Page 186 of 775 FirstFirst ... 86136176182183184185186187188189190196236286686 ... LastLast
Results 2,776 to 2,790 of 11617
    BANNED

The fact here is Jan was never gonna be all that important in the MCU, it has nothing to do with Captain Marvel or even Ike Perlmutter's belief that female superheroes aren't profitable, I can't say I know exactly what Edgar Wright's original version of the film was gonna be like but I can't imagine it was all that different story wise, where Jan was lost in a flashback and the main female lead of the movie was Hope, who would later become Wasp, so Jan getting all these important moments and stuff in the MCU wouldn't make sense or work as anything than a comic reference, even in the case they went with Hank and Jan over Scott and Hope as the main Ant-Man and the Wasp, it still would've been long after the Avengers team up before they could interest with the team.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Metro View Post
    The fact here is Jan was never gonna be all that important in the MCU, it has nothing to do with Captain Marvel or even Ike Perlmutter's belief that female superheroes aren't profitable, I can't say I know exactly what Edgar Wright's original version of the film was gonna be like but I can't imagine it was all that different story wise, where Jan was lost in a flashback and the main female lead of the movie was Hope, who would later become Wasp, so Jan getting all these important moments and stuff in the MCU wouldn't make sense or work as anything than a comic reference, even in the case they went with Hank and Jan over Scott and Hope as the main Ant-Man and the Wasp, it still would've been long after the Avengers team up before they could interest with the team.
    But why exactly would she never be part of thr plan?

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I thought she was tied up in Wright's Ant-Man movie and that's why Marvel went with Hawkeye and Widow?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    I thought she was tied up in Wright's Ant-Man movie and that's why Marvel went with Hawkeye and Widow?
    That's what I thought, although some have said she was never in Wright's script. I also heard somewhere Widow might've been in the movie anyway, but I could be wrong.

It's not explained online.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...ematicUniverse
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 06-30-2021 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Metro View Post
    The main reason Wasp is even as relevant, especially Jan, is because of the changes they made to the original Ant-Man script, I believe.

Ultimate Member

Part of the problem seems to be taking so long to make AM1.

Comics really haven't treated Jan much better in recent history.

IF I remember correctly, she doesn't have a single solo series right?
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post

Yeah, I don't think she has. For some reason she gets somewhat ignored. I'm not sure why she's supposed to be sidelined in the comics just because the movies don't seem to care about her. It seems a lot of the side Avengers haven't had much luck recently. Is it an editorial thing, or is it the writers?

Yeah, I don't think she has. For some reason she gets somewhat ignored. I'm not sure why she's supposed to be sidelined in the comics just because the movies don't seem to care about her. It seems a lot of the side Avengers haven't had much luck recently. Is it an editorial thing, or is it the writers?
    I'd say more editorial than the writers. Most writers are freelance and don't always get to pitch their own projects. They are recruited to flesh out an existing project.Even if they did pitch a Wasp centered project, the editorial has to greenlight it.

The film industry works similar. Most writers are pitched a project to flesh out by a producer.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 07-01-2021 at 08:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post

The only Wasp series is Nadia's, who was introduced entirely for movie synergy with a second Wasp.

So, yeah, not the ideal situation.

Astonishing Member

Because the movies are not, will not be, and never have been a direct adaption of the comics. Introducing characters and developing them take time and the runtime of a movie is a limited resource. In the first Avengers movie, the main ensemble of the team were always going to be characters that headlined their own movie or were already introduced. Trying to introduce Janet Van Dyne into the movie would have to be an additional plot line in a movie that's already just under 2 1/2 hours.

There's a saying in writing called "kill your darlings". It means you should eliminate any element that does not serve the overall story, no matter how much you like it. Including Janet to reflect her history and importance in the comics does not serve the overall story of the first Avengers movie.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I'd say more editorial than the writers. Most writers are freelance and don't always get to pitch their own projects. They are recruited to flesh out an existing project.Even if they did pitch a Wasp centered project, the editorial has to greenlight it.

The film industry works similar. Most writers are pitched a project to flesh out by a producer.
    Ok. Then i wonder why editorial doesn't care much for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The only Wasp series is Nadia's, who was introduced entirely for movie synergy with a second Wasp.

So, yeah, not the ideal situation.
    I actually like the idea of a female hero getting a female legacy hero, because that doesn't seem to happen mich in Marvel. I just don't think one heroine should be promoted at the expense of another.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    Because the movies are not, will not be, and never have been a direct adaption of the comics. Introducing characters and developing them take time and the runtime of a movie is a limited resource. In the first Avengers movie, the main ensemble of the team were always going to be characters that headlined their own movie or were already introduced. Trying to introduce Janet Van Dyne into the movie would have to be an additional plot line in a movie that's already just under 2 1/2 hours.

There's a saying in writing called "kill your darlings". It means you should eliminate any element that does not serve the overall story, no matter how much you like it. Including Janet to reflect her history and importance in the comics does not serve the overall story of the first Avengers movie.
    I'm quite aware of that. I meant the plan in general for the MCU.

I actually like the idea of a female hero getting a female legacy hero, because that doesn't seem to happen mich in Marvel. I just don't think one heroine should be promoted at the expense of another.
    I'm not against it either, I just feel like if we're going to get a Wasp series, it should be about a new Wasp and not someone who was introduced relatively recently for movie synergy.