Page 261 of 775 FirstFirst ... 161211251257258259260261262263264265271311361761 ... LastLast
Results 3,901 to 3,915 of 11621

Blade Director Promises the Reboot Will Pay Respect to Wesley Snipes' Trilogy

"What’s exciting about the film that we’re making is [there] hasn’t been a canon for Blade, as we’re reading through the comics and everything," Tariq explained. "Him being a daywalker is the one thing that’s been established, and you know we can’t deny what Wesley Snipes did, which was he basically got this whole ball rolling. A Black man created the superhero world that we’re in, that’s just the truth. For me to now be working with somebody as talented and a juggernaut as Mahershala Ali, and the writer Stacy Osei-Kuffour, I’m just so — I’m so honored to be working with real Black juggernauts and Black talent. For me to just be with them in this room and listen and learn as I build this out, it’s really an honor."
    https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/bl...snipes-movies/

Extraordinary Member

Box Office: Marvel’s ‘Shang-Chi’ Crushes Labor Day Weekend Records With $90 Million

Box Office: Marvel’s ‘Shang-Chi’ Crushes Labor Day Weekend Records With $90 Million
    Marvel’s “Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings” capped off Labor Day weekend at the box office with a bang. The superhero action adventure, starring Canadian actor Simu Liu, had an even bigger debut than expected, collecting $90 million in its first four days of release and setting a new high watermark for the holiday weekend.

Since Labor Day is traditionally a slow weekend at the box office, the film’s three day total of $75.5 million from 4,300 theaters blew past previous the record set by 2007’s “Halloween” and its $30.6 million start. Despite concerns the delta variant would keep audiences at home, “Shang-Chi” notched the second-biggest opening weekend of the pandemic, behind only “Black Widow” with $80 million. Impressively, it ranked ahead of Universal’s “Fast & Furious” sequel “F9” ($70 million) and Paramount’s “A Quiet Place Part II” ($48 million), both of which opened earlier in summer at time when COVID-19 looked like it might eventually abate.

At the international box office, “Shang-Chi” amassed $56.2 million in key markets such as France, Italy, Spain, the United Kingdom and Japan. The film doesn’t have a release date in China, which is an important territory for Marvel movies. Globally, “Shang-Chi” has made $146.2 million so far.

“‘Black Widow’ showed what a Marvel movie can do in pandemic conditions, and that release had the additional burden of a streaming option,” says David A. Gross. “For Marvel, ‘Shang-Chi’ is a creative departure, and at a cost of over $150 million, the results are very good.”

Unlike “Black Widow,” which debuted simultaneously on Disney Plus, “Shang-Chi” is playing only in theaters for its first 45 days of release before it lands on-demand. Disney CEO Bob Chapek called its theatrical-only release an “interesting experiment” and indicated its ticket sales would influence plans for future releases, such as “Eternals,” which is scheduled for Nov. 5.

https://variety.com/2021/film/box-of...rd-1235057013/
    Last edited by mace11; 09-06-2021 at 10:37 AM.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Considering it pulled in 75mil during covid, can't help but wonder how much it would have brought in opening weekend had everything been back to normal.

Shang-Chi saved Hollywood. If it had bombed, a lot of movies would have change their release dates. I think Shang-Chi will be the first movie this year to get to $200 million domestically.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    Considering it pulled in 75mil during covid, can't help but wonder how much it would have brought in opening weekend had everything been back to normal.
    Lowest estimation: Made IM1 or GotG1 money.

Highest estimation: Black Panther money.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

I still can't believe we have an amazing Shang-Chi movie along with an amazing Black Panther movie.

If little kid me, would have known his two fav heroes would have films, he would lose his damned mind

I don’t know what he expected. They are not main characters and aren’t really that interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by vitaminbee View Post
    I don’t know what he expected. They are not main characters and aren’t really that interesting.
    I mean, they're part of Thor's core supporting cast and can be fairly dynamic when you look at the comics. I feel like they deserved more screentime and focus than, say, Selvig or Darcy, but that's just my take.

The MCU just really didn't invest in or do the Thor mythos justice on a film front.

The Warrior Three are one of the most enjoyable parts of Thor comics. One of the shortcomings of the MCU is that they weren't able to do the three justice. The decision to focus so much on the human supporting cast of the first two Thor movies came at the determent of the more enjoyable characters. Imagine if Winter Soldier dropped the ball with Sam, Natasha and Bucky and instead focused on Cap romancing Beth the waitress and Ned the IT guy then killed off Sam and Nat in the third movie just to give the franchise a reboot.

Fantasy based superhero movies have a problem with overly focusing on the 'human' aspect of the character and eschewing the more fascinating 'fantasy' characters. The first two Thor movies and WW84 had this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    The Warrior Three are one of the most enjoyable parts of Thor comics. One of the shortcomings of the MCU is that they weren't able to do the three justice. The decision to focus so much on the human supporting cast of the first two Thor movies came at the determent of the more enjoyable characters. Imagine if Winter Soldier dropped the ball with Sam, Natasha and Bucky and instead focused on Cap romancing Beth the waitress and Ned the IT guy then killed off Sam and Nat in the third movie just to give the franchise a reboot.

Fantasy based superhero movies have a problem with overly focusing on the 'human' aspect of the character and eschewing the more fascinating 'fantasy' characters. The first two Thor movies and WW84 had this issue.
    I think The Dark World definitely would have been better spent focusing on world-building and developing Asgard and the Nine Realms instead of having to focus back on Earth...although I did like Thor and Malekith's final fight.

Their deaths in Ragnarok just felt really disrespectful. Like, they get killed in seconds off with no fanfare, no fight (other than Hogun), and Thor is never shown to care about them dying at all. It's like what was even the point?

You'd think Waititi would keep around the characters who are prime comedy material, especially Volstagg.

I think it's because Ragnarok was leaning hard on being a reboot for Thor. Good thing Jamie Alexander was too busy in her own show to star in Ragnarok. Hope with the Multiverse we get to see a better version of the Three at some point. Or maybe new version in the primary timeline. Volstagg in the comics had a ton of kids, Sif can replace Fandral and a new warrior from Vanaheim can continue Hogun's legacy.

Thor: TDW should have set up Enchantress, Hela and Skurge with Surtur at the primary villain of Ragnarok. Poor Enchantress. She's too much like Loki, power wise and Thor 2 was happening at a time when Ike was vetoing female villains (Shane Black originally wanted Rebecca Hall's character to be the main villain on IM3 but Ike nixed it and that lead to her characters premature death in the movie).

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I think it's because Ragnarok was leaning hard on being a reboot for Thor. Good thing Jamie Alexander was too busy in her own show to star in Ragnarok. Hope with the Multiverse we get to see a better version of the Three at some point. Or maybe new version in the primary timeline. Volstagg in the comics had a ton of kids, Sif can replace Fandral and a new warrior from Vanaheim can continue Hogun's legacy.

Thor: TDW should have set up Enchantress, Hela and Skurge with Surtur at the primary villain of Ragnarok. Poor Enchantress. She's too much like Loki, power wise and Thor 2 was happening at a time when Ike was vetoing female villains (Shane Black originally wanted Rebecca Hall's character to be the main villain on IM3 but Ike nixed it and that lead to her characters premature death in the movie).
    I hope they don't view Sylvie being their take on Enchantress as a concrete thing because...she's just not the Enchantress to me.

Extraordinary Member

Answering Once and For All If ‘Black Widow’ Was a Hit or a Flop
    Was Marvel's 'Black Widow' was a home run or a strike out? We dug through the numbers.
    https://observer.com/2021/09/marvel-...us-box-office/

The $83m for shang chi 4 day weekend was wrong! It made $90m! WW $146.2m!

https://variety.com/2021/film/box-of...rd-1235057013/