Page 323 of 775 FirstFirst ... 223273313319320321322323324325326327333373423 ... LastLast
Results 4,831 to 4,845 of 11619
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Not really. He's meant to be more of an aloof type of scientist compared to Stark, Pym and Banner.
    Since the beginning, comic book Reed Richards has been defined by 3 things, Scientific Curiosity (does science-y stuff just to do it), monomaniacal focus on problem solving and his love for his family. Those are in order but as time went on Monomania kinda took the number one slot over Scientific Curiosity.

While Reed's Monomania is nearly always focused on positive things like protecting Earth, it tends to make him less likable to modern readers, who wonder why his Wife puts up with him.

This might be a likeability problem for MCU Reed, so maybe they are going to lean into it and make Reed's monomania on curing The Thing. He accidentally messed up his best friend's life and he's dedicated himself to fixing it and the FF only exists to get the money to do said fixing. This would make him way more likeable and even in line with the comics (at least the 60's Reed before Ben kinda gave up on becoming normal).

Otherwise there is a concern that they might pull from the various parody versions of Reed ( Venture Bros., Rick & Morty) and make him a borderline sociopath...

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    The she-hulk series will be half episodes and the episodes will be 10.
    Does this mean 30 minutes of actual show or 24 minuts of show and 6 minuts of credits?

Those What If episodes went so dang fast.

Feel like 45ish minutes is the sweet spot for TV shows personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    Godly overpowered characters really don’t translate well. Is this what happened to DC or is there something else going on here?
    Eh, Thor did fine, Captain Marvel did fine.

the movie just looks... boring. THe only personality you see is when they make an Avengers joke.

I mean, it fits that immortal timeless super powered beings might be abit bland but that doesn't make them fun to watch lol

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post

I feel like there are a growing number of critics that are going to critically trash MCU films going forward until they make a Joker or similar artsy type of Super Hero movie.
    BW and Shang did great with critics though.

It seems like MCU may have tried to go the "more than a action/comedy" route and it didn't work.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

I mean, ****, look at the first trailers for

Ant-Man... a ridiculous concept with an unknown D list character

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdKf3MneyI

or GoG... a ridiculous concept with unknown D list characters from space

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d96cjJhvlMA

then Eternals.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS1D_1l4SL8
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

Since the beginning, comic book Reed Richards has been defined by 3 things, Scientific Curiosity (does science-y stuff just to do it), monomaniacal focus on problem solving and his love for his family. Those are in order but as time went on Monomania kinda took the number one slot over Scientific Curiosity.

While Reed's Monomania is nearly always focused on positive things like protecting Earth, it tends to make him less likable to modern readers, who wonder why his Wife puts up with him.

This might be a likeability problem for MCU Reed, so maybe they are going to lean into it and make Reed's monomania on curing The Thing. He accidentally messed up his best friend's life and he's dedicated himself to fixing it and the FF only exists to get the money to do said fixing. This would make him way more likeable and even in line with the comics (at least the 60's Reed before Ben kinda gave up on becoming normal).

Otherwise there is a concern that they might pull from the various parody versions of Reed ( Venture Bros., Rick & Morty) and make him a borderline sociopath...
    I just don't like the whole idea of a woman putting up with a husband who doesn't seem to care for her. It's such a sexist and outdated idea.

That and his dialogue makes him look unnatural.

Extraordinary Member

Marvel Studios CONFIRMS Agents of SHIELD is NOT in the MCU

Extraordinary Member

Marvel Studios Reveals That Agent Carter Is MCU Canon & Marvel TV Problems

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I mean, ****, look at the first trailers for

Ant-Man... a ridiculous concept with an unknown D list character

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdKf3MneyI

or GoG... a ridiculous concept with unknown D list characters from space

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d96cjJhvlMA

then Eternals.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS1D_1l4SL8
    Just look at Thor. They saw the Thor movies weren't working and they leaned so hard into the comedy and zaniness and it actually worked.

I just hate the idea that the lesson they're going to take from this is that the answer to making anything popular is making it quippier.
    Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    I just don't like the whole idea of a woman putting up with a husband who doesn't seem to care for her. It's such a sexist and outdated idea.

He usually shows he cares by then, though.

It's supposed to come off as unnatural.

Extraordinary Member

Marvel Studios was Locked Out of Control over Daredevil, Blade, Ghost Rider & More

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    Marvel Studios was Locked Out of Control over Daredevil, Blade, Ghost Rider & More

I always got the impression it was sort of mess. Probably very frustrating for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    Godly overpowered characters really don’t translate well. Is this what happened to DC or is there something else going on here?
    It's not godly overpowered characters not translating well.

The gist I'm getting from the reviews is that this is both a Chloe Zhao movie and a Marvel movie, so if you prefer Chloe's style then you're not going enjoy the bits that feel like a Marvel movie (eg: the big CGI battle) and if you went in expecting a Marvel movie then you are not going to like the Chloe Zhao bits.

Nearly all the Marvel Cosmic movies (Guardians, Thor, CM, IW and EG) have aimed for broad audience appeal and leaned into comedy. This movie is just different. People might view it favorably later on or it will be viewed as a good thing. Either way, I'm glad that the 'Marvel Cosmic' side can incorporate different styles. We can have Gunn and Waiti's self aware space comedies and we can have Zhao's more serious thoughtful approach and CM/IW that finds a middle ground between both. Meanwhile, for the grounded espionage stuff, MCU seem to only be able to replicate the WS formula (see BW and F&tWS).

I'm a millenial but I'm also aware of the sliding timescale and how certain elements are phased out of characters as time passes. There has been multiple retellings of the FF story over the years. I tend to view Reed's remarks as sexist but anachronistic, it's something 60's Reed did and not something modern Reed would do nor something that modern Sue would put up with.

He does care for her. He just gets so hyper focused on stuff that he ends up shutting out everything else which is not helped by the immense guilt he feels for putting his friends in that situation in the first place. But when not at work or when push comes to shove, Reed has always proven himself to be a caring family man and loving husband.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    He usually shows he cares by then, though.
    How though?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's supposed to come off as unnatural.
    How's it enjoyable to watch someone speak dialogue that doesn't sound like a real person?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    He does care for her. He just gets so hyper focused on stuff that he ends up shutting out everything else which is not helped by the immense guilt he feels for putting his friends in that situation in the first place. But when not at work or when push comes to shove, Reed has always proven himself to be a caring family man and loving husband.
    I'm currently reading part of the 2018 run so maybe I'll see how he's changed. But I don't get the sense his sexist behavior is ever challenged.

How though?
    I think when push comes to shove he'll drop everything to save Sue. He usually gets more emotional when she's in danger.

I think Fantastic Four: Season One depicted this well.
    How's it enjoyable to watch someone speak dialogue that doesn't sound like a real person?
    I guess it comes down to what one views as realistic dialogue. I've never seen Reed come off as unrealistic, he just focuses so much on science that it's the thing he talks about the most.
    I'm currently reading part of the 2018 run so maybe I'll see how he's changed. But I don't get the sense his sexist behavior is ever challenged.
    Challenged in the sense that it was acknowledged as happening? Because I think the train of thought was it wouldn't make sense for his modern characterization so it's not something that really needs to be addressed.

Can you cite examples of this 'unnatural dialogue'?

If you mean the 60's then nearly everybody sounded stilted and weird in that era.