Page 184 of 776 FirstFirst ... 84134174180181182183184185186187188194234284684 ... LastLast
Results 2,746 to 2,760 of 11639

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    While I'm not huge on how Mantis was adapted, I remember a lot of people complained the female characters were too uptight or not smiley enough or whatever, so maybe Mantis was supposed to be different from that
    That does kind of remind me how Gunn kind of filled Gamora into the token female character role of always having to be the sensible straight man to the nonsense going on with the guys...and also not being anywhere near as dangerous as she is in the comics (despite still having the reputation).

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That does kind of remind me how Gunn kind of filled Gamora into the token female character role of always having to be the sensible straight man to the nonsense going on with the guys...and also not being anywhere near as dangerous as she is in the comics (despite still having the reputation).
    I would've liked if she'd been shown to be more dangerous. But I remember that criticism when the first one came out, only to see the reverse for Mantis. Which, in isolation is fair, if the adaptations aren't true ro rhe souce material. Bur every time a female character is serious she's criticized for not being vulnerable or smiling or such. Despite the MCU having much more of a problen not giving the heroines much to do. I've seen people here and elsewhere describe MCU superheroines as snarling or mean, despite the male heroes actually being far more caustic and confrontational. They can't meet each other without fighting or insulting each other. Yet its the women who get criticized for not being cheery or humorous

Ultimate Member

I hated 616 Mantis. Gunn did what I would have thought impossible and made a version that I liked even less...

I don't really care for Rocket, and don't like Drax, but that's pretty much 100% spot-on for thoughts on the comic characters. (I liked Drax when he was thinner, flew and shot energy blasts (and had a brain). When he came back as a 'roided-moron with a knife fetish, not so much, and that's not Gunn's fault.)

But his Groot, and his interpretation of Ego, in particular, damn. When he's on, he's on.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post

But his Groot, and his interpretation of Ego, in particular, damn. When he's on, he's on.
    Which is why I like GoG more. It seemed he was more controlled by producers so he didn't let his worst qualities out.

GoG2, it just seemed like they let him do what he wanted and he had really high highs and really low lows.

And don't get me started on the stupid invinsible drax thing in Infinity War. I can' tbelieve they let that through the editing process.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I would've liked if she'd been shown to be more dangerous. But I remember that criticism when the first one came out, only to see the reverse for Mantis. Which, in isolation is fair, if the adaptations aren't true ro rhe souce material. Bur every time a female character is serious she's criticized for not being vulnerable or smiling or such. Despite the MCU having much more of a problen not giving the heroines much to do. I've seen people here and elsewhere describe MCU superheroines as snarling or mean, despite the male heroes actually being far more caustic and confrontational. They can't meet each other without fighting or insulting each other. Yet its the women who get criticized for not being cheery or humorous
    That's not necesarilly been my problem with any of their female characters, although that does remind me of why Hope isn't my favorite Wasp, but I was more talking from an individual character perspective.
    I hated 616 Mantis. Gunn did what I would have thought impossible and made a version that I liked even less...

I don't really care for Rocket, and don't like Drax, but that's pretty much 100% spot-on for thoughts on the comic characters. (I liked Drax when he was thinner, flew and shot energy blasts (and had a brain). When he came back as a 'roided-moron with a knife fetish, not so much, and that's not Gunn's fault.)

Honestly I feel like that describes Gunn's Drax more than it does comic Drax even after the DnA tinkering. He certainly wasn't as dumb.

The Guardians movie are overhyped to me. I like them but I don't love them. I prefer the second one than the first. They are fun side characters.

One good thing about them is they pulled off handling an ensemble cast. Granted the one exception is Drax. I think Gunn ran out of things for him to do. Although there is his daughter who became a hero named Moondragon.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 06-29-2021 at 09:57 AM.

I enjoyed both Guardians movies but agree with Gunn's humor being very hit or miss. It's sophomoric and too dudebro a lot of the time, which will probably work for Suicide Squad since that's the audience but it doesn't always work for guardians. I cringed at the misogynistic lines about Gamora being a green whore and Mantis being ugly, they were just unnecessary.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That's not necesarilly been my problem with any of their female characters, although that does remind me of why Hope isn't my favorite Wasp, but I was more talking from an individual character perspective.
    I liked Hope, but I didn't like how she was treated in the movies. As for Janet, she definitely got a poor adaptation

I like Janet being involved in the sciences in the MCU. I just don't like how limited her role is in the movie-verse. And that it cost her the credit of helping form the Avengers, name the Avengers, lead the team, help fund the team. She was so much more important to it in the comics. And all that was erased. Now retroactively in comics they don't really acknowledge all she did for the team. They even gave naming the team to Voyager. *vomits*
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    I like Janet being involved in the sciences in the MCU. I just don't like how limited her role is in the movie-verse. And that it cost her the credit of helping form the Avengers, name the Avengers, lead the team, help fund the team. She was so much more important to it in the comics. And all that was erased. Now retroactively in comics they don't really acknowledge all she did for the team. They even gave naming the team to Voyager. *vomits*
    Yeah, it's too bad for her. Idk why it has to affect her in the comics, especially since the reverse didn't happen for Wanda

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    I cringed at the misogynistic lines about Gamora being a green whore and Mantis being ugly, they were just unnecessary.
    In what way was the Mantis joke misogynistic?

Mighty Member

https://www.cbr.com/marvel-shang-chi...ion-confirmed/

Kinda funny that Feige had to confirm this. Youtube videos who point out all the easter eggs could have told you that it was Abomination and Wong fighting in the cage.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    One good thing about them is they pulled off handling an ensemble cast. Granted the one exception is Drax. I think Gunn ran out of things for him to do. Although there is his daughter who became a hero named Moondragon.
    Since we had precedent that Thanos liked to 'save' little girls from his genocides and raise them as his daughters, including the line from GOG1 from Nebula "Of all of our sisters, I hated you least,' there certainly could have been a Moondragon, the former daughter of Drax, Kymera (sp?), raised by Thanos as one of his daughters, and maybe empowered by the Mind Stone (which was in his possession before he lent it to Loki, and, again, precedent with the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver showed that an Infinity Stone could be used to kickstart powers in people, which, if even Hydra could just sort of figure it out, certainly *Thanos* could have done!).

It would have flowed interestingly with the whole 'family' theme that was running through both Guardians films, having Drax encounter his fully-grown daughter, raised by his worst enemy and perhaps convinced that he abandoned her to that madman's clutches.

Missed opportunity, IMO.

But really, the list of Guardians I would have wanted to see other than Mantis starts with Cosmo and ends with Aleta, and Nikki's on it twice.

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    I cringed at the misogynistic lines about Gamora being a green whore and Mantis being ugly, they were just unnecessary.
    The 'whore' line super bugged me, not *only* for being tone-deaf, but because it came after it was excruciatingly pointed out that Drax's people are completely literal and incapable of metaphor. So he couldn't call Gamora a whore unless he actually thought she was a prostitute. Which he didn't.

Murderer. Killer. Psychopath. Assassin. Butcher. Any of those could have passed. But 'whore' was completely wrong for him to say, after the whole 'completely literal' thing.

And yeah, *also* offensive. :/
    Last edited by Sutekh; 06-29-2021 at 01:29 PM.

Ultimate Member

Yeah, I don't think that line aged well. Heck, it probably wasn't appropriate then

I thought it was a cool take on how Skurge could've been used.

Since we had precedent that Thanos liked to 'save' little girls from his genocides and raise them as his daughters, including the line from GOG1 from Nebula "Of all of our sisters, I hated you least,' there certainly could have been a Moondragon, the former daughter of Drax, Kymera (sp?), raised by Thanos as one of his daughters, and maybe empowered by the Mind Stone (which was in his possession before he lent it to Loki, and, again, precedent with the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver showed that an Infinity Stone could be used to kickstart powers in people, which, if even Hydra could just sort of figure it out, certainly *Thanos* could have done!).

It would have flowed interestingly with the whole 'family' theme that was running through both Guardians films, having Drax encounter his fully-grown daughter, raised by his worst enemy and perhaps convinced that he abandoned her to that madman's clutches.

Missed opportunity, IMO.

But really, the list of Guardians I would have wanted to see other than Mantis starts with Cosmo and ends with Aleta, and Nikki's on it twice.

The 'whore' line super bugged me, not *only* for being tone-deaf, but because it came after it was excruciatingly pointed out that Drax's people are completely literal and incapable of metaphor. So he couldn't call Gamora a whore unless he actually thought she was a prostitute. Which he didn't.

Murderer. Killer. Psychopath. Assassin. Butcher. Any of those could have passed. But 'whore' was completely wrong for him to say, after the whole 'completely literal' thing.

And yeah, *also* offensive. :/
    I agree about how they could've tied Moondragon with Thanos but they still could tie her to the Eternals.