Page 113 of 776 FirstFirst ... 1363103109110111112113114115116117123163213613 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,695 of 11640

Quote Originally Posted by Harsh Lesson View Post
    You can rationalize it however you want, the fact remains the MCU's hyper powered beings are arguably their biggest draws.

Because Wanda, Vision, & Monica aren't street level characters?
    What you write doesn't even make the slightest sense.

It's your opinion that street level characters are boring and that's perfectly fine. Just stop pretending that your opinion correlates with the general audience because facts clearly show a different picture. The highest grossing MCU solo movie is Black Panther, followed by Iron Man 3 and Spider-Man: Far From Home (not counting Civil War because it was more or less an Avengers movie). That's two street level characters and one earth-bound human character with tech who can hardly be called hyperpowered.

Your claim has no backing to begin with, you are just stating your opinion as a fact.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    What you write doesn't even make the slightest sense.

It's your opinion that street level characters are boring and that's perfectly fine. Just stop pretending that your opinion correlates with the general audience because facts clearly show a different picture. The highest grossing MCU solo movie is Black Panther, followed by Iron Man 3 and Spider-Man: Far From Home (not counting Civil War because it was more or less an Avengers movie). That's two street level characters and one earth-bound human character with tech who can hardly be called hyperpowered.

Your claim has no backing to begin with, you are just stating your opinion as a fact.
    - What I'm saying makes complete sense, so much so that many people over the past few pages have agreed, so I'm not what to tell you.

- Spider-Man nor Iron-Man are street level. The former, as has been pointed out, is bigger than comics besides. I'll give you Black Panther, but even that was a special case.

- BW is in danger of bombing, which was my point. Whether or not that makes you uncomfortable isn't really relevant, it's a fact, hence the distribution of the film.

Niffleheim

Iron-Man & Ant-Man certainly aren't street level, Black Panther barely qualifies. C'mon now.
    What does this have to do with my statement that more people watched Snyder's JL than F/WS?

The MCU is also appealing because Thor, GoTG, Thanos & the Infinity Stones, no? There's a legitimate case to be made that their super powered beings are more popular than their street level characters.

edit: Forgot Dr. Strange
    There's legitimate case to be made that their super powered beings are more popular than their street level characters
    Your own words and the examples you cited.

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    Your own words and the example you cited.
    You expected me to name all the MCU characters with powers to convey my point? Do Ant-Man & Iron-Man not have super powers?

Ultimate Member

Then why are Bucky and Sam in this discussion when both have powers?
    Is Bucky strong enough to be considered powerful? I'm legit unsure right now

Niffleheim

You expected me to name all the MCU characters with powers to convey my point? Do Ant-Man & Iron-Man not have super powers?
    Then why are you building a narrative without considering the full picture?

- BW is in danger of bombing, which was my point. Whether or not that makes you uncomfortable isn't really relevant, it's a fact, hence the distribution of the film.
    Relative to what tho?

- What I'm saying makes complete sense, so much so that many people over the past few pages have agreed, so I'm not what to tell you.

- Spider-Man nor Iron-Man are street level. The former, as has been pointed out, is bigger than comics besides. I'll give you Black Panther, but even that was a special case.

- Congratulations, two people on the internet agreed with you. That definitely trumps the facts I stated. (Why do I get the feeling I have to put an irony disclaimer?)

- Of course Spider-Man is street level. Definitely belongs more to the street level than in the over powered bracket you mentioned to be the MCU's biggest draw. And yeah, with Spidey and Batman there are two comic characters who evolved to a status bigger than comics and both are street level, that should maybe tell you something about your theory that no one cares for street levelers? No?

- The reason for the distribution model of the movie is the same reason why almost no big movies were released for more than a year now. Just google the word covid and you should get it. But let me get this straight, according to your logic Wonder Woman 1984, Dune, The Matrix 4, The Suicide Squad, Godzilla vs Kong and Mortal Kombat were respectively are all projected box office bombs? Mindblowing stuff.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

- Congratulations, two people on the internet agreed with you. That definitely trumps the facts I stated. (Why do I get the feeling I have to put an irony disclaimer?)

- Of course Spider-Man is street level. Definitely belongs more to the street level than in the over powered bracket you mentioned to be the MCU's biggest draw. And yeah, with Spidey and Batman there are two comic characters who evolved to a status bigger than comics and both are street level, that should maybe tell you something about your theory that no one cares for street levelers? No?

- The reason for the distribution model of the movie is the same reason why almost no big movies were released for more than a year now. Just google the word covid and you should get it. But let me get this straight, according to your logic Wonder Woman 1984, Dune, The Matrix 4, The Suicide Squad, Godzilla vs Kong and Mortal Kombat were respectively are all projected box office bombs? Mindblowing stuff.

Nothing but the facts .

With everything Marvel Studios releases earning more viewers or sales than the last, there is no way that Black Widow bombs.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Then why are you building a narrative without considering the full picture?
    What full picture am I not considering? Why are we pretending Spider-Man, Iron-Man, & Ant-Man don't have powers?

Quote Originally Posted by OblivionX33 View Post
    Relative to what tho?
    Relative to the general success of MCU films?

- You've not stated any facts.

- Spider-Man has powers, his supporting characters have powers, his villains have powers. He's a super powered being. Batman on the other hand has been a pop culture icon for nearly a century, affording him a level of clout IP's like Black Widow & Shang Chi don't have. Is it really fair to put them in his bracket?

- Black Widow is being distributed the same as Raya and the Last Dragon, I thought? Which is slightly different than the releases of the films you mentioned?

- You've not stated any facts.

- Spider-Man has powers, his supporting characters have powers, his villains have powers. He's a super powered being. Batman on the other hand has been a pop culture icon for nearly a century, affording him a level of clout IP's like Black Widow & Shang Chi don't have. Is it really fair to put them in his bracket?

- Black Widow is being distributed the same as Raya and the Last Dragon, I thought? Which is slightly different than the releases of the films you mentioned?
    - Black Panther, Iron Man 3 and Spider-Man FFH being the most successful MCU solo films is a fact. Another fact is that neither of these three characters can be described as belonging to, and I'm quoting your words directly, "MCU's hyper powered beings". Surely in a universe with Scarlet Witch, Thor, Captain Marvel, Doctor Strange, Vision, these three don't qualify as hyper powered?

- So now you are trying to remove the goal posts by changing your initial claim. In one post you were speaking of "hyper powered beings" and in another you were giving Thor, Thanos, Doctor Strange as examples, clearly indicating you were speaking of the high end power houses. Spider-Man though isn't remotely powered like these guys.

- There is one interesting question regarding the decision: Why did Disney postpone the release date from May to July? To me that makes only sense if they believe that BW can make them money, otherwise there would be no point in postponing the release date.

I'll tell you my theory (not a fact, as nobody writing on this board including you can claim to know the exact facts of the decision): My guess is that Disney speculates that in July more theaters will be open than in May and that there will be less restrictions regarding the maximum capacity for screenings due to more people getting the vaccine until then. So a movie's chances to make money should be better in July than in May. If Disney deemed BW as a surefire flop, why even bother postponing it to July? Why not just release it in May if it'll bomb anyway?

The next question is, why are they doing a hybrid release then? Well, I guess they realized that they can't postpone the movies any longer since they are connected with the Disney+ shows, so they have to put them out at last. But with this pandemic nobody can tell how things will look in three months. What if mutations of the virus spread across the country and the vaccines don't help against them so that theaters will have to close again come July? The day and date release on Disney+ secures that BW can be released in July even if cinemas are closed again. Disney wants to be on the safe side for the worst case scenario, but it's clearly not their preferred scenario. They want the majority of the population getting vaccinated until July, so that theaters can operate on a decent level and thus the movie can have a successful box office run regarding the circumstances.

- Black Panther, Iron Man 3 and Spider-Man FFH being the most successful MCU solo films is a fact. Another fact is that neither of these three characters can be described as belonging to, and I'm quoting your words directly, "MCU's hyper powered beings". Surely in a universe with Scarlet Witch, Thor, Captain Marvel, Doctor Strange, Vision, these three don't qualify as hyper powered?
    It's also a fact that Spider-Man & Iron-Man have powers. I'm of the opinion that the cultural implications behind Black Panther played a big factor in its success, though I've already conceded its success.

I'll quote myself since you've apparently missed my argument:

What does this have to do with my statement that more people watched Snyder's JL than F/WS?

The MCU is also appealing because Thor, GoTG, Thanos & the Infinity Stones, no? There's a legitimate case to be made that their super powered beings are more popular than their street level characters.

edit: Forgot Dr. Strange
    My point was clear, I don't understand why you're confused?

- So now you are trying to remove the goal posts by changing your initial claim. In one post you were speaking of "hyper powered beings" and in another you were giving Thor, Thanos, Doctor Strange as examples, clearly indicating you were speaking of the high end power houses. Spider-Man though isn't remotely powered like these guys.
    I don't need to move anything. Spider-Man has powers, Iron-Man has powers, Black Widow does not.

You can rationalize it however you want, the fact remains the MCU's hyper powered beings are arguably their biggest draws.
    Okay, you aren't moving goal posts, thus you claim that Spider-Man, Iron Man and Black Panther are hyper powered beings. Fair enough.