Page 220 of 775 FirstFirst ... 120170210216217218219220221222223224230270320720 ... LastLast
Results 3,286 to 3,300 of 11619

I thought they were kind of dumb to kill Widow off in Endgame, but it is what it is. I'm just happy she finally got a solo movie.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    I am on your side. Should it have been made sooner? Yea I guess. But it was a good movie so thats all that matters to me.
    It's possible other actors could've filled those same roles. It just seems like her solo effort was treated like an afterthought

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I thought they were kind of dumb to kill Widow off in Endgame, but it is what it is. I'm just happy she finally got a solo movie.
    I agree on not killing her off in Endgame. I thought she still could've continued into Phase 4.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    LOL. You must literally be one of ten people on this planet. Yeah, like I said, when people die on screen, SOME folks tend to think that's the end. At least that's how I view it. I haven't watched Black Widow, but I was shocked at how disappointing the box office/streaming results were. I have to be honest, after watching the first three MCU Disney Plus shows, I felt something I never felt before when I watched the movies: Fatigue.

Not me but different strokes for different folks. I mean I am not a fan of 80 percent of the Netflix marvel stuff. Soooooo tedious. But other people love it. Some people hate Agents of Shield. I freaking loved it. I liked the Runaways. Marvel to me is like anything else. I don't love everything, I don't hate everything. Nothing is going to appeal to everyone. Heck you can see the debates about Ragnarok on these pages to know that.

Ultimate Member

The D+ shows have gotten me more excited, especially WandaVision and Loki.

LOL. You must literally be one of ten people on this planet. Yeah, like I said, when people die on screen, SOME folks tend to think that's the end. At least that's how I view it. I haven't watched Black Widow, but I was shocked at how disappointing the box office/streaming results were. I have to be honest, after watching the first three MCU Disney Plus shows, I felt something I never felt before when I watched the movies: Fatigue.
    How exactly are they disappointing? After not even full two weeks it made 135 million in theaters plus 60 million via Disney+ only domestic. International it has another 130 million from theaters and at least 30 million via Disney+ (likely more but we only have the numbers for the first weekend) and that without being released in the biggest international market China yet. Not to mention that there is still a pandemic going on in many parts of the world (India and some South-East Asian countries where the MCU is very popular are in complete lockdown, also big parts of Australia). Did you expect it to make Endgame numbers?
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    How exactly are they disappointing? After not even full two weeks it made 135 million in theaters plus 60 million via Disney+ only domestic. International it has another 130 million from theaters and at least 30 million via Disney+ (likely more but we only have the numbers for the first weekend) and that without being released in the biggest international market China yet. Not to mention that there is still a pandemic going on in many parts of the world (India and some South-East Asian countries where the MCU is very popular are in complete lockdown, also big parts of Australia). Did you expect it to make Endgame numbers?

People making comments about the box office of BW have no concepts or don't care what is going on with the Box office for every movie being released right now. Anyone who is shocked by BW box office hasn't been paying attention. Oh and Disney said BW made 60 million streaming the first weekend.

The biggest movie of the year in the states right now has made 155 million domestic. BW will pass that. And thats not counting streaming. No movies are doing anything close to what they would normally be doing.
    Last edited by inisideguy; 07-21-2021 at 01:17 PM.

Amazing Member

True. If people call numbers like that disappointing esp. under the circumstances I tend to think there could be a slight bias going on.

BANNED

People making comments about the box office of BW have no concepts or don't care what is going on with the Box office for every movie being released right now. Anyone who is shocked by BW box office hasn't been paying attention. Oh and Disney said BW made 60 million streaming the first weekend.

The biggest movie of the year in the states right now has made 155 million domestic. BW will pass that. And thats not counting streaming. No movies are doing anything close to what they would normally be doing.
    I am sort of surprised but at the same time not surprised by BW drop. the movie does not have a rewatch factor like say Avengers, however while a watchable movie is not the very best and that has always hurt many films in their second week. Also COVID is still a thing, despite the deniers

I feel Disney will use the issue of BW box office to protect Shang Chi. No chance now they will put the film on Disney plus.

Disney declared that 60 million figure for the worldwide opening weekend. According to Samba TV this splits into 33 million from domestic households and 27 million from international accounts. Disney hasn't reported any new numbers for Disney+ but according to Samba TV it made 60 million in its first ten days only in the US so we have a worldwide Disney+ cume of around 90 million. As I said it's likely that the true number is significantly higher because the international cume surely also increased after opening weekend but we don't have any numbers for it.

So it's best to look at the domestic cume for now. As it stands BW should end its domestic theatrical run with at least 170 million. Then we have to add the 60 million from US Disney+ households and we get a domestic cume of 230 million. That beats Ant-Man and the Wasp (216 million) and is very close to Doctor Strange (232 million). Actually it is likely to beat the latter, too, as my projection is pretty much on the conservative end. Needless to say that these movies didn't have to deal with a pandemic, so all things considered I don't see how the BW result is disappointing.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunkelzahn View Post
    True. If people call numbers like that disappointing esp. under the circumstances I tend to think there could be a slight bias going on.
    Not necessarily bias on the user's end. I mean I've seen countless clickbait headlines calling the movie a box office flop so if someone just saw these and didn't really dig into the numbers they could get that impression even when they weren't biased in the first place.

Astonishing Member

Disney declared that 60 million figure for the worldwide opening weekend. According to Samba TV this splits into 33 million from domestic households and 27 million from international accounts. Disney hasn't reported any new numbers for Disney+ but according to Samba TV it made 60 million in its first ten days only in the US so we have a worldwide Disney+ cume of around 90 million. As I said it's likely that the true number is significantly higher because the international cume surely also increased after opening weekend but we don't have any numbers for it.

So it's best to look at the domestic cume for now. As it stands BW should end its domestic theatrical run with at least 170 million. Then we have to add the 60 million from US Disney+ households and we get a domestic cume of 230 million. That beats Ant-Man and the Wasp (216 million) and is very close to Doctor Strange (232 million). Actually it is likely to beat the latter, too, as my projection is pretty much on the conservative end. Needless to say that these movies didn't have to deal with a pandemic, so all things considered I don't see how the BW result is disappointing.

Yea you are correct that 60 million was first 3 days of streaming worldwide. No idea what it is now. I know I streamed it 5 days ago. I am sure there are plenty like me.

No I didn't. I actually don't think any Marvel movie will ever be as successful as Endgame. I never liked the idea of releasing Black Widow at all in 2021. I understand Marvel Studios might have been forced to because of the interconnected nature of their products, but I just don't think folks around the world are eager to return to theaters. The new variants are really scary. So yeah, I understand the circumstances in which the movie found itself (and I'm not even gonna get into how Black Widow being released in the way it was definitely played a role in how well it did financially). I think Black Widow would have even benefitted from further delays because the appetite for MCU stuff just seems almost insatiable. If it had been released in July of 2022, I think Natasha would be basking in glory for WEEKS. I had no confidence F9 would be able to sustain its success for even two weeks. Folks seem to think it's a tired franchise. I was not surprised it dropped the way it did. I just thought Black Widow was a way better movie than its competitors, and was surprised at how the steep the drop was after that second week. I don't think it had anything to do with quality of the film at all. Plus, I don't rely on entertainment/geek/nerd websites when it comes to analyses of these things. I just read stuff from Forbes, Atlantic, and the Washington Post because they have more nuanced takes on entertainment stories. And I never said that Black Widow was a flop. My fatigue came solely from the shows. I felt like watching a TNT marathon of episodes and was just exhausted by the end of it!

I was not thrilled with how Natasha was written at the beginning of her tenure in the MCU (same thing goes for Gamora and Wanda too). But as I've mentioned MANY times on these threads before, she has grown on me in each successive movie since AoU. And now she's one of my favorites. I hold no animus towards her and ScarJo. I was actually angry to hear that Natasha was overshadowed by other characters in the movie apparently. I'm also responsible for not doing my bit to help. I'm gonna stream the movie in October.
    Last edited by Albert1981; 07-21-2021 at 03:50 PM.

Not me but different strokes for different folks. I mean I am not a fan of 80 percent of the Netflix marvel stuff. Soooooo tedious. But other people love it. Some people hate Agents of Shield. I freaking loved it. I liked the Runaways. Marvel to me is like anything else. I don't love everything, I don't hate everything. Nothing is going to appeal to everyone. Heck you can see the debates about Ragnarok on these pages to know that.
    Yeah, it's definitely a matter of taste. I didn't watch the non Marvel Studios stuff, so I can't judge them for myself. I don't love and hate everything either (like everybody else). But let's be honest. The people who love Ragnarok are CLEARLY in the majority when it comes to MCU watchers. I don't think it's even a close call.

Astonishing Member

No I didn't. I actually don't think any Marvel movie will ever be as successful as Endgame. I never liked the idea of releasing Black Widow at all in 2021. I understand Marvel Studios might have been forced to because of the interconnected nature of their products, but I just don't think folks around the world are eager to return to theaters. The new variants are really scary. So yeah, I understand the circumstances in which the movie found itself (and I'm not even gonna get into how Black Widow being released in the way it was definitely played a role in how well it did financially). I think Black Widow would have even benefitted from further delays because the appetite for MCU stuff just seems almost insatiable. If it had been released in July of 2022, I think Natasha would be basking in glory for WEEKS. I had no confidence F9 would be able to sustain its success for even two weeks. Folks seem to think it's a tired franchise. I was not surprised it dropped the way it did. I just thought Black Widow was a way better movie than its competitors, and was surprised at how the steep the drop was after that second week. I don't think it had anything to do with quality of the film at all. Plus, I don't rely on entertainment/geek/nerd websites when it comes to analyses of these things. I just read stuff from Forbes, Atlantic, and the Washington Post because they have more nuanced takes on entertainment stories. And I never said that Black Widow was a flop.

I was not thrilled with how Natasha was written at the beginning of her tenure in the MCU (same thing goes for Gamora and Wanda too). But as I've mentioned MANY times on these threads before, she has grown on me in each successive movie since AoU. And now she's one of my favorites. I hold no animus towards her and ScarJo. I was actually angry to hear that Natasha was overshadowed by other characters in the movie apparently. I'm also responsible for not doing my bit to help. I'm gonna stream the movie in October.

None of these movies box office numbers should really be discussed in this environment. We are not in normal times. Not Fast and Furious, Not BW, not boss baby, Not cruella, Not Kong vs Godzilla. Trying to make comments on the box office other than reporting it is not productive. These numbers literally mean nothing. Covid is everywhere. We all know any of these movies and others would have made far more in normal times. The subject on box office numbers and would be interesting if this was 2019. But its not relevant right now. Its almost august and the top grossing movie of the year, is at 155 million domestic. I mean think about that. Heck 155 or 160 might be the top movie of the year the way we are going. And we can't even really get into what affects streaming is having. We are trying to debate a subject that means nothing in this world right now.

None of these movies box office numbers should really be discussed in this environment. We are not in normal times. Not Fast and Furious, Not BW, not boss baby, Not cruella, Not Kong vs Godzilla. Trying to make comments on the box office other than reporting it is not productive. These numbers literally mean nothing. Covid is everywhere. We all know any of these movies and others would have made far more in normal times. The subject on box office numbers and would be interesting if this was 2019. But its not relevant right now. Its almost august and the top grossing movie of the year, is at 155 million domestic. I mean think about that. Heck 155 or 160 might be the top movie of the year the way we are going. And we can't even really get into what affects streaming is having. We are trying to debate a subject that means nothing in this world right now.
    Yeah, we're still living in strange times. Black Widow did well under the circumstances. I just think the entertainment industry has higher standards for MCU stuff. Unreasonably so. I myself sometimes have too many expectations as well. I do think F9 could have done great if they ditched the resurrections and retcons from what I've heard.