Page 344 of 775 FirstFirst ... 244294334340341342343344345346347348354394444 ... LastLast
Results 5,146 to 5,160 of 11623
    Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks that the MCU is introducing way too MANY characters way too QUICKLY? For MCU diehards and comic book fans, it's not a big deal. But I think casual viewers and new audience members will be overwhelmed with how many there are. I still think Disney has to start retiring characters before things get too unwieldy. Successful television franchises like Grey's Anatomy, Law & Order, NCIS, CSI and Star Trek never really "added" so many characters to their shows without "subtracting" others at the same time. I actually agree with Feige delaying the Disney Plus Marvel shows and films for a few months. I think Marvel Studios should pump the breaks on the pace of product rollout, and limit the output of series and films per year. I'm basically one of the ONLY posters on this thread who seems to be experiencing some severe Marvel fatigue. But I've heard plenty of evidence online that I'm not alone here. Watching these shows and movies is starting to feel a bit like homework and a chore to me. I don't think it's a good idea to prioritize quantity over quality. Sometimes I feel like the criticisms of the Eternals feels more like a criticism of the MCU as a whole. I mean some of the reviews I've read were absolutely SAVAGE when it came to this latest movie, WAY worse than for other previous Marvel entries. Again, I think Marvel/Disney should slow things down.
    I don't think casual spectators give a lot of importance to everything Marvel. I only watched Eternals because it looked new and had an interesting story based on the synopsis. The others were just action movies: a spy movie, a martial arts movie, a Venom movie. Yeah. There's an audience for everything and everyone isn't obligated to watch everything Disney releases.

Disney is just making their money from the investments they bought. The criticisms of The Eternals movie weren't MCU related. They were mostly that there were a lot of characters and the pace of the roll out of the characters was meh. It's not a big deal.

What is Marvel fatigue and what are people afraid of exactly? That when their favorite character gets a movie no one will watch it and they'll think their character sucks? Remember that many countries closed movie theaters for over a year, so they all came out at once. Also, there's a lot of people who still don't feel comfortable with going to the cinema yet.

Quote Originally Posted by I’m An Agent of Chaos View Post
    Question: does Eternals mention the Celestials tampering with humanity or anything like that?
    No. They completely retconned that aspect of the Eternals mythos. So everyone who thought it was just made to introduce the mutants got a rude awakening. They might retcon it back.

spoilers:
    They're robots. They aren't an offshoot of the three humanoid species. They made deviants, but they evolved, so they made the eternals robots so that they couldn't evolve. This could mean Thanos was a robot too since his brother is one. It could all be a lie from the Celestial because he lied to all of them in the movie.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Force de Phenix; 11-10-2021 at 06:16 PM.

Am I the only one who thinks that the MCU is introducing way too MANY characters way too QUICKLY?
    Talk about Marvel fatigue has been around since phase 2. It's a valid concern but I don't think we're close to the precipice.

I think we went all of 2020 without a new Marvel film, and that made this year feel even more crammed full than it would have otherwise. And it *is* a busy year, with four films and what, five shows? That's a lot of MCU, but if people are getting tired of it, the box office and streaming ratings aren't reflecting it.

That said, I wouldn't mind if they slow things down once the current slate is done. Three films and four shows a year would be plenty for me.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    No. They completely retconned that aspect of the Eternals mythos. So everyone who thought it was just made to introduce the mutants got a rude awakening. They might retcon it back.

spoilers:
    They're robots. They aren't an offshoot of the three humanoid species. They made deviants, but they evolved, so they made the eternals robots so that they couldn't evolve. This could mean Thanos was a robot too since his brother is one. It could all be a lie from the Celestial because he lied to all of them in the movie.
    end of spoilers
    Yeah, Marvel Studios seems to be more interested in having the Avengers crossing over with the X-Men series via multiverse based on interviews and leaks.

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    I dont know maybe. Onnnnnn the other hand the top three domestic movies of the year areeeeeee. Shang Chi, Venom, Black Widow. With what looks like Eternals going into the top four(possibly). And Spiderman will be the biggest of the year. Its entirely possible the top 5 domestic movies of the year could be Marvel movies. Which is bonKos.
    Yes, Marvel movies (and other "blockbuster franchises") are "saving" the theater business for sure. And I wouldn't consider the Eternals a "bomb" either. I'm actually saddened that the Eternals didn't do better. I have always said I don't mind the MCU doing different and varied things in the future (so their products don't become stale and repetitive). I hope Feige and his team isn't discouraged from taking risks in the years to come. I just happen to think having too many teams and characters at the same time in the MCU is a BAD idea. I've seen Law & Order, NCIS and CSI ALL try making spin-offs for their "main" shows. The results haven't been too great. I mean, spin-offs CAN work. I don't think anybody thought Frasier would ever be able to even compete with Cheers, but it did all right enough to make Kelsey Grammar an extremely wealthy man. I don't wanna have the next Avengers movie to have fifty different characters!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I personally don't, but if the story calls for it why not?

I mean black stories don't always have to be about some kind of racial trauma, but I don't know what the MCU wants with these characters.

But to your point most likely if the FF are changed then it will probably be completely superficial.
    Most of the non-White heroes haven't even dealt with anything political anyway in the MCU

Ultimate Member

Yes, Marvel movies (and other "blockbuster franchises") are "saving" the theater business for sure. And I wouldn't consider the Eternals a "bomb" either. I'm actually saddened that the Eternals didn't do better. I have always said I don't mind the MCU doing different and varied things in the future (so their products don't become stale and repetitive). I hope Feige and his team isn't discouraged from taking risks in the years to come. I just happen to think having too many teams and characters at the same time in the MCU is a BAD idea. I've seen Law & Order, NCIS and CSI ALL try making spin-offs for their "main" shows. The results haven't been too great. I mean, spin-offs CAN work. I don't think anybody thought Frasier would ever be able to even compete with Cheers, but it did all right enough to make Kelsey Grammar an extremely wealthy man. I don't wanna have the next Avengers movie to have fifty different characters!
    I think you're overreacting

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    I don't think casual spectators give a lot of importance to everything Marvel. I only watched Eternals because it looked new and had an interesting story based on the synopsis. The others were just action movies: a spy movie, a martial arts movie, a Venom movie. Yeah. There's an audience for everything and everyone isn't obligated to watch everything Disney releases.

Disney is just making their money from the investments they bought. The criticisms of The Eternals movie weren't MCU related. They were mostly that there were a lot of characters and the pace of the roll out of the characters was meh. It's not a big deal.

What is Marvel fatigue and what are people afraid of exactly? That when their favorite character gets a movie no one will watch it and they'll think their character sucks? Remember that many countries closed movie theaters for over a year, so they all came out at once. Also, there's a lot of people who still don't feel comfortable with going to the cinema yet.
    I would never count out Feige and his team. But I definitely get the sense there's a LOT of schadenfreude out there in the entertainment industry and among movie fandom in general over Marvel's first "major disappointment" at the box office. Lots of folks are absolutely RELISHING Marvel "taking an L" right now. I think the extent of the "failure" is greatly exaggerated, but the way Disney promoted this film makes me think they were COMPLETELY caught off guard by the negative reaction. Indeed, I find the media reaction to the Eternals might be more interesting than the film itself! I think they should adjust their strategy going forward.

I think the pandemic (though very tragic) gave audiences a nice break so they could catch up on the movies again and get hyped for new content. But there's been SO much of it this year already. More than ever before. As you say, lots of folks are reluctant to go to the movies these days. That's why I'm totally fine with Disney delaying their 2022 projects. As more countries get their health situations under control, things should be better and more people will go to theaters. Me? I prefer watching movies in my underwear at home when I can take a leak whenever I want to (without having to say excuse me) and I can have closed captioning. Besides, I don't live and die by superhero content. NONE of the Phase Four stuff has impressed me as much as the stuff from the first three phases. Maybe's that's why fatigue is affecting ME more. Hell, American Experience's documentary on William Randolph Heart is the best thing I've seen on television in 2021 thus far.
    Last edited by Albert1981; 11-10-2021 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Talk about Marvel fatigue has been around since phase 2. It's a valid concern but I don't think we're close to the precipice.

I think we went all of 2020 without a new Marvel film, and that made this year feel even more crammed full than it would have otherwise. And it *is* a busy year, with four films and what, five shows? That's a lot of MCU, but if people are getting tired of it, the box office and streaming ratings aren't reflecting it.

That said, I wouldn't mind if they slow things down once the current slate is done. Three films and four shows a year would be plenty for me.
    Disney HAS to slow things down. Pixar and Star Wars need space for their content too on Disney Plus. So that prevents Marvel from oversaturation. All I'm saying is I think Marvel Studios might be stretching themselves a little bit too thin. They don't need to introduce THAT many characters so quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    I think you're overreacting
    How many characters do you want in the next Avengers movie?

Astonishing Member

I mean its doing pretty well, at least compared to other movies this year. I havent seen it yet but I plan to.

Astonishing Member

Disney HAS to slow things down. Pixar and Star Wars need space for their content too on Disney Plus. So that prevents Marvel from oversaturation. All I'm saying is I think Marvel Studios might be stretching themselves a little bit too thin. They don't need to introduce THAT many characters so quickly.

If I am not mistaken I think only 3 movies next year? In the MCU anyway. But there is also Morbius. I mean really if you look at the box office, other than Bond and Fast and Furious people aint going to anything else other than Marvel movies.

I mean its doing pretty well, at least compared to other movies this year. I havent seen it yet but I plan to.
    Yeah, me too. I wanna see what the fuss is all about. Why was there so much critical hate for this movie? I would like to judge it for myself. I probably would like it because I'm interested in shit like Babylonian agriculture and Mesoamerican pyramids. I wanna learn more about non-Western civilizations and the Eternals is gonna give me that education (in a superhero movie).

If I am not mistaken I think only 3 movies next year? In the MCU anyway. But there is also Morbius. I mean really if you look at the box office, other than Bond and Fast and Furious people aint going to anything else other than Marvel movies.
    I think three is an ideal number. That's plenty to keep people satisfied every year. I can't stand Sony Marvel movies, and I try to avoid them at all costs. I agree with you about popular entertainment franchises though. Seems content like the MCU, the DCEU, James Bond, Fast and Furious, Mission Impossible and A Star is Born are the only things people wanna see in theaters these days.

I would never count out Feige and his team. But I definitely get the sense there's a LOT of schadenfreude out there in the entertainment industry and among movie fandom in general over Marvel's first "major disappointment" at the box office. Lots of folks are absolutely RELISHING Marvel "taking an L" right now. I think the extent of the "failure" is greatly exaggerated, but the way Disney promoted this film makes me think they were COMPLETELY caught off guard by the negative reaction. Indeed, I find the media reaction to the Eternals might be more interesting than the film itself! I think they should adjust their strategy going forward.

I think the pandemic (though very tragic) gave audiences a nice break so they could catch up on the movies again and get hyped for new content. But there's been SO much of it this year already. More than ever before. As you say, lots of folks are reluctant to go to the movies these days. That's why I'm totally fine with Disney delaying their 2022 projects. As more countries get their health situations under control, things should be better and more people will go to theaters. Me? I prefer watching movies in my underwear at home when I can take a leak whenever I want to (without having to say excuse me) and I can have closed captioning. Besides, I don't live and die by superhero content. NONE of the Phase Four stuff has impressed me as much as the stuff from the first three phases. Maybe's that's why fatigue is affecting ME more. Hell, American Experience's documentary on William Randolph Heart is the best thing I've seen on television in 2021 thus far.
    There's hundreds of shows and movies out there, and Disney owns over 50% of the box office at any time. I think other companies streaming their movies might benefit them. The Eternals movie wasn't bad. It wasn't as action packed as other MCU movies, and people expect the typical MCU fight scene at the end of each of their movies. This wasn't Civil War. Their new strategy might be to not be so predictable and cliché, because that's what the MCU has become.