Page 213 of 776 FirstFirst ... 113163203209210211212213214215216217223263313713 ... LastLast
Results 3,181 to 3,195 of 11640
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    As an FF fan, I want to see them done justice .

I mean, I'd say Ben and Johnny are especially dynamic, if nothing else...
    That's fine. I find their dynamic childish

Doom bows to no one.
    He's not invincible.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    That's fine. I find their dynamic childish
    They mess with each other like brothers do, although I was more referring to how they play off other characters, like Peter and Johnny or Ben with a bunch of other Marvel heroes (he once had a team-up book).
    He's not invincible.
    He's not invincible. Just super-intelligent and creative .

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Nearly every line Clint has in Civil War is a "funny" quip

(this one is obviously dark humor)

None of these lines made me laugh of course, but they are just as much of a joke as the one in Age of Ultron. The funniest moment I can recall with Hawkeye is that moment where he aims his bow at Quicksilver as he runs away during the Sokovia climax and Clint says "nobody would know".
    You're right. A lot of the humor from Civil War didn't land with me either. Maybe I just prefer the rapid fire Whedon stuff more? I agree Clint's "nobody would know" line was pretty funny too. Thanks for reminding me of it. I guess I'm just not a huge fan of dark humor as much as the light-hearted quippy material. I actually think the MCU Disney Plus stuff is weirdly more serious than the MCU movies! The Loki show's style of humor appealed to me the most though.
    Last edited by Albert1981; 07-18-2021 at 08:07 PM.

Part of the problem though is making things too mundane.
    Yeah. I don't wanna see the MCU get stale either. But as I've mentioned MANY times before, it's hard to write stories about time travel, alternate realities and magic in a consistent manner. That's why I liked the MCU's earlier emphasis on tech and the cosmic stuff. I liked Midnight in Paris, the Princess Bride, Quantum Leap, and Back to the Future. But when it comes to superhero comics, I find their time travel/parallel universe/fantasy stories to be really confusing and convoluted.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    You're right. A lot of the humor from Civil War didn't land with me either. Maybe I just prefer the rapid fire Whedon stuff more? I agree Clint's "nobody would know" line was pretty funny too. Thanks for reminding me of it. I guess I'm just not a huge fan of dark humor as much as the light-hearted quippy stuff. I actually think the MCU Disney Plus stuff is weirdly more serious than the MCU movies! The Loki show's style of humor appealed to me the most though.

Marvel is pretty unique in that it can have serious subject matter but then still have fun with it. I agree that the Disney + shows come across as more serious. But in their case they don't have that much humor offsetting the main topic.

Ultimate Member

They mess with each other like brothers do, although I was more referring to how they play off other characters, like Peter and Johnny or Ben with a bunch of other Marvel heroes (he once had a team-up book).
    Ok. Personally, I've always thought Johnny was unlikeable because of how he treats Ben and people in general. Ben is just a bit boring. And I don't really understand the point of phoneticized speech patterns.

He's not invincible. Just super-intelligent and creative .
    All right. I just don't want some over the top, Doom is the greatest business

Ultimate Member

Yeah. I don't wanna see the MCU get stale either. But as I've mentioned MANY times before, it's hard to write stories about time travel, alternate realities and magic in a consistent manner. That's why I liked the MCU's earlier emphasis on tech and the cosmic stuff. I liked Midnight in Paris, the Princess Bride, Quantum Leap, and Back to the Future. But when it comes to superhero comics, I find their time travel/parallel universe/fantasy stories to be really confusing and convoluted.
    It's not really convoluted as long as there's proper focus

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I definitely see the Thunderbolts/Dark Avengers getting into the spotlight as the world's premier team before a fall from grace.

I feel like we're headed for incursions, but I'm less sure about the role Doom might play in it. I wonder if there might not be a classic Kang tale that could be woven into/around Secret War that might capitalize on Kang and the multiverse in a cleaner, more direct way than a sudden shift to Doom.
    I think Doom's role will probably be closer to what happened in the original Secret Wars.

Doom does what he always does; he attacks the heroes in a bid for revenge and ultimate power then he will offer them help against a bigger threat, take advantage of said threat to take ultimate power for himself, decides he doesn't like ultimate power and divests himself from it in the most pompous Doom like way he could think of by claiming that power is beneath him.

I think Doom can be included without taking away from Kang as a threat.

Ultimate Member

It's hard for me to buy the "power is beneath me" thing

Ok. Personally, I've always thought Johnny was unlikeable because of how he treats Ben and people in general. Ben is just a bit boring. And I don't really understand the point of phoneticized speech patterns.
    He's mischeivous, but it's part of his charm .

I don't think there's anything boring about Ben Grimm. He's probably one of the most well-developed Marvel characters with personality in my book.
    All right. I just don't want some over the top, Doom is the greatest business
    Well, I do think he is one of the biggest Marvel villains, so if he appears I expect him to be given his due.

You're right. A lot of the humor from Civil War didn't land with me either. Maybe I just prefer the rapid fire Whedon stuff more? I agree Clint's "nobody would know" line was pretty funny too. Thanks for reminding me of it. I guess I'm just not a huge fan of dark humor as much as the light-hearted quippy material. I actually think the MCU Disney Plus stuff is weirdly more serious than the MCU movies! The Loki show's style of humor appealed to me the most though.
    Writing jokes is hard.

Writing jokes for 6 hours of a show is very hard.

Much easier to land a handful in a 2 hour quick paced movie.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

He's mischeivous, but it's part of his charm .

I don't think there's anything boring about Ben Grimm. He's probably one of the most well-developed Marvel characters with personality in my book.
    I don't find it charming at all. Just annoying. As for Ben, his personality seems to be mostly grumpy. He's not the worst character by far, but nothing about him interests me. I've tried to get into him, but he just seems like another "I don't look normal so I'm oppressed" kind of character. With other heroes, I get they have some kind of dynamic goal pushing them to be heroes, even some I don't like. Outside of Reed, I don't get any sense of that from these characters.

The F4 do nothing for diversity either. And supposedly that's going to be more prominent in the MCU going forward. I feel like F4 represents a lot of the problems of the White nuclear family.

Well, I do think he is one of the biggest Marvel villains, so if he appears I expect him to be given his due.
    Ok, but I don't want this to become some kind of early 2000s movie where the villain gets all the attention.

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Marvel is pretty unique in that it can have serious subject matter but then still have fun with it. I agree that the Disney + shows come across as more serious. But in their case they don't have that much humor offsetting the main topic.
    I would have to say what you're saying is very true.

It's not really convoluted as long as there's proper focus

I agree focus is key. Because if there isn't some sort of tightness to the writing, things could EASILY get out of hand. If it weren't for Feige and the executives at Marvel Studios, I'd say there would be a decent chance the whole multiverse/time travel thing could do the MCU in.