Page 332 of 777 FirstFirst ... 232282322328329330331332333334335336342382432 ... LastLast
Results 4,966 to 4,980 of 11648
    Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Can add my name to the list of people who loved Eternals. Just wish some of their names got used more so that I could keep track of whose who.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Seeing it tonight! I’m pumped.

Also dang the RT is 49%. Even without seeing it I feel like I can’t be that bad.
    It is just a scale of how many people thought ti was above "average".

So a "mediocre" movie should hang round 50% +/- 10% because it implies half probably don't like it and half probably like it.

I mean, Man of Steel is around 50% from memory and it embodies that perfectly.

Since it is "mediocre" in this sense, it just means peoplle are going to be talking about it for a long time aka arguing lol
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    And folks WONDER why Brie Larson said what she said at A Wrinkle in Time Premiere. That lead to the push against her.

Out of EVERYTHING in that movie-SHE was the issue that person had?

I bet they didn't say a word about Nick Fury.
    It's one critic, I do agree we need more diversity in critics though.

But Brie didn't really put it in the right way, being blunt costs you in the industry.Also w/ her interviews w/ other Marvel cast and her bland acting isn't exactly a surprise why people don't like her.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    It is just a scale of how many people thought ti was above "average".

So a "mediocre" movie should hang round 50% +/- 10% because it implies half probably don't like it and half probably like it.

I mean, Man of Steel is around 50% from memory and it embodies that perfectly.

Since it is "mediocre" in this sense, it just means peoplle are going to be talking about it for a long time aka arguing lol
    I don't get how a Marvel movie got so low, specially since other worse ones and/or diverse films got much higher.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    It's one critic, I do agree we need more diversity in critics though.

But Brie didn't really put it in the right way, being blunt costs you in the industry.Also w/ her interviews w/ other Marvel cast and her bland acting isn't exactly a surprise why people don't like her.
    Correct.

I think the bigger elephant in the room was or should have been-are we encouraging POC and women to enter that field. If you only get white guys applying for the job in larger numbers than others-what do you expect?

I don't get how a Marvel movie got so low, specially since other worse ones and/or diverse films got much higher.
    In most cases I would suspect the following-

More folks are doing reviews and they fall under three factions-

They have not seen it and gives it high ranks-see Coates Black Panther. All they see is a black writer and propped up agendas bashing a black man. Story content has ZERO meaning.

They have seen it and are giving honest reviews.

They are PAID-one of the reasons Amazon does not allow you to review something unless you buy stuff from them is because folks were giving paid reviews AKA sponsored comments.

I am watching a YT movie (UK version of Max Headroom movie) and doing a chat-

This is what someone said about Eternals

​Max Headroom could very easily be remade these days, but Hollywood would gut it of any value or substance. Like The Eternals.

Just read about what they've done. No need to see the movie.

When the political agenda gets in the way of storytelling, time to give up.
    This is the mess we are going to be seeing until Spiderman comes out.

A DEAD property that would NEVER get made if SPidey, FF and X-Men rights were at Marvel. Yet we got folks getting TRIGGERED over a gay couple and a black woman.

Oh I am so SICK of people equating having non-white and non-straight characters with a political agenda. People really mad that other kinds of humans EXIST in this world.
    Last edited by Kingdom X; 11-05-2021 at 11:35 PM.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Oh I am so SICK of people equating having non-white and non-straight characters with a political agenda. People really made that other kinds of humans EXIST in this world.
    100% agree. They make a bigger deal of it too. They whine about "having black people, gays, and women shoved down their throats." If I remember correctly, one of the suits at Marvel said something along the lines (referring to the All New All Different era) "comic book readers don't want diversity" and the reaction was "we don't!" They should've known a lot of comic book readers are people and they won't pick up a book with a POC/LGBTQI person because of that reason. They can give two sh*ts about the story.

It sounds terrible, but it's basically their argument. Being born as a non-white straight man means that your existence to them is just for politics. Whose politics? And comics are very political. If people get offended by politics in comics and comic book movies, they don't know how to read between the lines.

You two have hit it right on the head. They treat the existence of people who are not straight white men as unnatural, political, and offensive. It's amazing more people within comic book fandom don't push back against those attitudes, they're everywhere and it's exhausting.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    You two have hit it right on the head. They treat the existence of people who are not straight white men as unnatural, political, and offensive. It's amazing more people within comic book fandom don't push back against those attitudes, they're everywhere and it's exhausting.

Couldn't agree more. People equating having gay people in a movie or someone of a different race as political are making it political. Its like 30 years ago when they made Dances with wolves and the natives were cast as actual humans, as something political. People can make anything political in their own minds and then have that reinforced by others who have agendas.

Someone can and I am sure they did equate look who's coming to dinner as a political movie. Instead of a movie about race issues. We can extrapolate that as those who made the movie as having a political motivation. Instead of telling a story that is relevant to the times. I am 100 percent sure there were many saying why do you have to shove this stuff that is real and is actually happening into our face.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Correct.

I think the bigger elephant in the room was or should have been-are we encouraging POC and women to enter that field. If you only get white guys applying for the job in larger numbers than others-what do you expect?
    They should do more to get a more diverse people interested in this IMO

In most cases I would suspect the following-

More folks are doing reviews and they fall under three factions-

They have not seen it and gives it high ranks-see Coates Black Panther. All they see is a black writer and propped up agendas bashing a black man. Story content has ZERO meaning.

They have seen it and are giving honest reviews.

They are PAID-one of the reasons Amazon does not allow you to review something unless you buy stuff from them is because folks were giving paid reviews AKA sponsored comments.
    I'm taking about critics, they gave other diverse movies like Black Panther good ratings.If anything they should be generous considering how Marvel ratings go, so why did this not make the cut?

I am watching a YT movie (UK version of Max Headroom movie) and doing a chat-

This is what someone said about Eternals

This is the mess we are going to be seeing until Spiderman comes out.

A DEAD property that would NEVER get made if SPidey, FF and X-Men rights were at Marvel. Yet we got folks getting TRIGGERED over a gay couple and a black woman.
    So critics are r*cist, I can see that.But then why did other diverse stuff be so heavily praised when thus failed, this isn't the first diverse Marvel movie so what gives

Oh I am so SICK of people equating having non-white and non-straight characters with a political agenda. People really made that other kinds of humans EXIST in this world.
    As a POC, there is an agenda.There should not be, but there is.Because at the end of the day these companies do not care about actual representation.When this movie's biggest thing in it's press is it's "diversity", when having out first LGBTQ+ superhero is a something they advertise that means there is an agenda.If there wasn't an agenda we would have seen more POC's in movies for a long time.

Not evil or something, it's not good either.Just like anything else it's for their benefit, but a good deed for their benefit is still a good deed.

And let's not forget people who say the movie is good just because it's is diverse, which is plain wrong.....

Also I think I agree w/ this review

Last edited by Spiderfan001; 11-06-2021 at 12:37 AM.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

As a POC, there is an agenda.There should not be, but there is.Because at the end of the day these companies do not care about actual representation.When this movie's biggest thing in it's press is it's "diversity", when having out first LGBTQ+ superhero is a something they advertise that means there is an agenda.If there wasn't an agenda we would have seen more POC's in movies for a long time.

Not evil or something, it's not good either.Just like anything else it's for their benefit, but a good deed for their benefit is still a good deed.

And let's not forget people who say the movie is good just because it's is diverse, which is plain wrong.....]
    There has been an "agenda" by the people pushing against the inclusion of diversity. Why would someone get triggered by the inclusion of diversity? They won't allow The Eternals to be seen in several countries just because there is a (short) kiss between a same sex couple. We're trying to push pass this, and there have always been an agenda against diversity.

Why do you think having black and gay super heroes on screen is seeing so much pushback? If "pushing", or whatever they want to label it, diversity is apparently the only way we could normalize POC/LGBTQI to future generations so it won't be an issue and we could move forward, I think it's a good thing.

It's not for their benefit when they lost markets in other countries, and I haven't really heard anyone say the sole purpose for a movie being good was because it had black gay man, and no other reason.

Because "worse" is subjective. Critiquing films isn't a science (at least not how it is done now).

That is why RT existed int he first place. To take all the different critic scores from different sources from different opinions and try to come to some sort of a "consensus" for normal people to judge a movie. Instead of just relying on one critic in your newspaper, they took all they couldfind and made a graphic out of it.

Plus... its "score" is actually 5.6/10 which isn't that different from the score to TDW at 6.2/10.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

If your first thought upon seeing a cast of mostly non white actors with some LGBTQ+ characters is 'AGENDA' then you probably need to re-examine why you think that. Is white, straight and male the norm in your mind? For a long time, that was the norm that was enforced by Hollywood but people who don't fit in to those narrow categories have always existed and are only now getting the representation we deserve on film.

Some people are fixated on the diversity and yes they talked about it in interview but this film has primarily sold itself as a high concept sci fi movie set in the MCU starring a cast of otherworldly characters that yes, was being played by a diverse group of actors. It was never just 'THE DIVERSE MOVIE' when they promoted it.

The reason why Eternals is getting a low RT score isn't because of 'ZOMG DIVERSITY', the reason why it's getting that it's because it's an almost 3 hour long movie that's introducing 10 different main characters, establishing their powers, introducing some high concept sci-fi elements to the universe in a storyline that spans several centuries and the story is being told in a style and tone that's very dissimilar to the way Marvel has been telling their stories for the last 10 years now. Because of that there is s hype backlash towards the movie from critics. Even though the critic score is low, the audience score for this movie is very high. It's worldwide debut wasn't far behind Shang Chi. We'll have to wait and see where this film stands once the dust settles. I suspect people will have a better opinion of it in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    The reason why Eternals is getting a low RT score isn't because of 'ZOMG DIVERSITY', the reason why it's getting that it's because it's an almost 3 hour long movie that's introducing 10 different main characters, establishing their powers, introducing some high concept sci-fi elements to the universe in a storyline that spans several centuries and the story is being told in a style and tone that's very dissimilar to the way Marvel has been telling their stories for the last 10 years now. Because of that there is s hype backlash towards the movie from critics. Even though the critic score is low, the audience score for this movie is very high. It's worldwide debut wasn't far behind Shang Chi. We'll have to wait and see where this film stands once the dust settles. I suspect people will have a better opinion of it in the future.
    Look at Ocean's Eleven or The Expendables, or any war movie with a Squadron, or Suicide Squad, or whatever. The number of characters has nothing to do with it.

I loved Eternals. The more I think about it the more I am convinced that it's one of the best solo Marvel movies. It just feels so fresh, I love those characters an every single actor is absolutely great (except for Sersi and Dane Withman if I'm being honest, but it's ok).

This movie has so much exposition, but it just works so well because every new piece of information has an emotional effect. And the third act of this movie sticks the landing so well. One of the most interesting choices they made come in the form of Sprite. She makes so many interesting and compelling choices throughout the story. And the villain of the movie doesn't take over the plot as always.

I loved Infinity War, hated Avengers Endgame, loved Black Widow (even though I had not interest in it before seeing it) and was lukewarm of Shang Chi. I'm so glad we have a movie like Eternals.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Look at Ocean's Eleven or The Expendables, or any war movie with a Squadron, or Suicide Squad, or whatever. The number of characters has nothing to do with it.

I loved Eternals. The more I think about it the more I am convinced that it's one of the best solo Marvel movies. It just feels so fresh, I love those characters an every single actor is absolutely great (except for Sersi and Dane Withman if I'm being honest, but it's ok).

This movie has so much exposition, but it just works so well because every new piece of information has an emotional effect. And the third act of this movie sticks the landing so well. One of the most interesting choices they made come in the form of Sprite. She makes so many interesting and compelling choices throughout the story. And the villain of the movie doesn't take over the plot as always.

I loved Infinity War, hated Avengers Endgame, loved Black Widow (even though I had not interest in it before seeing it) and was lukewarm of Shang Chi. I'm so glad we have a movie like Eternals.
    I had the opposite reaction to this film and found it a fairly boring mess and I disagree with your point on the exposition but I appreciate you sharing your thoughts and it’s a reminder that film is always going to be subjective. Two people can watch the same film but have totally different thoughts and that’s okay. I like that there isn’t just diversity in the film’s we see, but the opinions we share on them. I found the film unengaging and uninspired, but even if I didn’t care much for the film I admire Marvel allowing themselves to take such a radical pendulum swing in the other direction in tone compared to their other movies, even if it didn’t quite work for me and many others. Maybe I’ll give the movie another watch at some point when it comes on Disney Plus, but sadly I don’t think it works very well. And it looks I’m in the minority as it seems most fans like your either liked it or flat out loved it and I’m happy for anyone who did and wish I felt that way. Oh well, it is what it is!
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 11-06-2021 at 06:24 AM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.