Page 203 of 775 FirstFirst ... 103153193199200201202203204205206207213253303703 ... LastLast
Results 3,031 to 3,045 of 11621

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    [What they did to banner in IW/EG was a travesty

Yeah, I think Whedon handled Hulk very well. Hulk was an event, not a joke.
    Whedon actually treated the Hulk as how scary he can actually be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    IMO it does. They always have to pretend to be someone else
    Can't that also be a genuine part of themselves? It's not like the person they're pretending to be is that disingenuous to who they are.
    Isn't that mostly due to Jameson? And Peter hiding himself exacerbates that.
    It is mostly due to Jameson, which is why I said smear campaign, but usually Peter being able to do something about it is out of his hands.
    Yeah, but that's not how Marvel acted, because it couldn't bring itself to actually change how things are done.
    Well, Civil War did bring about changes, they just kind of imploded.
    Idk. It would be a bit weird to be friends with someone you don't really know. I liked how the MCU actually allowed these characters to be open about who they were. I don't think there interactions would be as interesting otherwise.
    For work colleagues I think it makes sense. But I've never felt like it was a must for their interactions to be genuine, because you do know them, just their current projection of themselves.
    But I find the reasoning to be circular logic used to justify the whole thing in the first place.
    But can't the logic be seen as valid?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    It did lead to the funny joke in thor 3.

I just want betty back. She was married to bruce for years and had a long history in the hulk comic and has had two hero names and powers and is joining the defenders. Why was she dumped so fast? Recast her like war machine if you have to. They recast banner but dumped betty? She is bruces lois lane.
    They really just do not want Ruffalo on-screen with anyone from The Incredible Hulk.

I guess time will tell if he and Abomination share screentime in She-Hulk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    Kevin Feige says Agatha Harkness will return in a future MCU project.
    Multiverse of Madness?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    [

What they did to banner in IW/EG was a travesty

Yeah, I think Whedon handled Hulk very well. Hulk was an event, not a joke.
    Agreed.
    Yeah when Hulk hulked out you knew you were in the sh*t.

Extraordinary Member

But the problem is assuming because a secret identity doesn't exist, it ends up like the X-Men. That's the particular writers' fault, not the idea itself. There's no reason a hero can't have a normal life and be open about who they are.

And personally the secret id trope and all its related shenanigans are the least entertaining aspect of it to me
    But the secret identity thing brings so much to the table(what it is I stated in my earlier post).Also we have superhero's who don't have secret identities.

Bruh how they gonna have a normal life, Back in Black is how it would play out.Either that or their entire neighborhood gets bombed.
    There is no way there is not massive fallout when this stuff is revealed.

Those shenanigans is what made people fall in love with Spidey.And something sorely lacking in Miles,etc. even though he has one because most people know who he is.
    That inner conflict of doing both things and yet not good enough.Like an issue of USM with Gwen crying in a dumpster because her mom is leaving while Rhino attacks.Peter is torn apart and tries to do both but can do neither.

"I feel this is something missing with newer heroes, Miles's family and friends both in school and the champions know who he is.
    In contrast, I loved seeing Peter save the day then still getting bashed by his friends for disappearing and in media as a menace and how he dealt with it.

There was this scene in spectacular where Peter after saving Doc's Connor came home and had a serum to cure his powers.His inner monolgue about how Spidey may not be a magic wand but thanks to the webhead Connors gets to be with his son and why he doesn't care if no one threw a parade was so powerful.I got goosebumps."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

Can't that also be a genuine part of themselves? It's not like the person they're pretending to be is that disingenuous to who they are.

It is mostly due to Jameson, which is why I said smear campaign, but usually Peter being able to do something about it is out of his hands.

For work colleagues I think it makes sense. But I've never felt like it was a must for their interactions to be genuine, because you do know them, just their current projection of themselves.

They really just do not want Ruffalo on-screen with anyone from The Incredible Hulk.

Multiverse of Madness?
    It was actually impressive how well he handled him considering it was a team-up movie and he didn't have much screen time.

This.How the 2 identities blend in is very interesting to watch.

The thing about secret identities and most 'disguises' is the need for a suspension of belief/disbelief.
    this is far easier to overlook, ignore, etc in comics media but not so easy in movies or live action media.

Who could not tell that

Chris Reeves Superman was Clark

Lynda Carter Wonder Woman was Lt. Diana Prince

It is more true/easy to see than not in more current movies. Which is why the secret may not work.
    If the hero mask is total over face it could be argued. (Peter/Spiderman)
    But Rogers looks like Cap. Sam looks like Wilson.

Panther, DD (pretty good to me) fare better as the mask/piece covers much more of the head.

So it goes. It is probably Hollywood more than anything. Maybe even contracts with actors.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    The thing about secret identities and most 'disguises' is the need for a suspension of belief/disbelief.
    this is far easier to overlook, ignore, etc in comics media but not so easy in movies or live action media.

Who could not tell that

Chris Reeves Superman was Clark

Lynda Carter Wonder Woman was Lt. Diana Prince

It is more true/easy to see than not in more current movies. Which is why the secret may not work.
    If the hero mask is total over face it could be argued. (Peter/Spiderman)
    But Rogers looks like Cap. Sam looks like Wilson.

Panther, DD (pretty good to me) fare better as the mask/piece covers much more of the head.

So it goes. It is probably Hollywood more than anything. Maybe even contracts with actors.
    Well, with Reeve you could see how he was able to portray one man presenting himself differently so authentically that it was more believable. At least in my opinion.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Talking

WandaVision Show and Cast get EMMY Nominations!

"By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

23 total nominations for Wandavision, only one less than The Mandalorian and The Crown with 24.

Among the nominations are Limited Series, Actress, Actor, Supporting Actress, Director, and 3 different writing nominations.

Ultimate Member

I do think scary Hulk could make a comeback at some point.

Maybe. It's not necessarily disingenuous, but it is a barrier between them and the people they're protecting. Seeing people of power or influence be open about who they are can also be good too.

Because he's not open about who he is, so he can't counter the allegations. Heroes showing who they are means they can be direct about what their mission is. From the view of Marvel citizens, that can be reassuring.

Because Marvel didn't seem to want to change the status quo.

It's not absolutely necessary, but seeing how the MCU did it and how some comics are doing it now, I feel like it's better than before.

it could if you want to keep the secret id around. Which is fine if you like it. But personally I find it to be more just a form of justification for not changing things.

Frankly they should have screen time together

Multiverse of Madness?
    Maybe.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    But the secret identity thing brings so much to the table(what it is I stated in my earlier post).Also we have superhero's who don't have secret identities.

Bruh how they gonna have a normal life, Back in Black is how it would play out.Either that or their entire neighborhood gets bombed.
    There is no way there is not massive fallout when this stuff is revealed.

Those shenanigans is what made people fall in love with Spidey.And something sorely lacking in Miles,etc. even though he has one because most people know who he is.
    That inner conflict of doing both things and yet not good enough.Like an issue of USM with Gwen crying in a dumpster because her mom is leaving while Rhino attacks.Peter is torn apart and tries to do both but can do neither.

"I feel this is something missing with newer heroes, Miles's family and friends both in school and the champions know who he is.
    In contrast, I loved seeing Peter save the day then still getting bashed by his friends for disappearing and in media as a menace and how he dealt with it.

There was this scene in spectacular where Peter after saving Doc's Connor came home and had a serum to cure his powers.His inner monolgue about how Spidey may not be a magic wand but thanks to the webhead Connors gets to be with his son and why he doesn't care if no one threw a parade was so powerful.I got goosebumps."
    I don't find all that appealing. The constant "don't find out" drama has been squeezed out as much. And the idea that immediately after a hero reveals themselves to the world, they'll get attacked is always suspect to me. Maybe the reason people don't trust them is because they have a mask. And not every villain wants to immediately go after the hero. Some would more likely try to stay away as far as possible. Besides, the villains usually find out anyway.

They can have a normal life. Nothing about the secret identity protects that.

Astonishing Member

I don't find all that appealing. The constant "don't find out" drama has been squeezed out as much. And the idea that immediately after a hero reveals themselves to the world, they'll get attacked is always suspect to me. Maybe the reason people don't trust them is because they have a mask. And not every villain wants to immediately go after the hero. Some would more likely try to stay away as far as possible. Besides, the villains usually find out anyway.

I agree. There is also the fact that politicians, celebrities, law enforcement officials are publicly known without the need for secrecy. Obviously, some have security for protection. But super heroes by their nature are able to protect themselves. The idea that a hero cannot live a public life without being attacked with their friends and family targeted is a cynical, ultimately unrealistic view.

Extraordinary Member

I mean in Iron Man 3, the fake Ten Rings blew up Tony’s California home

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    I mean in Iron Man 3, the fake Ten Rings blew up Tony’s California home
    True, but only after giving out the Map Quest directions to his house and triple dog daring the Mandarin.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    I agree. There is also the fact that politicians, celebrities, law enforcement officials are publicly known without the need for secrecy. Obviously, some have security for protection. But super heroes by their nature are able to protect themselves. The idea that a hero cannot live a public life without being attacked with their friends and family targeted is a cynical, ultimately unrealistic view.
    Exactly. In many ways, being next to a superhero or superheroes is the safest place (though not always). Most villains probably wouldn't pursue heroes' loved ones because they don't want the heroes to take it personally.

IMO, if you want to be a hero, you have to be willing to risk something.

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    True, but only after giving out the Map Quest directions to his house and triple dog daring the Mandarin.
    Yeah, plus Pepper lived because Tony was able to save her. And the secret id never stopped Green Goblin or Venom attacking MJ in the movies. They always find out eventually. So the only ones out of the loop are the people they're supposedly protecting.