Page 196 of 775 FirstFirst ... 96146186192193194195196197198199200206246296696 ... LastLast
Results 2,926 to 2,940 of 11617
    Extraordinary Member

2 great things from Loki episode 5....

1. Thanos copter
    2. Throg

Quote Originally Posted by blunt_eastwood View Post
    How come? I think it's doing pretty much as well as I would think.
    Mostly because I remember how Loki was a B-lister and people having doubts about Hiddleston when he first announced as the villain in Thor (2011) and Avengers (2012). I like the character but the grip he has on his audience, the sheer magnitude of his popularity and how large that fandom is never ceases to astound me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I don't think there is someone as trustworthy, so I understand why he's reluctant. However, sometimes one has to work with those kind of people to achieve greater results. Otherwise the end result seems to be running off and no longer being a hero anymore.
    Who said Steve wasn't a hero after Civil War? And again, you're looking at a generalized notion, at what "could" be. Look at what we were actually shown and told on screen; there's no reason to think the UN would do right by the Avengers.

And when was the UN shown to be evil? The same one people complain about being ineffective and weak?
    If I recall, the World Security Council, which ran SHIELD, was a UN group and they tried to nuke NYC. The person put in charge of the Accorded Avengers was Ross. The VPOTUS worked with AIM to assassinate the POTUS, and the US is part of the UN.

Every example I listed earlier can be tied back to groups or nations that are a big part of the UN. At least as far as I can remember, I don't claim to have a perfect memory here. But just the fact that the UN put Ross in charge of the Avengers shows us that they couldn't be trusted with the team.

Does any of that reconstruction result in any meaningful, permanent change, though? Do any of the heroes actually rethink their actions?
    Yes.

We see Steve go from a loyal soldier who tells Stark to follow orders, to a freedom fighter vigilante who tells the Secretary of State to screw off.

We see Tony go from a hot mess of a self-involved narcissist to a guy who willingly turns his authority and power over to others.

Widow tells the government to sod off in Winter Soldier, only to side with the UN in Civil War (changing her mind after seeing the fallout of SHIELD's collapse). And then change her mind again when she saw what working for the UN was actually like.

Rhodes is all for the Accords when they're introduced, and changes his mind later.

Banner, obviously, goes through a lot of reflection that leads to him changing his outlook and views. Loki goes through quite the character arc before dying, becoming more good after reflecting on his past actions. So yeah, I'd say all this results in permanent change.

I'd like to see a superhero actually fight for people's civil rights, against both governments and vigilantes. That would something new and modern
    I'd be down for that. It's not a new idea (check out Golden Age Superman, there were no other vigilantes at the time but dude stomped on *all* the bullies) but it's always a good one, and rarely seen in the binary morality of superheroes.

And as for Ross, he's definitely a hypocrite and Steve is right not to trust him. However I think if Steve and Tony worked together, they probably could've ousted him from t at position.
    Maybe, maybe not. My point isn't whether Steve "could" have changed things from the inside, it's that Steve had been trying to do exactly that and had come to the conclusion that it was a huge waste of time that detracted from the real work of a hero. Look at how many times the institutions he put his faith in turned out to be either deeply, horribly flawed, or actively tried to kill him. You want character growth and reflection? Steve breaking away from the institutions that had betrayed him or proven to be ineffective *is* character growth and reflection. You just don't seem to like the conclusions he came to, but that doesn't discount the fact that Steve's character did change and evolve over time, and that arc was fueled by past events.

Bottom line is Steve didn't think he could trust the UN to do right by the Avengers. And it turned out he was right.
    Last edited by Ascended; 07-07-2021 at 06:18 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Who said Steve wasn't a hero after Civil War? And again, you're looking at a generalized notion, at what "could" be. Look at what we were actually shown and told on screen; there's no reason to think the UN would do right by the Avengers.
    I meant he wasn't an official hero working with the Avengers, but a fugitive on the run

If I recall, the World Security Council, which ran SHIELD, was a UN group and they tried to nuke NYC. The person put in charge of the Accorded Avengers was Ross. The VPOTUS worked with AIM to assassinate the POTUS, and the US is part of the UN.

Every example I listed earlier can be tied back to groups or nations that are a big part of the UN. At least as far as I can remember, I don't claim to have a perfect memory here. But just the fact that the UN put Ross in charge of the Avengers shows us that they couldn't be trusted with the team.
    Except it wasn't just the secret UN body, but almost thr nations of the world. As Rhodey pointed out, ignoring that was dangerously arrogant.

Yes.

We see Steve go from a loyal soldier who tells Stark to follow orders, to a freedom fighter vigilante who tells the Secretary of State to screw off.

We see Tony go from a hot mess of a self-involved narcissist to a guy who willingly turns his authority and power over to others.

Widow tells the government to sod off in Winter Soldier, only to side with the UN in Civil War (changing her mind after seeing the fallout of SHIELD's collapse). And then change her mind again when she saw what working for the UN was actually like.

Rhodes is all for the Accords when they're introduced, and changes his mind later.

Banner, obviously, goes through a lot of reflection that leads to him changing his outlook and views. Loki goes through quite the character arc before dying, becoming more good after reflecting on his past actions. So yeah, I'd say all this results in permanent change.

My point was actually more about the comics. But I don't think Steve learned anything in CW. He didn't look at the big picture. He stubbornly acted like he and his pals were oppressed because they couldn't do whatever they wanted. For all his numerous faults, Tony admitted he was willing to change his actions to cooperate with others who weren't 100% in tune with what a small group of enhanced individuals were planning

I'd be down for that. It's not a new idea (check out Golden Age Superman, there were no other vigilantes at the time but dude stomped on *all* the bullies) but it's always a good one, and rarely seen in the binary morality of superheroes.
    Yeah, that is similar to Golden Age Superman. I think doing something like that again would be better than rehashing street crime

Maybe, maybe not. My point isn't whether Steve "could" have changed things from the inside, it's that Steve had been trying to do exactly that and had come to the conclusion that it was a huge waste of time that detracted from the real work of a hero. Look at how many times the institutions he put his faith in turned out to be either deeply, horribly flawed, or actively tried to kill him. You want character growth and reflection? Steve breaking away from the institutions that had betrayed him or proven to be ineffective *is* character growth and reflection. You just don't seem to like the conclusions he came to, but that doesn't discount the fact that Steve's character did change and evolve over time, and that arc was fueled by past events.

Bottom line is Steve didn't think he could trust the UN to do right by the Avengers. And it turned out he was right.
    Really? Because IMO Steve proved he couldn't be totally trusted by the UN or anyone else in power. And while rejecting corrupt authority is welcome character growth, that happened in CA:WS, not CA:CW. In that one didn't learn his lesson. No one really did aside from BP

Mighty Member

https://thedirect.com/article/marvel...comic-con-2021

Think that both Marvel/DC are being a little stubborn by not attending the San Diego ComicCon at home? I feel bad for those attending this virtual event as MCU/DC movie/show news was a big reason for some to attend. I mean virtual is better than nothing. They should take advantage of the format.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post

Think that both Marvel/DC are being a little stubborn by not attending the San Diego ComicCon at home? I feel bad for those attending this virtual event as MCU/DC movie/show news was a big reason for some to attend. I mean virtual is better than nothing. They should take advantage of the format.
    Why exactly are they skipping it?

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post

DC has FanDome and Marvel has...the Disney investor conference?

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Peggy calls herself
    spoilers:
    Captain Carter
    end of spoilers
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Is it really a spoiler if this in the trailer and on the poster lol

Ultimate Member

I'm really curious to see what the Dr. Strange stuff is. And the space T'Challa stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post

Spider-Strange, and what is that Ultron thing?

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Not so much the costume as the name.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Ultron seems to be if Ultron got inside Visions body. He's got visions face in the red area there.

She-Hulk will reportedly feature Jennifer Walters breaking the fourth wall frequently.

What If...? Voice Cast:

The voice cast includes Hayley Atwell as Captain Peggy Carter, Josh Brolin as Thanos, Dominic Cooper as Howard Stark, David Dastmalchian as Kurt, Michael Douglas as Hank Pym, Karen Gillan as Nebula, Jeff Goldblum as Grandmaster, Frank Grillo as Brock Rumlow, Sean Gunn as Kraglin, Chris Hemsworth as Thor, Tom Hiddleston as Loki, Djimon Hounsou as Korath the Pursuer, Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury, Toby Jones as Arnim Zola, Michael B. Jordan as Killmonger, Neal McDonough as Dum Dum Dugan, Natalie Portman as Jane Foster, Jeremy Renner as Clint Barton, Michael Rooker as Yondu Udonta, Paul Rudd as Scott Lang, Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner, Sebastian Stan as James “Bucky” Barnes, Chris Sullivan as Taserface, Stanley Tucci as Abraham Erskine, and Taika Waititi as Korg.

Tony Stark, Steve Rogers, The Collector, Doctor Strange, Captain Marvel and Howard the Duck are also in the series, but with different voice actors than their MCU film counterparts.

Ultimate Member

Ultron seems to be if Ultron got inside Visions body. He's got visions face in the red area there.
    Oh, I see. That would be crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    She-Hulk will reportedly feature Jennifer Walters breaking the fourth wall frequently.
    It's to be expected. Idk if it'll be different than how Deadpool does it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I wonder if the Collector will still be as weird