Page 767 of 775 FirstFirst ... 267667717757763764765766767768769770771 ... LastLast
Results 11,491 to 11,505 of 11621

Quote Originally Posted by mburns View Post
    Marvel made this change to check boxes. They wanted another women in the cast because there would have too many men otherwise. As the Marvels and Madame Web showed most people who watch these movies are still male and they are the ones who buy the merchandise.
    So...males only like to watch other males in movies?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    In these types of movies yes. Superhero and action movies are power fantasies. Of course for the most part they will identify with male super/action heroes more.

In these types of movies yes. Superhero and action movies are power fantasies. Of course for the most part they will identify with male super/action heroes more.
    Ah. So only males are allowed to see their selves in "these types of movies."

Spectacular Member

Ah. So only males are allowed to see their selves in "these types of movies."
    Huh when exactly did I say that? My post was in reponse to the idea that they made the change for financial reasons. They didn't. It was to check boxes. Changing the Surfer to a women is not going to help them sell any more tickets or merchandise.

Huh when exactly did I say that? My post was in reponse to the idea that they made the change for financial reasons. They didn't. It was to check boxes. Changing the Surfer to a women is not going to help them sell any more tickets or merchandise.
    They didn't change Surfer into a woman. Just used Shalla-bal who has been around since the 60s.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

I understand you. It's called a "target audience" for a reason.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    You say "target audience" like that should never change, adapt, or grow.
    Last edited by Bunch of Coconuts; 04-06-2024 at 02:00 AM.

Yup that's why hunger games, alien and 90s tomb raider were box office bombs. Oh wait. Men loved them. All had female action hero leads.

Male or female does not matter if the script is good. If script stinks no gender will help it. Just ask tank girl.

Ironic the thing you just said is what the toy company thought leading to many main female characters never getting an action figure or just one or two a line. "Boys don't play with female heroes".

Then the x-men line the female figures sold so well they saw how dumb that was and dumped it! Heck japan female action figures tends to sell better than male ones!

Stinks we lost so many female characters who didn't get toys in the 80s due to them thinking that. Secret wars didn't have a single female in the line.
    Last edited by Gaastra; 04-06-2024 at 03:19 AM.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    This had more to do with Marvel covering their own ass from criticism of female representation than increasing their female audience. They could have easily used Frankie Ray or other female heralds but the chatter that this change will generate will be enough to announce that they're doing it lol!
    Last edited by Tofali; 04-06-2024 at 05:40 AM.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Of course there was some speculation they were sabotaging T'Challa in the comics in an attempt to de-emphasize him in-time for Wakanda Forever.
    But then that never actually happened though?
    The speculation only existed from the "Recast T'Challa" people who wanted a reason to get mad.
    Marvel made this change to check boxes. They wanted another women in the cast because there would have too many men otherwise. As the Marvels and Madame Web showed most people who watch these movies are still male and they are the ones who buy the merchandise.
    This is just a roundabout way of saying the "core audience" is misogynistic and haven't grown out of the girls are yucky phase from their elementary school days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    This had more to do with Marvel covering their own ass from criticism of female representation than increasing their female audience. They could have easily used Frankie Ray or other female heralds but the chatter that this change will generate will be enough to announce that they're doing it lol!
    None of this means anything
    Last edited by PhantomBoom; 04-06-2024 at 06:14 AM.

Extraordinary Member

LaKeith Stanfield Hints He was In The Running For Silver Surfer

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Yup that's why hunger games, alien and 90s tomb raider were box office bombs. Oh wait. Men loved them. All had female action hero leads.

Male or female does not matter if the script is good. If script stinks no gender will help it. Just ask tank girl.

Ironic the thing you just said is what the toy company thought leading to many main female characters never getting an action figure or just one or two a line. "Boys don't play with female heroes".

Then the x-men line the female figures sold so well they saw how dumb that was and dumped it! Heck japan female action figures tends to sell better than male ones!

Stinks we lost so many female characters who didn't get toys in the 80s due to them thinking that. Secret wars didn't have a single female in the line.
    Hunger Games primary audience were women. The opening weekend for the first Hunger Games movie was 71% women/girls. The first Tomb Raider was hardly a huge hit. Aliens was a exception. Alien was more a horror movie in space than a action movie. The main protagonist for horror movies seem to be women (the final girl stuff). No one ever said there were no exceptions.

From what I understand the female x-men action figures sold only because boys wanted a complete set of X-men figures but boys would rarely buy more than one of the female X-men unlike the male action figures like Wolverine. Rogue seemed to be an exception for some reason.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomBoom View Post
    This is just a roundabout way of saying the "core audience" is misogynistic and haven't grown out of the girls are yucky phase from their elementary school days.
    I don't see how it does but lets say you are right. So what? Do they have some sort of obligation to change their preferences?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think there's a question of whether the market can really support two.
    I guess the market will let us know. Till then, it's anyone's guess.

They also haven't permanently replaced Natasha with Yelena.

Unless it's male gazey, apparently most man children won't have it. Says more about them than it does the material.

You say "target audience" like that should never change, adapt, or grow.
    Failure to change, adapt, grow, or evolve is pretty much death. Although it really wouldn't surprise me that if said man children can't get their way, they would rather burn the house down than let other people live in it.
    Last edited by phonogram12; 04-06-2024 at 07:57 AM.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomBoom View Post
    But then that never actually happened though?
    The speculation only existed from the "Recast T'Challa" people who wanted a reason to get mad.
    I mean, they had plenty to be mad about one way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I guess the market will let us know. Till then, it's anyone's guess.

They also haven't permanently replaced Natasha with Yelena.
    Well, considering Sam currently doesn't have a solo while Steve does...

Though the recent mini is trying to write Yelena more like her MCU counterpart and failing spectacularly at it.
    Unless it's male gazey, apparently most man children won't have it. Says more about them than it does the material.
    Kind of part why I'm surprised they're doing female Silver Surfer to be honest unless they change the design to seem less naked.