Page 726 of 775 FirstFirst ... 226626676716722723724725726727728729730736 ... LastLast
Results 10,876 to 10,890 of 11619

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Denzel would not be a good choice for Kang, imo. He doesn't transform nearly enough to portray all the different personalities Kang needs to have. Just not his wheelhouse.

He'd make a superb Blue Marvel, however.
    That's fine, those other personalities are terrible. That Council of Kang scene was so bad that they need to whatever they can to make people forget about it

That's my problem with the Kang stuff is that they handled it so bad out of the gate. It was one of the villains I was looking forward to seeing. Avengers EMH did it far better.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Ultimate Member

https://us.yahoo.com/entertainment/t...160803372.html

Taika Waititi revealed on a new episode of the “SmartLess” podcast that he had no interest in joining the Marvel Cinematic Universe as a director. The filmmaker has directed two MCU movies: 2017’s “Thor: Ragnarok,” which is widely considered one of the best Marvel movies, and 2022’s “Thor: Love and Thunder,” which is one of the franchise’s most polarizing. The Oscar winner said he originally accepted the “Ragnarok” gig for money, as he had just had his second child.

“You know what? I had no interest in doing one of those films,” Waititi said. “It wasn’t on my plan for my career as an auteur. But I was poor and I’d just had a second child, and I thought, ‘You know what, this would be a great opportunity to feed these children.'”
    “And ‘Thor,’ let’s face it — it was probably the least popular franchise,” he continued. “I never read ‘Thor’ comics as a kid. That was the comic I’d pick up and be like ‘Ugh.’ And then I did some research on it, and I read one ‘Thor’ comic or 18 pages, or however long they are. I was still baffled by this character.”

When asked if Marvel executives were scared to bring him in, Waititi answered: “I think there was no place left for them to go with that. I thought, ‘Well, they’ve called me in, this is really the bottom of the barrel.”

“Thor: Ragnarok” ended up earning critical acclaim and $853 million at the worldwide box office. “Love and Thunder” topped out at a still-strong $760 million worldwide. Waititi recently told Business Insider that he will most likely not return to direct another “Thor” movie because his slate is booked for the next six or so years.

“I know that I won’t be involved,” he said about “Thor 5” directing duties. “I’m going to concentrate on these other films that I’ve signed on for … But I love Marvel, I love working with them. I love Chris.”

“I would never feel like they are cheating on me,” Waititi added, noting he’d have no ill will if Marvel goes ahead and hires another writer-director for a fifth “Thor” movie. “We’re in an open relationship, and it’s like if they want to see other people, I’m happy for that. I’d still get back into bed with them one day.”
    All I will say is, this explains why Thor: L&T came out the way it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Interesting read. I guess we got close to the full spectrum of outcomes when a creator isn't that passionate for the subject material, from surprisingly great to unsurprisingly lackluster.

Extraordinary Member

I don't like Thor: Ragnarok but I don't think there's anything shocking about what Waititi is saying. He's not saying (granted I haven't heard the whole podcast) he didn't try to make a good movie. He's saying he had no interest in Thor and they gave him the job because they were desperate for a new take on the franchise, so they bought his pitch for a more comedic, less comics-traditional take on Thor.

And it worked, it was a hit.

Unfortunately it only worked once, as he found when he tried to repeat the formula of Ragnarok.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    I don't like Thor: Ragnarok but I don't think there's anything shocking about what Waititi is saying. He's not saying (granted I haven't heard the whole podcast) he didn't try to make a good movie. He's saying he had no interest in Thor and they gave him the job because they were desperate for a new take on the franchise, so they bought his pitch for a more comedic, less comics-traditional take on Thor.

And it worked, it was a hit.

Unfortunately it only worked once, as he found when he tried to repeat the formula of Ragnarok.
    I’m quite curious if Taika chose to adapt Jane’s Thor arc and the God Butcher arc, or if those were both mandated by Marvel. I think directly adapting great stories is what lead to the downfall of L&T, because in Taika’s attempts to add his own flair it ended up detracting from what was already great source material.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Interesting read. I guess we got close to the full spectrum of outcomes when a creator isn't that passionate for the subject material, from surprisingly great to unsurprisingly lackluster.
    Exactly this.

Also, I guess when folks are working for that "first big pay", they tend to take the work serious.

The **** way he treated the Warriors 3, the missed opportunity to introduce Volstagg's children with all those kids in L&T... Yeah, not surprised to learn he didn't care about the Thor universe.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Niffleheim

I don't care what Waititi says Thor Ragnarok is STILL one of my top three MCU movie and I attribute it more on him riffing off a script he had to follow than him having full control in Thor Love and Thunder.
    Last edited by Tofali; 11-27-2023 at 03:38 PM.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Not a fan of Waldron, so gonna skip Kang Dynasty.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChibaMariners View Post
    There's some chatter going on X, that Silver Surfer will be genderbent. Might be just bad intel from CG types looking for clicks. If not... Yeah, I don't see that going over at all.
    I think a good work around for this is to swap Norrin Radd and Zenn-La. You get the same basic story and fans will not be (too) up in arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    https://us.yahoo.com/entertainment/t...160803372.html

I suppose explain the Marvels too.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    I don't care what Waititi says Thor Ragnarok is STILL one of my top three MCU movie and I attribute it more on him riffing off a script he had to follow than him having full control in Thor Love and Thunder.
    I do not think what he said was bad. The two best Star Trek films were directed by a filmmaker who loved the craft but was not a fan of Star Trek.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    I think a good work around for this is to swap Norrin Radd and Zenn-La. You get the same basic story and fans will not be (too) up in arms.
    But what are they going to do with Alicia Masters? And with Galactus? Is the MCU going to put a woman as the slave of a man? Because that is basically what the Silver Surfer was in his genesis story, a slave.
    Last edited by Thor-Ul; 11-28-2023 at 11:35 AM.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin