Page 281 of 760 FirstFirst ... 181231271277278279280281282283284285291331381 ... LastLast
Results 4,201 to 4,215 of 11387
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    As of now? No. At the end of its run? Possible, but it won't be much.
    Considering the relative success of the movie, I hope lack of profit doesn't alter any future appearances of Shang-Chi in the MCU

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Considering the relative success of the movie, I hope lack of profit doesn't alter any future appearances of Shang-Chi in the MCU
    I think it won’t. Covid has drastically changed the landscape of the film industry so if it pulled these kind of numbers in a world without Covid it would definitely be seen as a flop but due to current circumstances it’s a success.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

And unlike BW, Shang didn't have to market itself 2-3x like BW. So there wasn't that lost money.

Shang will definitely appear again... they will make their money back and call it a success and pray theaters go back to normal eventually.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Now that people mention it, Sam's distinctive role in Winter Soldier really was that of the former soldier now doing therapy work with others, which I think is definitely distinctive in the Marvel Universe.
    Yeah it's weird that the one thing we knew about Sam's life before Steve wasn't used in the show. I don't think it was even mentioned? You'd think the showrunners would have at least used that as a launching pad for the rest of the narrative. Hell, Sam could have been Bucky's counselor or something. Maybe they thought it wouldn't mesh with the globe-trotting nature of the story?

While it's a missed opportunity, I do think the show did a good job of keeping Sam's compassion front and center. The way he handled the Flag Smashers, even the fact that much of his hero work revolved around saving people rather than beating up the bad guys, all of that ties nicely back to his time with the VA. I really like the idea of a Captain America who spends more time saving civilians than beating up criminals, and it fits Sam's capability without making him look like a second-string sweeper.

Dreykov's lack of motivation didn't bother me as I saw him as a symbolic representation of the patriarchy.
    Oh he was absolutely a symbol, and I appreciate that. But I also want a character's goals and motivations to make sense and be consistent. Symbolism only gets you so far. Dreykov was a disgusting villain, but he ends up being terribly underwhelming because we're never really sure what kind of threat he poses. The stuff we do know about (the trafficking, the mind rape, etc) is awful, but it's hard to feel the threat when we have no idea what he's doing these things for. Is he trying to rebuild Hydra? Is he trying to control the Western hemisphere as a shadow king? How many bad things is he actually responsible for? We never find out, so his threat remains unsatisfyingly vague.

Still a damn fine movie though.

I doubt it'll be a problem. The film set an all-time record for Labor Day (a low bar but still a new record Marvel can brag about) and has had strong second and third week showings (unlike Widow, which crashed hard after opening weekend due to the same-day-streaming). Only a utter moron would expect to make pre-covid box office right now, and while Disney is stupid enough to piss off Johannson, I don't think they're quite dumb enough to expect "normal" box office numbers.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Yeah it's weird that the one thing we knew about Sam's life before Steve wasn't used in the show. I don't think it was even mentioned? You'd think the showrunners would have at least used that as a launching pad for the rest of the narrative. Hell, Sam could have been Bucky's counselor or something. Maybe they thought it wouldn't mesh with the globe-trotting nature of the story?

While it's a missed opportunity, I do think the show did a good job of keeping Sam's compassion front and center. The way he handled the Flag Smashers, even the fact that much of his hero work revolved around saving people rather than beating up the bad guys, all of that ties nicely back to his time with the VA. I really like the idea of a Captain America who spends more time saving civilians than beating up criminals, and it fits Sam's capability without making him look like a second-string sweeper.
    That's the only thing I liked about him, although it wasn't always consistent. Anyway, I like the idea of heroes trying to avoid conflicts when possible, rather than beating up criminals and being brutal

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Oh he was absolutely a symbol, and I appreciate that. But I also want a character's goals and motivations to make sense and be consistent. Symbolism only gets you so far. Dreykov was a disgusting villain, but he ends up being terribly underwhelming because we're never really sure what kind of threat he poses. The stuff we do know about (the trafficking, the mind rape, etc) is awful, but it's hard to feel the threat when we have no idea what he's doing these things for. Is he trying to rebuild Hydra? Is he trying to control the Western hemisphere as a shadow king? How many bad things is he actually responsible for? We never find out, so his threat remains unsatisfyingly vague.

Still a damn fine movie though.

I doubt it'll be a problem. The film set an all-time record for Labor Day (a low bar but still a new record Marvel can brag about) and has had strong second and third week showings (unlike Widow, which crashed hard after opening weekend due to the same-day-streaming). Only a utter moron would expect to make pre-covid box office right now, and while Disney is stupid enough to piss off Johannson, I don't think they're quite dumb enough to expect "normal" box office numbers.
    Yeah, I suspect Disney isn't too short sighted. Now the question is: where does Shang-Chi show up next

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Of all the problems with MCU Spider-Man, not being snappy, funny or energetic enough is definitely not one of them. Spidey's humor, geekiness and joking under pressure is one of the things that Tom Holland really excels at. He's had more moments of humor and snark that Tobey, Andrew and about the same level as Spectacular and PS4 Spider-Man.
    When they actually write him that way, yeah, but I don't think it's anywhere near as frequent for this version.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    And unlike BW, Shang didn't have to market itself 2-3x like BW. So there wasn't that lost money.

Shang will definitely appear again... they will make their money back and call it a success and pray theaters go back to normal eventually.
    Plus no hybrid release. It's clear now that a theatrical release followed by streaming is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    When they actually write him that way, yeah, but I don't think it's anywhere near as frequent for this version.
    Cite a scene where Holland's Spider-Man is talking and he's not joking around or the scene itself is not played for humor somehow. Sad/dramatic scenes don't count.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Cite a scene where Holland's Spider-Man is talking and he's not joking around or the scene itself is not played for humor somehow. Sad/dramatic scenes don't count.
    I don't remember him joking much during the elemental fights. Although I think he's more often used for situational humor than he is making jokes.

Ultimate Member

Isn't Mcu heroes being humorous during fight scenes something it gets criticized for, though?

Isn't Mcu heroes being humorous during fight scenes something it gets criticized for, though?
    Yeah, but it's an actual personality trait for Spider-Man not just there to add levity.

Ultimate Member

Yeah, but it's an actual personality trait for Spider-Man not just there to add levity.
    I'm aware of that. But I'm fine with how it's done so far because most of the fights with the main villains lean towards the dramatic side. Especially with Mysterio. If he was making jokes all the time during that fight, it wouldn't have made the threat seem as serious

I'm aware of that. But I'm fine with how it's done so far because most of the fights with the main villains lean towards the dramatic side. Especially with Mysterio. If he was making jokes all the time during that fight, it wouldn't have made the threat seem as serious
    Yeah, but in that respect it feels like they're kind of failing in depicting the character.

Agree to disagree.

Ultimate Member

Yeah, but in that respect it feels like they're kind of failing in depicting the character.
    I don't agree at all. Him making quips in battle is cool but it not being there doesn't break the character for me.

Dreykov's lack of motivation didn't bother me as I saw him as a symbolic representation of the patriarchy.

Also he's a coward. I doubt he would have stepped out of the shadows regardless of his talk. Natasha even called him out on it if I remember correctly.

I guess it's because girls are easier to attain for him than boys. At the time when China's government allowed families to have only one child some Chinese parents disposed of their first-born female babies because they wanted their only child to be male. Sadly it's the case in many third world countries that male babies are much more valued than girls so I believe it was easier for Dreykov to get poor families to sell him their female children. That's why he calls them trash.
    You make a really good point about the real world former "One-Child Policy" in China. Thanks for reminding me. I guess the whole Red Room and Black Widow program elements of the movie definitely let me down a bit. To me the movie basically stated that Natasha was just another Black Widow, indistinguishable from those other ladies she fought. She should be the best one. Maybe even better than Yelena. I did like the first fight between Natasha and Yelena and I thought it looked pretty good. Unfortunately, as good as the choreography was I did feel it was kind of pointless. I don't like the MCU CONTINUING to have their heroes "tussle" before they start working together. I agree a lot of things happened to undermine the potential of this film. I thought the marketing for Black Widow was TERRIBLE. You could tell that Disney was absolutely keen on promoting their Disney Plus shows, particularly WandaVision and Loki. And I felt Black Widow was neglected a bit. I mean, Wanda and Vision were my favorite Avengers when I read them as a kid, and Loki is probably my favorite MCU character so I'm glad they WERE promoted. But it seemed to me that Black Widow was sort of an afterthought to Marvel Studios. And I think it sucks ass that Black Widow will largely now be known for ScarJo's lawsuit against Disney. I dunno, the whole thing left a sour taste in my mouth. I will say that I think it was a solid film though, even though I have to be honest: I wanted to like it a LOT more than I did.
    Last edited by Albert1981; 09-21-2021 at 10:32 AM.