Page 169 of 775 FirstFirst ... 69119159165166167168169170171172173179219269669 ... LastLast
Results 2,521 to 2,535 of 11619
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    Marvel's Eternals Trailer Numbers The Good & "Marvel first Bomb"

Note- i notice certain types on the internet who says eternals will be marvel's first bomb are the ones who want phase 4 to fail as well etc..and even the future mcu.
    You mean like those bitter anti-SJW types?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    You mean like those bitter anti-SJW types?
    Yes.
    You got it.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    Yes.
    You got it.
    Jeez, why can't they crawl back under a rock? Phase 4 has a lot of interesting projects, some with the potential to be better than the previous movies. But OMG, not every hero's a White male! SJWs are destroying Marvel!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Jeez, why can't they crawl back under a rock? Phase 4 has a lot of interesting projects, some with the potential to be better than the previous movies. But OMG, not every hero's a White male! SJWs are destroying Marvel!
    If movie companies could thrive on just the angry white male audience, they'd continue pumping out movies in that vein, as they did for most of my life.

These days, the audience demographic has changed, and they can make a lot more money by creating and pushing characters that appeal to a more diverse audience. If they add a billion dollars worth of sales to those who like that, and lose a couple thousand ticket sales because of hardcore anti-SJWs, they're still doing the American capitalist dream, going where the money is, same as they always did.

I'm an old white guy, but I'm strapped into this ride, and I could bitch and moan about it not just being for me anymore (and it was *never* just for me, since the 'white people' in Hollywood were always like teen supermodels who had rich parents, so *never* really 'represented' me anyway, no matter how white I was), or I can sit back and enjoy it with everyone else.

Same with comics. Tony Stark and Bruce Wayne sure the hell never 'represented' me. My parents weren't billionaires that kicked off when I was a kid and left me with unimaginable wealth, a company that more or less runs itself and serves as my personal piggy bank and a crusty butler to cook my meals and do my laundry.

So if Tony or Bruce suddenly get retconned to be black or Asian, they aren't really going to 'take them from me.' They were never remotely relatable to me anyway.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    If movie companies could thrive on just the angry white male audience, they'd continue pumping out movies in that vein, as they did for most of my life.

These days, the audience demographic has changed, and they can make a lot more money by creating and pushing characters that appeal to a more diverse audience. If they add a billion dollars worth of sales to those who like that, and lose a couple thousand ticket sales because of hardcore anti-SJWs, they're still doing the American capitalist dream, going where the money is, same as they always did.

I'm an old white guy, but I'm strapped into this ride, and I could bitch and moan about it not just being for me anymore (and it was *never* just for me, since the 'white people' in Hollywood were always like teen supermodels who had rich parents, so *never* really 'represented' me anyway, no matter how white I was), or I can sit back and enjoy it with everyone else.

Same with comics. Tony Stark and Bruce Wayne sure the hell never 'represented' me. My parents weren't billionaires that kicked off when I was a kid and left me with unimaginable wealth, a company that more or less runs itself and serves as my personal piggy bank and a crusty butler to cook my meals and do my laundry.

So if Tony or Bruce suddenly get retconned to be black or Asian, they aren't really going to 'take them from me.' They were never remotely relatable to me anyway.
    Ironic how these people only complain about capitalism when they have to see women and PoC in their movies. Never mind all the actual horrendous things capitalism has done.

I find most of these heroes relatable to some extent, depending on how much of their inner emotions are displayed. I've never totally felt represented by any of these heroes, at least ethnicity-wise. I don't even really need someone like Tony or Bruce to be racebent, considering there are many more ethnically diverse heroes coming to the MCU now

Hello fellow old white guy (born: '55)

I've never had a problem with the increasing diversity, but to some degree, Marvel was always moving in this direction since way back; it's just been more full-throttle I suppose.
    Since I grew up in Detroit for the vast part of my life, I'm no i stranger to diversity in most forms so none of this seems to bother me.
    I look at the MCU as the next, logical view of Marvel Comics. For years female creators and characters have also been very up and front. Anti SJW types in comic fandom are just wrong.
    All serialized literature, fiction, media is ultimately about change.
    PS to Elton John, comic book heroes DO grow old, or should.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Replacement and Legacy characters is one aspect of Marvel the movies and show could do better than the comic. They have less a need to reset than comics do.

The criticism of the Eternals teaser is overblown. It's not really interesting or catchy but I'm open to giving it another trailer before I make up my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I'm sensing another IM3 situation where Tony was 'retired' at the end of that movie because RD Jr's contract was up and then we all waited with bated breath until the announcement that he signed on to do Avengers 2 and 3.

I think NWH will serve as a quasi 'finale' to Holland's Spider-Man trilogy and we will have to wait a bit until the Disney/Sony announces their new contract terms. I hope it's Marvel getting more control over Spider-Man while Sony employees get discounts at Disney world or something like that.
    I think you might be right. Granted, Holland actually has a few cameo appearances before his contract ends so his "semi-retirement" might be in one of those rather than his last solo film, but I won't be surprised if Marvel gives Holland a open-ended ending so that he can return if Sony decides to play ball and re-up the contract, but if they decide to go their own way Parker's story in the MCU can still be called complete.

As for those idiot anti-SJW's who say Eternals (or any film that's not about a straight white dude) is the end of the MCU.....they're not even worth the commentary. Just a bunch of assholes on the internet who hate everything (mostly themselves, I'd guess) and are always wrong. I look forward to Eternals doing solid post-pandemic numbers. I doubt we'll see crazy Avengers-level box office; a lot of people are probably still going to be avoiding crowds when this hits, but there's absolutely zero reason to think the film will bomb.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I think you might be right. Granted, Holland actually has a few cameo appearances before his contract ends so his "semi-retirement" might be in one of those rather than his last solo film, but I won't be surprised if Marvel gives Holland a open-ended ending so that he can return if Sony decides to play ball and re-up the contract, but if they decide to go their own way Parker's story in the MCU can still be called complete.

As for those idiot anti-SJW's who say Eternals (or any film that's not about a straight white dude) is the end of the MCU.....they're not even worth the commentary. Just a bunch of assholes on the internet who hate everything (mostly themselves, I'd guess) and are always wrong. I look forward to Eternals doing solid post-pandemic numbers. I doubt we'll see crazy Avengers-level box office; a lot of people are probably still going to be avoiding crowds when this hits, but there's absolutely zero reason to think the film will bomb.
    Yeah, we should probably ignore those people.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Figure they'd put so much emphasis on him being a teenager and using certain Ultimate influences and then never do college...

Mighty Member

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-b1856319.html

Gotta say, this I wasn't expecting
    Last edited by CTTT; 05-30-2021 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    Sounds like a load of bollocks to me.

They fired but later forgave and rehired James Gunn for pedo jokes he made years ago but this is where they draw the line? I don't buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Sounds like a load of bollocks to me.

They fired but later forgave and rehired James Gunn for pedo jokes he made years ago but this is where they draw the line? I don't buy it.
    You're comparing apples to oranges. The article says Marvel reprimanded Taika for being seen to be (supposedly) involved with two women at the same time, feeling it was not the image they want to project. He is, as I understand, married but separated, and one of the women in the photo is someone who he's just been directing in one of Marvel's big budget films - I'm not totally shocked that they'd worry a little about the situation's potential to blow up and affect profits. Telling him off for not keeping his private life private when the expensive new Thor film is in the works is not the same as being fired for something that you did and apologised for before Marvel ever hired you. Marvel rehired Gunn after taking flack for firing him in what was seen as an unjust PR move.

It's totally absurd. First of all, he did keep his life private. Those photos were of paparazzi invading their privacy and should be nobody's business.

And nobody is gonna skip the movie just because the director had a good consensual afternoon with one of the stars. Heck, they aren't even kissing, he just has his arm around her while he's kissing someone else.
    Last edited by Alpha; 05-31-2021 at 02:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    It's totally absurd. First of all, he did keep his life private. Those photos were of paparazzi invading their privacy and should be nobody's business.

And nobody is gonna skip the movie just because the director had a good consensual afternoon with one of the stars. Heck, they aren't even kissing, he just has his arm around her while he's kissing someone else.
    I know, it's like 'oh my gosh, I'm getting the vapors', <fanning themselves> Polyamory of any sort is the last taboo, I suppose.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all