Page 333 of 775 FirstFirst ... 233283323329330331332333334335336337343383433 ... LastLast
Results 4,981 to 4,995 of 11625
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    If your first thought upon seeing a cast of mostly non white actors with some LGBTQ+ characters is 'AGENDA' then you probably need to re-examine why you think that. Is white, straight and male the norm in your mind? For a long time, that was the norm that was enforced by Hollywood but people who don't fit in to those narrow categories have always existed and are only now getting the representation we deserve on film.
    Yeah, anytime someone says 'they're getting political', I get suspicious

I'm surprised people keep forgetting about that scene with Christine Everhart in Iron Man 1 and the implications in GoTG Volume 1 when they keep saying this movie had Marvel's first sex scene.

(Oh yeah, Betty and Bruce were about to knock boots in Incredible Hulk before he got too excited and they didn't want to risk a Hulk transformation).

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm surprised people keep forgetting about that scene with Christine Everhart in Iron Man 1 and the implications in GoTG Volume 1 when they keep saying this movie had Marvel's first sex scene.

(Oh yeah, Betty and Bruce were about to knock boots in Incredible Hulk before he got too excited and they didn't want to risk a Hulk transformation).
    That reminds me that in Eternals the straight unmarried couple were butt naked rocking gently back and forth, and people were up in arms for the love tap of the two men. And all of the other relationships were hetero!

Iron Man was pre Disney.

The Netflix Marvel shows had sexual content but I guess they don't 'count' for mainstream audiences.

I agree that people are making a fuss over nothing. A blink and you miss it hetero sex scene and a gentle depiction of a gay couple.

Iron Man was pre Disney.

The Netflix Marvel shows had sexual content but I guess they don't 'count' for mainstream audiences.

I agree that people are making a fuss over nothing. A blink and you miss it hetero sex scene and a gentle depiction of a gay couple.
    Yeah, but it's part of the MCU. It kickstarted it. It's on Disney+.

To be honest I appreciate that they were willing to progress past the vanilla romance stage in a movie again.

Ultimate Member

I don't get why anyone's invested in having a sex scene in any of these movies. Of all the problems I've noticed with the MCU, I've never thought 'more sex' would fix any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    I don't get why anyone's invested in having a sex scene in any of these movies. Of all the problems I've noticed with the MCU, I've never thought 'more sex' would fix any of them.
    What's wrong with having them?

I don't think the sex scene was trying to fix any problems. I don't see any issue with showing intimacy on the screen, if it's done tastefully and the actors are comfortable. Matter of fact I think there are benefits to demystifying sex and showing audiences positive sexual experiences. Again not needed in a Marvel movie/show, but if the director thinks it adds to the story I don't see a problem.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    What's wrong with having them?
    I didn't mean anything was wrong with them. Although personally I find them pointless but that's just my bias. I've just heard people criticize the MCU for being 'sexless' and I've never thought of that as a correct criticism

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I don't think the sex scene was trying to fix any problems. I don't see any issue with showing intimacy on the screen, if it's done tastefully and the actors are comfortable. Matter of fact I think there are benefits to demystifying sex and showing audiences positive sexual experiences. Again not needed in a Marvel movie/show, but if the director thinks it adds to the story I don't see a problem.
    I can see that. I just don't think anything's 'missing' from the MCU if it doesn't have on-screen sex.

Although after everything I've heard about Hollywood in recent years, I tend to feel awkward when I see this stuff, because I wonder if the actors are really ok with acting it out.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    There has been an "agenda" by the people pushing against the inclusion of diversity. Why would someone get triggered by the inclusion of diversity? They won't allow The Eternals to be seen in several countries just because there is a (short) kiss between a same sex couple. We're trying to push pass this, and there have always been an agenda against diversity.

Why do you think having black and gay super heroes on screen is seeing so much pushback? If "pushing", or whatever they want to label it, diversity is apparently the only way we could normalize POC/LGBTQI to future generations so it won't be an issue and we could move forward, I think it's a good thing.

It's not for their benefit when they lost markets in other countries, and I haven't really heard anyone say the sole purpose for a movie being good was because it had black gay man, and no other reason.
    I agree, I'm saying the company has an agenda to push past the opposing agenda.Agenda doesn't mean it's bad, I even stated in my post it's good.

Again I said so myself

I've seen multiple people saying

1)It's good because it's diverse
    2)Anyone who doesn't like it is against diversity(to put it mildly)

So that's just false

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Because "worse" is subjective. Critiquing films isn't a science (at least not how it is done now).

That is why RT existed int he first place. To take all the different critic scores from different sources from different opinions and try to come to some sort of a "consensus" for normal people to judge a movie. Instead of just relying on one critic in your newspaper, they took all they couldfind and made a graphic out of it.

Plus... its "score" is actually 5.6/10 which isn't that different from the score to TDW at 6.2/10.
    My point is why is the score of this movie so low as compared to other recent marvel movies?
    It's not quality because Black Widow got a good score and it's not diversity because Black Panther and Shang Chi got good scores

If your first thought upon seeing a cast of mostly non white actors with some LGBTQ+ characters is 'AGENDA' then you probably need to re-examine why you think that. Is white, straight and male the norm in your mind? For a long time, that was the norm that was enforced by Hollywood but people who don't fit in to those narrow categories have always existed and are only now getting the representation we deserve on film.
    I grew up on majority of bollywood films, white characters were the exception for me.Then again growing up we never even took notice/cared about race/skin color of the characters whether watching a bollywood or hollywood movie, it's def. more prevalent in the west.I wasn't around the CBM side of internet when BP came out and it being the first Black character lead movie in Marvel never even crossed my mind, much less something that they would use to promote the movie.

And "Agenda" isn't a bad thing

Agenda:-: "an underlying often ideological plan or program"

Why are you treating agendas as if they are an inherently terrible thing?

Some people are fixated on the diversity and yes they talked about it in interview but this film has primarily sold itself as a high concept sci fi movie set in the MCU starring a cast of otherworldly characters that yes, was being played by a diverse group of actors. It was never just 'THE DIVERSE MOVIE' when they promoted it.
    And hence why I said it's an agenda, they did sell it as a diverse movie and a lot of the talk by press or on the various platforms is about said diversity. The discussion of the Sci-fi aspect is in a minority in comparison.

It was being played by a diverse cast and that was a big point in their press, same as Shang Chi(so much of Simu's press revolved around this).Doesn't mean it's the only thing about the movie they sold, but it's one of the big ones.

It being a diverse cast isn't agenda, them using that as one of the main promotion points in the press of the movie is

And what you said earlier "Is white, straight and male the norm in your mind?"

It's not in my mind, it's in Marvel's.If it wasn't then diversity wouldn't be such a massive talking point

The reason why Eternals is getting a low RT score isn't because of 'ZOMG DIVERSITY', the reason why it's getting that it's because it's an almost 3 hour long movie that's introducing 10 different main characters, establishing their powers, introducing some high concept sci-fi elements to the universe in a storyline that spans several centuries and the story is being told in a style and tone that's very dissimilar to the way Marvel has been telling their stories for the last 10 years now. Because of that there is s hype backlash towards the movie from critics. Even though the critic score is low, the audience score for this movie is very high. It's worldwide debut wasn't far behind Shang Chi. We'll have to wait and see where this film stands once the dust settles. I suspect people will have a better opinion of it in the future.
    I'd expect "hyper backlash" from such a tonal change from audience rather than professional critics but I agree w/ everything else.
    Last edited by Spiderfan001; 11-06-2021 at 01:04 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I didn't mean anything was wrong with them. Although personally I find them pointless but that's just my bias. I've just heard people criticize the MCU for being 'sexless' and I've never thought of that as a correct criticism

I can see that. I just don't think anything's 'missing' from the MCU if it doesn't have on-screen sex.

Although after everything I've heard about Hollywood in recent years, I tend to feel awkward when I see this stuff, because I wonder if the actors are really ok with acting it out.
    I don't think Marvel needs sex scenes but intimacy of other varities wouldn't hurt.

PeterGwen in TASM were very chemistry heavy, haven't seen any other CBM couple come close to that level

After seeing Eternals, here is how I rank all MCU films:

1. Avengers: Infinity War A+
    2. Avengers: Endgame A+
    3. Avengers A
    4. Captain America: Civil War A
    5. Captain America: Winter Soldier A
    6. Iron Man A-
    7. Thor: Ragnarok A-
    8. Spider-Man: Homecoming A-
    9. Spider-Man: Far From Home A-
    10 Black Panther A-
    11. Captain America: The First Avenger B+
    12. Avengers: Age of Ultron B+
    13. Doctor Strange B+
    14. Shang-Chi B+
    15. Black Widow B
    16. Thor B
    17. Guardians of the Galaxy B
    18. Ant-Man B
    19. Eternals B-
    20. Ant-Man and the Wasp B-
    21. Guardians of the Galaxy 2 B-
    22. Iron Man 2 B-
    23. Incredible Hulk B-
    24. Iron Man 3 B-
    25. Captain Marvel B-
    26. Thor: The Dark World C+

Eternals had problems, but I enjoyed it.

I thought a lot of the issues with Eternals were overblown. Having seen it, yeah, its long but it's an ensemble cast of 10 and develops each character well. The characters aren't good because they're diverse, they're good because the movie took the time to explore them rather than just rushing through each of them and turning into a brawl.

It was definitely character development over action, but the plot was steady throughout so I liked it.

Just saw it today and I really liked the Eternals movie. The only parts I didn't like that much were Sersi and Ikaris interactions. I found the dialogue kinda cringey, specially Ikaris' lines who I found kinda stiff in those scenes.

Extraordinary Member

Marvel has enough diverse characters in their library that they shouldn't need to race or gender swap anyone. How about just using those characters.