Page 201 of 776 FirstFirst ... 101151191197198199200201202203204205211251301701 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,015 of 11627

To me, Stark revealing he was Iron Man was a total mic drop moment. That film would have been received VERY differently if the movie made Tony keep his secret identity. In fact, that was one of the things that makes me love that movie. As has been stated elsewhere: "Using secret identities wouldn’t have worked if the heroes were unknown to each other or to the larger world. The masks had to come off early and often if only to establish complete trust between the heroes." I personally think it was a great creative decision by Feige.
    Last edited by Albert1981; 07-12-2021 at 07:15 PM.

I’ve always thought secret identities were creepy and I’m glad they’re mostly gone. The idea of a character being one person and then putting a mask on and being another person is cringe. Especially, when they’re around friends & family it just feels wrong. Not having a dual identity wouldn’t prevent them from having a life. They just have to live like celebrities. That’s the life they chose so they should have to be on guard at all times.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    To me, Stark revealing he was Iron Man was a total mic drop moment. That film would have been received VERY differently if the movie kept Tony kept his secret identity. In fact, that was one of the things that makes me love that movie. As has been stated elsewhere: "Using secret identities wouldn’t have worked if the heroes were unknown to each other or to the larger world. The masks had to come off early and often if only to establish complete trust between the heroes." I personally think it was a great creative decision by Feige.
    I agree. At the time it really set the movie's ending apart from other superhero movies

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    His dialogue can be really hit or miss. Sometimes it's great, like with Klaw. Other times, not so much
    Very true. I liked his Ultron stuff, but the Justice League was a mess. The brunch joke didn't work as well there. I like how that even though Whedon is gone, the MCU has definitely maintained its quippiness. Kind of reminds me of the pre- 2006 James Bond films. Sure, a lot of those movies were EXTREMELY campy, but they consistently made me laugh. I hope the new James Bond series goes back to its humorous roots. The MCU should NEVER go grimdark.
    Last edited by Albert1981; 07-12-2021 at 07:16 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    I’ve always thought secret identities were creepy and I’m glad they’re mostly gone. The idea of a character being one person and then putting a mask on and being another person is cringe. Especially, when they’re around friends & family it just feels wrong. Not having a dual identity wouldn’t prevent them from having a life. They just have to live like celebrities. That’s the life they chose so they should have to be on guard at all times.
    I don't think every hero would even be that much in danger. I doubt a lot of people are seeking to kill Scott Lang. But I generally agree

Ultimate Member

Very true. I liked his Ultron stuff, but the Justice League was a mess. The brunch joke didn't work as well there. I like how that even though Whedon is gone, the MCU has definitely maintained its quippiness. Kind of reminded me of the pre- 2006 James Bond films. Sure a lot of those movies were EXTREMELY campy, but they consistently made me laugh. I hope the new James Bond series goes back to its humorous roots.
    I actually prefer the less humorous Bond movies. But I think the humorous atmosphere better fits the MCU

I agree. At the time it really set the movie's ending apart from other superhero movies
    Yep. I thought it was sort of revolutionary but totally logical. I do think that Mission Impossible started the whole mask ripping thing though...LOL!

I miss Whedon's dialogue:

"But I always say, "Keep your friends rich and your enemies rich, and wait to find out which is which." LOL!
    I don't, at all. I've just never been a fan of Whedon. Even less so now that some things have come out about him.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

I actually prefer the less humorous Bond movies. But I think the humorous atmosphere better fits the MCU
    The humorous atmosphere does work within the MCU because superheroes are kind of ridiculous. And the superheroes kind of know that. I prefer most things to be funny. I liked the old Bond stuff because of how it didn't take itself seriously either. And because older spy flicks actually had some "espionage" going on in them.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    I don't, at all. I've just never been a fan of Whedon. Even less so now that some things have come out about him.
    Yeah, some of the stuff revealed about Whedon doesn't sound so hot. I haven't watched any of Whedon's work outside of the Avengers stuff, so I don't really know him that well. Marvel Studios has made their productions so quippy starting from Iron Man, but they truly turned it up a notch after Avengers 2. I think Whedonism in the MCU has lived on long after his departure. I read somewhere that the "joke count" in these Marvel movies has just EXPLODED in the past few years. Which I really like. I don't wanna watch grimdark DCEU and James Bond movies.

I'm fine with humor but I think sometimes they take the quips a little too far and negate the seriousness of the situation.
    That's just probably how Marvel chose to do it. Public identity doesn't inherently mean lack of balance. And secret id often ends up meaning constant struggle for balance, which after a while doesn't interest me personally
    To me a public identity means eschewing a balance and dedicating to one side more than another. But I also find that struggle for balance engaging and commendable moreso than just giving it up.
    Ok. From the in universe perspective, it can also come off as unsettling or questionable
    I personally don't see it that way, but to each their own.

I don't see it as making them less unsettling or questionable than public identity heroes who, more or less, do the same stuff.
    Wasn't that all done just to justify Captain America's side being right?
    It happens often enough that I don't think it had anything to do with Civil War.

Like, Spider-Man being wanted by police has been a thing since the Silver Age.
    To me, Stark revealing he was Iron Man was a total mic drop moment. That film would have been received VERY differently if the movie made Tony keep his secret identity. In fact, that was one of the things that makes me love that movie. As has been stated elsewhere: "Using secret identities wouldn’t have worked if the heroes were unknown to each other or to the larger world. The masks had to come off early and often if only to establish complete trust between the heroes." I personally think it was a great creative decision by Feige.
    That never really stopped the Justice League.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    In a world where people often wear masks in private or public it seems pretty believable to me. And I think the only Superheroes who need to be celebrities are the FF, Zatanna, and Booster Gold.

I mean, does everyone Peter Parker knows needs to know he's Spider-Man? I can understand family and lover but I feel like there are degrees there.

Im not defending his character, but Whedon’s talent for quippy dialogue can’t be denied. I still think that the original Avengers film has the tightest, most clever script of all the MCU. My issue with the humor stems from the other screen writers attempting to replicate his style with mixed results. That’s why I enjoyed Wandavision so much, it was a breath of fresh air to see an MCU project attempt its own unique brand of comedy.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm fine with humor but I think sometimes they take the quips a little too far and negate the seriousness of the situation.
    That does happen sometimes. I think it's a problem if it undercuts drama too much

To me a public identity means eschewing a balance and dedicating to one side more than another. But I also find that struggle for balance engaging and commendable moreso than just giving it up.
    I can't totally agree. I don't think being a public hero means giving up a private life. It just creates a new set of issues. But it also allows the hero to engage with the public differently than pretending to be someone else. And I find the struggle of the secret id to be largely uninteresting. The drama gets a bit tiring

I personally don't see it that way, but to each their own.

I don't see it as making them less unsettling or questionable than public identity heroes who, more or less, do the same stuff.
    I just think some people would be cautious about a masked superhuman fighting crime in their city

It happens often enough that I don't think it had anything to do with Civil War.

Like, Spider-Man being wanted by police has been a thing since the Silver Age.
    Yeah, but the pro-registration side was turned into fascists to justify vigilantism, conveniently forgetting vigilantism can be fascistic too

That never really stopped the Justice League.
    It's possible they'd be closer without the secret id though

In a world where people often wear masks in private or public it seems pretty believable to me. And I think the only Superheroes who need to be celebrities are the FF, Zatanna, and Booster Gold.

I mean, does everyone Peter Parker knows needs to know he's Spider-Man? I can understand family and lover but I feel like there are degrees there.
    Some people may want to know who's fighting crime in their city because they may not otherwise know the superheroes' agenda

Ultimate Member

The humorous atmosphere does work within the MCU because superheroes are kind of ridiculous. And the superheroes kind of know that. I prefer most things to be funny. I liked the old Bond stuff because of how it didn't take itself seriously either. And because older spy flicks actually had some "espionage" going on in them.
    That's fair. I know many prefer the humorous Bond

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

I miss Whedon's dialogue:

"But I always say, "Keep your friends rich and your enemies rich, and wait to find out which is which." LOL!
    This was a great line, I miss the witty charm