swapping. Just make sure the characters are portrayed decently. The Taskmaster switch was bad. You had a Russian-speaking actress playing her actually speaking LESS Russian than the American and British actresses playing the Black Widows! What a colossal waste. I don't wanna **** on the MCU like so many people are doing these days, but man they gotta step up their game. If Joker 2, Venom 3 and Deadpool 3 all bomb this year, then Hollywood should start panicking. I just watched the wonderful FOX Special: M*A*S*H: The Comedy That Changed Television a few days ago, and I was amazed how that show "retired" characters and brought in new ones without skipping a beat. Hopefully Marvel can emulate them in the future.
    Scarlett Johansson rarely displaying a Russian accent is one of my biggest complaints about her portrayal.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I've seen a lot of people now fan-casting him as Richard Rider.
    Fancasting who? I've lost the thread of the thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Scarlett Johansson rarely displaying a Russian accent is one of my biggest complaints about her portrayal.
    I think it's possible she wasn't comfortable doing one? The cast of the Black Panther movies didn't seem to have an issue with this, but I think it is hard to do these Eastern/Southern European accents for American performers.

Quote Originally Posted by vitaminbee View Post
    Agreed.

On the subject of Elektra, I always had it in my head that Angelina Jolie would’ve been perfect in the role. However, Elodie Yung has my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnostic View Post
    Strange never really got over Christine either. In fact, that is what lend to his world being destroyed.
    True, but he did recognize his mistakes and selfishness at the end. 'Don't punish them, punish me!' I think his words were. The pain never faded, but he learned just how wrong he was. You can learn the lesson without the wounds healing, and it feels dishonest for him to forget that and make the exact same mistake again.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    But I think he kind of realized how badly he screwed up by nature of the world being destroyed.

Granted I had enough of fixating on Strange's relationship with Christine in MoM. I'm glad the comics aren't downplaying Clea any more.
    This.

As for the racebending stuff....I'm generally against it on principal, but I'm not bothered by it. I feel like, when they racebend someone, they're just telling me they didn't have enough faith in their actual PoC. Nothing says that Wonder Man can't be black and I got nothing against it really, Simon can still be Simon and the quality of the actor is more important than how they look, but what's wrong with Blue Marvel, y'know? We say that Wonder Man has more history, and thus more/better stories to adapt, but that logic will also ensure that Blue Marvel never catches up. Besides, adapting a visual medium to another visual medium, especially with characters as well known as some of these guys....yeah, it doesn't seem unreasonable to want a degree of visual consistency. The best actor should get the gig regardless of other factors, but I don't think it's out of bounds to try and stick to the source material when there's a long, established, and consistent baseline.

But racebending is also a quick and dirty way to get some desperately needed representation into these stories, and it's hard to hate on that because gods know we need it. I think history will come to view racebending as akin to blackface, but it might be a necessary step on the road to regularly using actual characters of color.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended;6690709

As for the racebending stuff....I'm generally against it on principal, but I'm not bothered by it. I feel like, when they racebend someone, they're just telling me they didn't have enough faith in their actual PoC. Nothing says that Wonder Man can't be black and I got nothing against it really, Simon can still be Simon and the quality of the actor is more important than how they look[B
    , but what's wrong with Blue Marvel, y'know?[/B] We say that Wonder Man has more history, and thus more/better stories to adapt, but that logic will also ensure that Blue Marvel never catches up. Besides, adapting a visual medium to another visual medium, especially with characters as well known as some of these guys....yeah, it doesn't seem unreasonable to want a degree of visual consistency. The best actor should get the gig regardless of other factors, but I don't think it's out of bounds to try and stick to the source material when there's a long, established, and consistent baseline.

But racebending is also a quick and dirty way to get some desperately needed representation into these stories, and it's hard to hate on that because gods know we need it. I think history will come to view racebending as akin to blackface, but it might be a necessary step on the road to regularly using actual characters of color.
    His creator?

Someone at Marvel with an issue with the character-because there is a writer and artist all READY to do a Blue Marvel book and editorial REFUSED to hear the pitch.

Because everyone asks the same question you have-why not use the established POC in these projects?

And the claims of they don't have material is a gatekeeping excuse.

What material did Antman have? He got 3 movies?

Static had 45 comics and still tossed out a 4 year show that could lasted longer if they got funding.

What material did Blade have? He got 3 movies and 2 tv shows.

We got tons of folks with little or no material and somehow they got movies and shows.

Men in Black started as a comic.
    TMNT the same.
    Somehow Barbarella, Bettie Page & Elvira are getting monthly comics.
    Firefly a failed show got almost 10 years worth of comics.

SO there should not be an excuse for using established POC.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    His creator?

Someone at Marvel with an issue with the character-because there is a writer and artist all READY to do a Blue Marvel book and editorial REFUSED to hear the pitch.

Because everyone asks the same question you have-why not use the established POC in these projects?

And the claims of they don't have material is a gatekeeping excuse.

What material did Antman have? He got 3 movies?

Static had 45 comics and still tossed out a 4 year show that could lasted longer if they got funding.

What material did Blade have? He got 3 movies and 2 tv shows.

We got tons of folks with little or no material and somehow they got movies and shows.

Men in Black started as a comic.
    TMNT the same.
    Somehow Barbarella, Bettie Page & Elvira are getting monthly comics.
    Firefly a failed show got almost 10 years worth of comics.

SO there should not be an excuse for using established POC.
    exactly, Shang-Chi got a solo movie!

and now his main villain is one of Iron Man's top villains

exactly, Shang-Chi got a solo movie!

and now his main villain is one of Iron Man's top villains
    That we haven't gotten a What If of Tony fighting Wenwu is a big missed opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Android 17 View Post
    Agreed.

On the subject of Elektra, I always had it in my head that Angelina Jolie would’ve been perfect in the role. However, Elodie Yung has my heart.
    Not bad. While she’s not Greek, Monica Bellucci was my go to in the early 00’s.