Page 1 of 33 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Hickman Ultimate Universe (Earth 6160) General Discussion and Spoilers

Figured we should have a proper thread for this.

First off we have what might be a look at who will be writing Ultimates. Instead of Hickman as expected it may end up being Deniz Camp, the writer of the recent Children of the Vault mini.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post

First off we have what might be a look at who will be writing Ultimates. Instead of Hickman as expected it may end up being Deniz Camp, the writer of the recent Children of the Vault mini.
    Camp's CotV mini was good and action packed so I would love it if he writes The Ultimates.
    The Avengers are Firefighters. We're the ones who fly into the blaze, whatever it is. Because we're the ones who
    can, so we're the ones who have to.~Captain Marvel

Fantastic Member Hurricane Billy's Avatar

Should we still continue to spoiler tag stuff in this thread?

Regardless, I'm definitely curious to see which hero will get introduced in that particular one-shot. I hadn't thought about it previously, but since Free Comic Book Day is in May, it can't be Spider-Man, Black Panther or whoever will be in Ultimate X-Men. Maybe that'll be when 6160 Captain America finally wakes up?

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    Camp's CotV mini was good and action packed so I would love it if he writes The Ultimates.
    I’ve heard good things about him, and he is apparently a huge Hickman fan. It’s still surprising that Hickman would not take that title himself since I figured it was going to be the main driver for the UU.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Billy View Post
    Should we still continue to spoiler tag stuff in this thread?

Regardless, I'm definitely curious to see which hero will get introduced in that particular one-shot. I hadn't thought about it previously, but since Free Comic Book Day is in May, it can't be Spider-Man, Black Panther or whoever will be in Ultimate X-Men. Maybe that'll be when 6160 Captain America finally wakes up?
    I put spoilers in the title so people know to expect unmarked spoilers when you post here. If you don’t specify in the title you have to use the spoiler boxes but otherwise you don’t need to. Least that’s how I’ve operated on the forum thus far.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    Maaan... I so wish Camp was doing Ultimate X-men instead. But I will read anything he writes after reading 20th Century Men and Children of the Vault.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

I'm hoping the new UU gets a nice long run but keep it tight and not too crazy.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Fantastic Member

They need to invite in top talent like Kieron Gillen, Jason Aaron, etc. to do fresh takes on characters but its going to be hard to do because any book in new Ultimate has to adhere to Hickman's already heavy established lore and political heirarchy. The beauty of the original Ultimate Universe is anyone could come in and tell a new story in "the real world" it was only 8-10 years later that continuity started building up.

Fantastic Member Hurricane Billy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wally West View Post
    They need to invite in top talent like Kieron Gillen, Jason Aaron, etc. to do fresh takes on characters but its going to be hard to do because any book in new Ultimate has to adhere to Hickman's already heavy established lore and political heirarchy. The beauty of the original Ultimate Universe is anyone could come in and tell a new story in "the real world" it was only 8-10 years later that continuity started building up.
    I think that will depend heavily on how long Hickman and Marvel want to have this new Ultimate Universe run for. It'd definitely be very tricky if the plan is for it to play out exactly like how things worked twenty years ago with the original Ultimate Universe, but if the idea is for Earth-6160 to be a setting where writers can jump in and experiment more broadly with the Marvel mythology in relatively self-contained stories, I think it should be able to work for at least a while.

The Hickmate UNiverse is here.
    By the way they will be called Ultimates or Ultimate Avengers?
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Wonder how long this will go on for?

It has to affect 616 eventually after the whole Illuminati/Miles stuff in #1 of Invasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    The Hickmate UNiverse is here.
    By the way they will be called Ultimates or Ultimate Avengers?
    Leaning towards Ultimates currently, but obviously the world has changed dramatically from the days when the Avengers were not a brand anyone cared about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally West View Post
    Aaron is at DC now and has said he won’t be doing any ongoings for the foreseeable future. Gillen seems set to return to his indie work. Hickman is probably going to be recruiting up and comers and serving as Showrunner for them. Long as he is on USM I think that will be enough to sustain interest in the line. Certainly worked for X-Men after all.
    Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Wonder how long this will go on for?

It has to affect 616 eventually after the whole Illuminati/Miles stuff in #1 of Invasion.
    My hunch is the Illuminati will be involved once the Maker finally exits the City in two years. Whether Hickman plans to do that in two years real time, or if he intends for that to be the big endgame for this universe and will delay it for as long as the line is a success, remains to be seen.

Maybe this is a contrarian view but I think they should have brought back Mark Millar even if it was just for a limited. I know people have opinions on his writing but if you reign him in to a certain extent and let him cook. There is a reason why people are still talking about Ultimates to this day.

I don't think Millar has any interest in doing work for hire anymore or going back to either of the Big Two, but I could be wrong.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    I don't think Millar has any interest in doing work for hire anymore or going back to either of the Big Two, but I could be wrong.

I remembered reading a couple weeks ago about how Millar's solution to low sales for Marvel and DC was to pay writers more for big successes. I assumed that was sort of a signal that he would be interested in coming back if he was paid appropriately for big successes. Honestly, this format would have been a good testing ground to see if his hypothesis works. If he had a big success in this universe and he got paid equivalent for it, then it could be applied across the comic medium.

Leaning towards Ultimates currently, but obviously the world has changed dramatically from the days when the Avengers were not a brand anyone cared about.
    I remember to read than one of the reasons to change the name of the team to The Ultimates it was to avoid any relation with the 1998 Avengers movie (you, with the british Avengers) to not scare any potential Hollywood investor.

Aaron is at DC now and has said he won’t be doing any ongoings for the foreseeable future. Gillen seems set to return to his indie work. Hickman is probably going to be recruiting up and comers and serving as Showrunner for them. Long as he is on USM I think that will be enough to sustain interest in the line. Certainly worked for X-Men after all..
    So Hickman is changing the paradigm. Lets see if works again.

My hunch is the Illuminati will be involved once the Maker finally exits the City in two years. Whether Hickman plans to do that in two years real time, or if he intends for that to be the big endgame for this universe and will delay it for as long as the line is a success, remains to be seen.
    Two years to see if this works or flop is a good measurent. We will see if it is really a New Ultimate or a New New Universe.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin