Page 118 of 775 FirstFirst ... 1868108114115116117118119120121122128168218618 ... LastLast
Results 1,756 to 1,770 of 11623

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    It’s funny you say that since, based on what I’ve seen, people seem to view monster of the week type episodes as the filler that drags out storylines.
    What I meant is that in the olden days, those episodes were entirely self-contained and were not part of wider story arcs. So the storylines couldn't be dragged out. But I guess you could still call them fillers if they didn't really advance the plot of the overall series. However, some Star Trek and X-Files standalone episodes were the most acclaimed from those shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    That's cool. I'm not a fan of most sitcoms from that era because they're kinda corny IMO. But some are good
    Sitcoms didn't get nearly as cynical as they did later on. I never considered Married with Children and Roseanne to be cynical. Just dysfunctional.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    What I meant is that in the olden days, those episodes were entirely self-contained and were not part of wider story arcs. So the storylines couldn't be dragged out. But I guess you could still call them fillers if they didn't really advance the plot of the overall series. However, some Star Trek and X-Files standalone episodes were the most acclaimed from those shows.
    Sitcoms didn't get nearly as cynical as they did later on. I never considered Married with Children and Roseanne to be cynical. Just dysfunctional.
    I'd say at least Star Trek stands out, which is generally why I enjoy watching the older episodes

Me not being a steady reader of comics hurts my understanding of this type of hyper-serialized storytelling. I'm used to the Quantum Leap/Twilight Zone/Star Trek/Law & Order/Simpsons/MacGyver/Maury style of television where you didn't have to watch previous episodes to understand the current episode you were viewing. I don't really watch new shows besides PBS documentaries, so I'm not even sure if the television format I'm used to is still being used today!!!

When I watched Touched by an Angel, Picket Fences, or the Commish episodes back in the day, I knew the stories they told were DONE once the credits started rolling.
    Even in the MCU, it's been happening since Tony showed up in the Incredible Hulk. Appearances of characters teasing the future is the norm.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Clea View Post
    Before the MCU, the more common way to determine who the A listers are is to say who has the power to generate tons of sales based on their name recognition alone among comics fans. I'd say that would be Spiderman, Iron Man, Hulk, and Wolverine.
    Iron Man BEFORE the mcu...? I don't know about that.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    Iron Man BEFORE the mcu...? I don't know about that.
    Tony had stretches where he was extremely popular. He floated between A-list and B-list depending on who was writing him, but everybody knew who he was. I still dither or whether or not I consider the FF to be A-list characters in the comics, because they've been around forever and everybody's heard of them even if they never read their books.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

No, I got what you were saying. I just found it interesting how views have changed over time is all.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Ultimate Member

Let's hope Taskmaster survives!

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Even in the MCU, it's been happening since Tony showed up in the Incredible Hulk. Appearances of characters teasing the future is the norm.
    Tease is the correct word though.

Other than direct sequels, you can watch any of hte movies by themselves and understand 95% what is going on.

They all play in the same universe but they don't depend on the other movies for anything.

Hell, you could watch Avengers and understand all of it without seeing any of hte solo movies. You wouldn't get the depth in the characters but it would still be a single story with a beginning, middle, and end.

The TV shows need to keep that same energy. Same universe, but their own thing. Beginning, middle, end.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Tease is the correct word though.

Other than direct sequels, you can watch any of hte movies by themselves and understand 95% what is going on.

They all play in the same universe but they don't depend on the other movies for anything.

Hell, you could watch Avengers and understand all of it without seeing any of hte solo movies. You wouldn't get the depth in the characters but it would still be a single story with a beginning, middle, and end.

The TV shows need to keep that same energy. Same universe, but their own thing. Beginning, middle, end.
    Agree. IMO following these movies isn't too hard

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    I'm looking forward to this, but if it's going to be Disney Plus Premier at a cost of $30, I'll have to wait until they release it at a normal price.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Clea View Post
    I'm looking forward to this, but if it's going to be Disney Plus Premier at a cost of $30, I'll have to wait until they release it at a normal price.
    Where I live, two movie tickets and a soft drink costs more than $30. So the D+ option is cheaper than going to a theater. And safer. And same day.

To each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Where I live, two movie tickets and a soft drink costs more than $30. So the D+ option is cheaper than going to a theater. And safer. And same day.

To each their own.
    I was pretty pissed about the $30 charge when Disney first did it for....whatever the movie was, and didn't like the idea of them charging me extra when I already sub. But you "own" the film as long as you subscribe to D+ so there's plenty of re-watch potential, and for my family where me, my wife, my son, and sometimes our daughter, drive 40 minutes to the nice theater, then have to get snacks and drinks and tickets.....$30 is cheaper than what we usually spend going to the movies.

So Widow is something we'll definitely grab on Disney+. Despite my initial reluctance about the $30 thing, it's not that bad a deal really. Until we're all vaccinated the theater isn't a place we're gonna spend much time so it's not like we have a ton of options anyway.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Mighty Member

https://www.cbr.com/black-widow-rele...pset-theaters/

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/256...ansson-cruella

Two articles I thought some might find interesting. Not sure if it's much ado about nothing but thought it interesting nonetheless