Page 551 of 775 FirstFirst ... 51451501541547548549550551552553554555561601651 ... LastLast
Results 8,251 to 8,265 of 11614

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Hmm...I have a lot of feelings here.
    Right? Same. I can't watch these trailers without all the real life stuff hitting me too. It looks good, I think? Or maybe I just really, really want this to be good because the world needs the Black Panther right now? Or I'm trying to convince the part of me that thinks this thing can't work without Boseman that it can and will succeed. I dunno. But Coogler hasn't let me down and, for the most part, neither has Fiege, so best face forward right?

On the one hand, it just feels very off to have a sequel to a movie not really feel like a proper sequel...at least until the end when we get an actual Black Panther showing up.
    Fortunately, the first film did such an incredible job with the supporting cast, that concerns aside I think the film "can" actually pull it off. If we were talking about nearly any other MCU film, I'd say the whole thing would collapse. But the cast of BP is so damn strong I do believe they're capable of holding the franchise up. It will not be the same, tho. I miss Boseman, and I'm in the camp that wishes Fiege had re-cast. But the supporting cast *can* carry this, and the franchise *can* pivot, if they handle it right. It's not quite what I'd like, but they could do it.

What *I* wish is that the Panther mask didn't so clearly and obviously mirror Shuri's face paint. It's so clear I wonder if it's an intentional misdirect and it's someone else in the suit? Or is Marvel giving up on keeping the new Panther's identity a mystery?

Speaking of which, the suit looks fine (more gold than T'Challa's silver), but I think it might be difficult to push MCU Shuri as a Black Panther and a legitimate successor to T'Challa.
    I agree, but the building blocks are there. Shuri grew up royalty and (I assume) close to the throne in the line of succession, so there's no way the girl wasn't trained in all the things T'Challa was trained in. Maybe she didn't take it as seriously or get as much effort from the tutors as T'Challa did, but she'd have gotten a lot of training. She's not a "natural" fighter, I don't think, nor a diplomat, but we've seen her fight aliens and stand her ground, and she fought to save the throne from Killmonger. It's not unreasonable to think that this is a role Shuri could grow into, even if she wasn't up to the task last time we saw her. She'd likely be uncomfortable in the role, but, hey, drama!

And of course, Shrui growing into the role is the story you tell with all that right? How does she make the mantle work for her? What does her Panther, her queendom, look like if she's doing what she's good at, and not what people expect from the Panther?

Namor...I'm not sure how I feel about them grafting Namor into an actual real life culture.
    Yeah, I'm not sold on that either. But we'll see how it goes I guess. Does Marvel's Atlantis even have a consistent visual aesthetic to build off of?

It continues to feel weird for me how much focus and attention Riri Williams is getting in a Black Panther movie
    I'd probably have agreed before America Chavez showed up in Strange 2, despite having no set-up and nothing to do with magic. Introducing Riri here gets more eyes on her than her show alone would ever be able to and not matter what else happens it'll get her show more views, and since all this was planned before any of the D+ shows began Disney probably wanted to stack the deck in their favor as much as possible, especially for a unknown, relatively new legacy. And Riri being in Wakanda follows up on the programs T'Challa started so there's at least a pre-built 'in' for her inclusion.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I think a more "traditional" Atlantis would have been in the film if not for Aquaman already coming out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Right? Same. I can't watch these trailers without all the real life stuff hitting me too. It looks good, I think? Or maybe I just really, really want this to be good because the world needs the Black Panther right now? Or I'm trying to convince the part of me that thinks this thing can't work without Boseman that it can and will succeed. I dunno. But Coogler hasn't let me down and, for the most part, neither has Fiege, so best face forward right?
    Well, my confidence in Feige isn't what it used to be...
    Fortunately, the first film did such an incredible job with the supporting cast, that concerns aside I think the film "can" actually pull it off. If we were talking about nearly any other MCU film, I'd say the whole thing would collapse. But the cast of BP is so damn strong I do believe they're capable of holding the franchise up. It will not be the same, tho. I miss Boseman, and I'm in the camp that wishes Fiege had re-cast. But the supporting cast *can* carry this, and the franchise *can* pivot, if they handle it right. It's not quite what I'd like, but they could do it.

What *I* wish is that the Panther mask didn't so clearly and obviously mirror Shuri's face paint. It's so clear I wonder if it's an intentional misdirect and it's someone else in the suit? Or is Marvel giving up on keeping the new Panther's identity a mystery?
    I agree the supporting cast was strong, but it feels to me that it's saying they were so strong that you don't need T'Challa/the actual main character anymore which I feel detracts from the overall Black Panther image and franchise.

I've already seen critiques from fans of the first movie that Coogler spent so much time showing how awesome and capable the supporting cast (and villain) were that it undercut T'Challa's character (particularly making Shuri much smarter).
    I agree, but the building blocks are there. Shuri grew up royalty and (I assume) close to the throne in the line of succession, so there's no way the girl wasn't trained in all the things T'Challa was trained in. Maybe she didn't take it as seriously or get as much effort from the tutors as T'Challa did, but she'd have gotten a lot of training. She's not a "natural" fighter, I don't think, nor a diplomat, but we've seen her fight aliens and stand her ground, and she fought to save the throne from Killmonger. It's not unreasonable to think that this is a role Shuri could grow into, even if she wasn't up to the task last time we saw her. She'd likely be uncomfortable in the role, but, hey, drama!

And of course, Shrui growing into the role is the story you tell with all that right? How does she make the mantle work for her? What does her Panther, her queendom, look like if she's doing what she's good at, and not what people expect from the Panther?
    The movies never really give the impression that Shuri was trained the same way T'Challa was or had the natural inclination to be BP, let alone queen, and while there is a possible story in building her up to that...the fact that her initial character wasn't designed or depicted that way makes it feel like a bit of an uphill battle to portray.
    Yeah, I'm not sold on that either. But we'll see how it goes I guess. Does Marvel's Atlantis even have a consistent visual aesthetic to build off of?
    There have been plenty of Namor comics, but that's never stopped Marvel Studios before .
    I'd probably have agreed before America Chavez showed up in Strange 2, despite having no set-up and nothing to do with magic. Introducing Riri here gets more eyes on her than her show alone would ever be able to and not matter what else happens it'll get her show more views, and since all this was planned before any of the D+ shows began Disney probably wanted to stack the deck in their favor as much as possible, especially for a unknown, relatively new legacy. And Riri being in Wakanda follows up on the programs T'Challa started so there's at least a pre-built 'in' for her inclusion.
    I get they want to get these young heroes out there yet at the same time it feels like it's de-emphasizing the characters' own mythos when they throw in a character that has nothing to do with them in a prominent role.

Extraordinary Member

Lord, I hope they do more "specials" -- which means, basically, TV movies.

They've gotten enough complaints about two-hour plots padded out to six hours, they'd be crazy not to do some stories that are 90 minutes or so.

So basically the equivalent of one-shots?

I agree not everything needs a 6-8 episode show.

Makes sense. The tv shows on top of movies are an overload. Only a few characters can carry a long term tv show and they are also expensive.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

It can work, there's certainly material that has potential for multiple episodes, but not everything.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

This headline is very misleading. This is a rumor about someone hearing they are considering doing more specials, including for previously announced shows. Not a whole lot of certainty in the report. MCU is still one of the flagships for Disney+, so I don't think shows are going away anytime soon. They might just cut down how many shows we get per year, but I'm still willing to bet we're gonna keep getting them every year, just like the movies.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Makes sense. The tv shows on top of movies are an overload. Only a few characters can carry a long term tv show and they are also expensive.
    Exactly this.

It’s a bit too much and these specials will be a good showcase for certain characters without giving them entire series.

The guys at Marvel look quite stretched. In addition to this, I read a report that said that experienced screen writers are getting increasingly rare because of the boom in the number of scripted tv shows (that’s why the Rings of Power is being helmed by two guys with very little experience). Marvel seem to be developing guys in-house.

Slowing things down into specials looks like a wise way to go.

Mighty Member

So, does this mean they're not going to do anymore 6-9 episode series? The headline makes it seem like that.

From a story telling perspective I like it. I'd like full movies more though lol...

But from a streaming making money perspective... I don't get how they will drive subscriptions. 6 episodes means people are trapped for over a month (aka past the subscription re-up). Plus the people thta "wait and binge" won't have to wait so it won't be as tempting

Business wise its odd.

Fan wise, i'll allow it, im not a TV show perso
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Exactly this.

It’s a bit too much and these specials will be a good showcase for certain characters without giving them entire series.

The guys at Marvel look quite stretched. In addition to this, I read a report that said that experienced screen writers are getting increasingly rare because of the boom in the number of scripted tv shows (that’s why the Rings of Power is being helmed by two guys with very little experience). Marvel seem to be developing guys in-house.

Slowing things down into specials looks like a wise way to go.
    I think you can feel that in some of the scripting/story issues that have been plaguing major live-action streaming shows lately.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Disney's corporate cross marketing at work.

https://twitter.com/espn/status/1576973083054850049
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Overload of what? I like the TV shows and would like more to showcase new heroes and such and then use those to drive D+ Movies and use the the D+ movies to drive the Blockbusters.
    Make a TV show like Marvel COmics presents that introduces her heroes and villains etc and push them into other shows and movie and blockbusters.

The only reason I can see them doing specials is to save money.
    I am old, I ain't got time to waste on a slow burn.