Page 19 of 775 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969119519 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Kree and Skrulls are both basically different flavours of asses. Like the Sontarans and Rutans in Doctor Who, both probably just view Earth as a battleground. Clearly though the Skrulls are being established for Avengers: Secret Invasion in the next couple of years...

Nova and Shang-Chi both seem like decent choices for new solo franchises at Marvel. They’ll probably want to be selective about what ones they stick on the screen and what ones to have on TV or on Disney+... Shang Chi could have suited as a decent replacement for Daredevil or Iron Fist...

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I could be that I have seen so many super hero and Marvel trailers that it takes something "whoa" to get me going. Like I have been desensitized by awesome.
    I know what you mean. Its like, after the craziness that was Infinity War, this almost looks mundane.

I think Ant-Man & Wasp (the only other movie to hit between IW and A4) avoided some of these comparisons because that movie is basically a comedy, but Carol's film is being built like a 90's action movie (I totally called that way back when too!) so there's going to be more tonal overlap with IW.

Still, Carol looks amazing, the effects are great, and that scene with her blowing up spaceships? Ive been waiting years to a see a fight like that in a movie. That sh*t made me giddy.

I dont think there's anything wrong with the trailer at all......I think we've just been spoiled by the Avengers.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I know what you mean. Its like, after the craziness that was Infinity War, this almost looks mundane.

I think Ant-Man & Wasp (the only other movie to hit between IW and A4) avoided some of these comparisons because that movie is basically a comedy, but Carol's film is being built like a 90's action movie (I totally called that way back when too!) so there's going to be more tonal overlap with IW.

Still, Carol looks amazing, the effects are great, and that scene with her blowing up spaceships? Ive been waiting years to a see a fight like that in a movie. That sh*t made me giddy.

I dont think there's anything wrong with the trailer at all......I think we've just been spoiled by the Avengers.
    More like it was promoted as small scale movie(no pun intended), which it delivered. Both in trailers and the actual movie. But they've been making such a big deal about Carol, and I see the trailer and I'm like, "Okaay?"

Not even just for Avengers, at least for me. This goes back to CW

- CW: one ofhte most known event comics ever + introducing Spider-Man and Black Panhter

- DS: introducing true magic to the mcu

- GoG2: sequel to the wildly loved GoG

- SMHC: return of Spider-Man!

- Thor 3: oh ****, hela just destroyed Mjolnir, OH **** HULK!

- BP: for me personally, fav character ever on screen. For a whole group of people (blacks), it felt like a moment

- IW: self explanatory

That is a long run of trailers/movies that just straight tickled my brain.

then we get AM2 thrown in (this has got to be the least talked abotu marvel movie sense Thor 2 lol), a HUGE ass gap where most people are more interested in what is going on in Avengers Untitled...

then Carol is thrown in there, and the hook seems to be "shes a woman" lol.

Once again, it doesn't matter what I think because I'll be there opening weekend with cash lol
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    More like it was promoted as small scale movie(no pun intended), which it delivered. Both in trailers and the actual movie. But they've been making such a big deal about Carol, and I see the trailer and I'm like, "Okaay?"
    This is also true.

AM2 was always just kinda "there." It was never promoted as being anything but a small scale comedy about family essentially.

CM came out promising the most powerful hero, Fury is paging her right before being snapped, it leads into Avengers 4 to an extent. It is more than "just there." So you keep waiting for that moment in the trailers that makes you go, "OH **** YES THAT RIGHT THERE!!!!"
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

This is also true.

AM2 was always just kinda "there." It was never promoted as being anything but a small scale comedy about family essentially.

CM came out promising the most powerful hero, Fury is paging her right before being snapped, it leads into Avengers 4 to an extent. It is more than "just there." So you keep waiting for that moment in the trailers that makes you go, "OH **** YES THAT RIGHT THERE!!!!"
    I thought the space battle at the end of the trailer was cool but these trailers for the most part remind me of the Ant-Man (2015) trailers where they were ok but nothing gut me hyped. Now to be fair I came to love the Ant-Man franchises so this could be awesome.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

This is also true.

It sounds like the moment you're waiting for won't happen until the A4 trailer

Personally, the entire "I'm not here to fight your war, I'm here to end it" followed by a shot of her going full Binary in space while destroying ships from beams of energy coming from her hands did it for me. That's all I needed.

Also happy to hear about the Shang-Chi news and idea of Nova coming to the MCU.

I think so far Captain Marvel looks like a solid MCU solo movie with the potential to be something more.

That final scene at the end with Carol full-on Binary and blowing ships up definitely looks like it'll be pretty awesome though .

New episode of Marvel’s Mightiest Podcast just posted. My reaction to the Captain Marvel trailer https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...445355087?mt=2
    “Marvel Fan Rave Podcast” on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and more.

That is a long run of trailers/movies that just straight tickled my brain.
    The shot of Carol in the big space fight did that for me. Star Wars space battles with a superhero in the middle? F*ck yea! I just hope it's balls-out crazy; not a dozen ships but hundreds. I want it as over the top as it can get.

Rest of the trailer was......its good. I like what Im seeing, yknow? But the stakes seem awfully average, with the shadow of A4 hanging over us. And Brie's Carol is.....softer.....than I envision the character. But not so much that it really bothers me.

Of course, Im gonna be there opening weekend too; they had my ticket money the second they announced the movie years ago. When they announced this and BP, man......that was it. These are the two movies I've been the most excited for.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Rest of the trailer was......its good. I like what Im seeing, yknow? But the stakes seem awfully average, with the shadow of A4 hanging over us. And Brie's Carol is.....softer.....than I envision the character. But not so much that it really bothers me.
    She's usually been depicted in the past few years as this gruff and commanding lady, so Brie Larson's more softer and younger Carol is a bit of a departure.

Granted, she's been brainwashed so who knows if we'll even get a good sense of her actual personality until the very end of the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    She's usually been depicted in the past few years as this gruff and commanding lady, so Brie Larson's more softer and younger Carol is a bit of a departure.

Granted, she's been brainwashed so who knows if we'll even get a good sense of her actual personality until the very end of the movie.
    Well, KSD's Carol wasn't as gruff and commanding as she's ended up being the last few years and we know KSD's run is the movie's main inspiration; plus all those years where Carol wasn't being pushed into Marvel's role of "most badass female." I feel like Reed put Carol on the path to being more serious and stoic, and KSD maintained that direction, but it wasn't as overwhelming a trait until after DeConnick left. Or so it seems to me at the moment anyway.

I also wonder if it wasn't a purposeful decision by Marvel Studios to make sure Carol was a little warmer and....nicer, I guess, for lack of a better word. This is their first female solo lead; perhaps they wanted to avoid complaints of Carol being too "butch" or whatever. I mean, we see that kind of crap thrown at the comics over nothing more than a haircut yknow? And when the only other female to have her name in a movie title (Wasp, obvs) had a pretty clear and definite bitchy streak to her I could see the Studio making an effort to ensure Carol doesn't go full-tilt "drill instructor."

Now.....this Shang Chi rumor.......I gotta ask this, and I know its opening a can of worms but f**k it. So a recent article on CBR mentions how a Shang Chi movie might help make up for the mistake of Iron Fist and the "white washing" the series saw. Pretty sure they meant "cultural appropriation" but anyway......let me ask this; Iron Fist got a pile of crap because of the "white savior" troupe. Is it actually better to have Shang Chi? I feel like it's still kinda questionable. He's Chinese, so of course he's gotta be a kung fu master ripped straight out of Hong Kong cinema, right? Doesn't that strike anyone else as being equally as bad as Iron Fist being a white guy who studied in Kun Lun? I mean, I remember all these people talking about how Iron Fist should be Asian. Why? Because martial arts? That's f**king racist isn't it? And for the first MCU movie starring an Asian actor to also be a martial arts film? I dunno, Im not bothered by this sorta stuff, especially with characters invented in less enlightened eras, but if people are going to throw a fit about Danny Rand being a white savior I feel like it's equally worthy of complaining about Marvel's first/biggest martial artist to be Chinese.

I got no issue with Shang Chi, and I think it'd be great to see the "martial arts/Bruce Lee/Hong Kong cinema" genre explored in the MCU. And Shang ended up with duplication powers right? That'd be cool to see, if they went that way with the movie. But is it better to be a stereotype or to "steal" an aspect of another culture? I feel like there's no winning with this. >shrug<

~ Black Panther.

Well, KSD's Carol wasn't as gruff and commanding as she's ended up being the last few years and we know KSD's run is the movie's main inspiration; plus all those years where Carol wasn't being pushed into Marvel's role of "most badass female." I feel like Reed put Carol on the path to being more serious and stoic, and KSD maintained that direction, but it wasn't as overwhelming a trait until after DeConnick left. Or so it seems to me at the moment anyway.
    KSD's Carol was definitely not Carol "You're Under Arrest" Danvers, which has probably got to be one of the more controversial and less popular depictions of Carol thanks to Civil War II, although she did sound like a more experienced and older woman then Larson's comes off as in my opinion.
    I also wonder if it wasn't a purposeful decision by Marvel Studios to make sure Carol was a little warmer and....nicer, I guess, for lack of a better word. This is their first female solo lead; perhaps they wanted to avoid complaints of Carol being too "butch" or whatever. I mean, we see that kind of crap thrown at the comics over nothing more than a haircut yknow? And when the only other female to have her name in a movie title (Wasp, obvs) had a pretty clear and definite bitchy streak to her I could see the Studio making an effort to ensure Carol doesn't go full-tilt "drill instructor."
    I don't think a Carol with a stick up her butt like I feel she's depicted at times (most notably in the current Avengers cartoons) would have gone over very well as the lead of her own solo movie, so I think the change might work in that respect.

I think the writers of the movie said they didn't want to lose the character's femininity or female perspective when crafting the story and Carol's depiction, so that might have played a part.
    Now.....this Shang Chi rumor.......I gotta ask this, and I know its opening a can of worms but f**k it. So a recent article on CBR mentions how a Shang Chi movie might help make up for the mistake of Iron Fist and the "white washing" the series saw. Pretty sure they meant "cultural appropriation" but anyway......let me ask this; Iron Fist got a pile of crap because of the "white savior" troupe. Is it actually better to have Shang Chi? I feel like it's still kinda questionable. He's Chinese, so of course he's gotta be a kung fu master ripped straight out of Hong Kong cinema, right? Doesn't that strike anyone else as being equally as bad as Iron Fist being a white guy who studied in Kun Lun? I mean, I remember all these people talking about how Iron Fist should be Asian. Why? Because martial arts? That's f**king racist isn't it? And for the first MCU movie starring an Asian actor to also be a martial arts film? I dunno, Im not bothered by this sorta stuff, especially with characters invented in less enlightened eras, but if people are going to throw a fit about Danny Rand being a white savior I feel like it's equally worthy of complaining about Marvel's first/biggest martial artist to be Chinese.

I got no issue with Shang Chi, and I think it'd be great to see the "martial arts/Bruce Lee/Hong Kong cinema" genre explored in the MCU. And Shang ended up with duplication powers right? That'd be cool to see, if they went that way with the movie. But is it better to be a stereotype or to "steal" an aspect of another culture? I feel like there's no winning with this. >shrug<
    I just want some good and dynamic fight choreography, since from what I've read that was definitely an area where Iron Fist was lacking.

Speaking as an Asian-American, I think back in the pre-00s days when every single Asian actor appearing in Hollywood movies was a martial artist that might have been a bad thing, but with that genre basically dying out and with other way worse stereotypes out there for Asians in movies we’re glad to take what we can get. Martial arts is a cool thing that is basically universal across the world now anyway so celebrating our contribution to it ain’t a bad thing by my book.