Page 359 of 760 FirstFirst ... 259309349355356357358359360361362363369409459 ... LastLast
Results 5,371 to 5,385 of 11387
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    i think as time goes on, Marvel studios needs to explore more concepts beyond their superheroes. The horror characters, the cowboy/western characters, the non-superhero science fiction stories, the fantasy characters (e.g., Weirdworld, etc.. Conan could have been a gold mine for them if they bought the character decades ago.) Mini-series on Disney +, lower-budget films, those should all be on the table.
    Also yes, they should start explore having all new creations which can be retro-fitted into comics.

With Jessica Jones, we've seen how a character exists kind of on the periphery of superhero shenanigans. There could be a TV show focused on a police detective unit operating in Marvel's NYC. Marvel's Code: Blue is also an option to have, a police crew who are called in for super-crime incidents.
    Why westerns? It seems like a limited genre

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    I'm kinda iffy on street level stuff due to recent events in society.
    Arguably there's no better time to dig into such topics.

On the DC forums we were talking about JSA solo movies and I maintain that right now, with the opioid epidemic and legalized weed and the end of the war on drugs, that this is the perfect time to do a grounded, gritty, Vertigo flavored Hourman film. What better time to explore the topics of addiction and loss than when half the nation is hooked on drugs?

Perhaps, but it's capable of knocking out a quality trilogy for Marvel and it'd be fresh and different within the context of the MCU. And it's a popular genre that, despite up's and down's in popularity, has endured for generations.

I'm not big on westerns myself, but it's as viable a genre as any other. At least in the States. I don't know how popular westerns are in other countries.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member

It probably is limited. On the other hand we are talking Marvel here and they can take a genre and do something interesting with it. Ya never know. I would love to see it but I'm a dork.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    on this end, did anyone else kinda find it funny that Widow went with "Red Room guy manipulating the world behind the scenes!" and then 10 rings guy went "Wenwu manipulating the world behind the scenes!" lol

I mean yeesh, are the villains just manipulating each other at htis point haha
    I think at least in those Marvel movies post Thanos now have a weird need to overstate the threat level that thier bad guys pose.

The Red Room works just fine as an information broker/ murder for hire ring.

And Wen Wu was a literal Warlord that at some point probably also became a drug dealing Warlord but I'm not sure Marvel Studios/Disney wants to mention real world drugs in it's works.

It's really silly especially since Iron Man 1 at it's core was was just about Arms Dealers and Terrorists and that was part of what made that movie work.

God forbid they use Vince DiNofrio's Kingpin, at this rate.

They are probably going to want him to have an infinity gem now.🤣

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Arguably there's no better time to dig into such topics.

On the DC forums we were talking about JSA solo movies and I maintain that right now, with the opioid epidemic and legalized weed and the end of the war on drugs, that this is the perfect time to do a grounded, gritty, Vertigo flavored Hourman film. What better time to explore the topics of addiction and loss than when half the nation is hooked on drugs?
    I mean, you could do that given the Tyler family's problems with Miraclo, but that sounds like a surprisingly dark Hourman film (although I've never been much of a Vertigo guy).

Reminds me of the rumors The Flash movie was going to deal with BLM at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Because I don't want every story to be about the end of the world as we know it? Because when the stakes are always set at "end of civilization" then the scope and stakes of that feel flat and pointless.

I like the big, high concept stuff. But if that's all the MCU gives us it'll get real old real fast. Sometimes the best story isn't about a space god trying to eat the planet, it's about the guy stopping a gun dealer from selling uzi's to kids at the local high school.

Those are lowkey by current Marvel standards, but you still had the geopolitical balance in question for Falcon and the threat of global terrorist attacks. With Widow you had the threat of a shadow agency changing the shape of history to fit their whims. It's not as overt as something like Thanos, but both were dealing with geopolitical threats that would have changed the world as we recognize it.

Eh, no more weird than Thor being real, or a kung fu master using bracelets as super weapons.

This genre has never been properly balanced like that. The Avengers have always had guys like Clint on the roster next to guys like Hulk. And I can suspend my disbelief and accept that a powerless archer could find a place on a team that fights alien tyrants...but that doesn't mean that archer has to *always* fight alien tyrants either.

Killmonger came real close to starting World War III and taking over the entire world and bringing back slavery. That is very, very different from Vulture selling scavenged sci-fi guns out of the back of a van.
    Clint doesn't have to fight alien tyrants, you're right. But he HAS done the time and space travel thing, so meting out punishment to thugs engaged in drug trafficking, human trafficking, contract killings, extortion, loan sharking, prostitution, and protection rackets would seem kind of trivial in comparison to me. And I doubt Disney would even TOUCH these crimes in any meaningful way in the MCU. So I'm wondering how Marvel Studios's is gonna handle "street crime" in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    It probably is limited. On the other hand we are talking Marvel here and they can take a genre and do something interesting with it. Ya never know. I would love to see it but I'm a dork.
    I didn't watch Logan, but wasn't that movie considered a modern-day "western"? He looked like an "aging gunslinger" being dragged out of retirement for one "last rodeo" to me.

It's limited in the sense that it's a very specific aesthetic and look but it's also one of the most acclaimed subgenres ever with some of the best movies ever to its name. Wouldn't mind the MCU giving a go like Logan did

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Outside of the obvious choice (ie Wolverine) who else would y'all want a western inspired movie(s) from?

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    Outside of the obvious choice (ie Wolverine) who else would y'all want a western inspired movie(s) from?
    Hm, maybe Red Wolf or Kid Colt?
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Killmonger came real close to starting World War III and taking over the entire world and bringing back slavery. That is very, very different from Vulture selling scavenged sci-fi guns out of the back of a van.
    Eh, maybe. The US war dogs were ignoring them. so he really came close to... sending some spears to Hong Kong lol

(killmonger did not think this through too far).

The point of the movie never really expanded past Wakanda, despite a couple sentences from Killmonger. Even Killmongers "plan" was a personal emotional response to being abandoned.
    Last edited by MindofShadow; 11-22-2021 at 06:26 AM.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    I didn't watch Logan, but wasn't that movie considered a modern-day "western"? He looked like an "aging gunslinger" being dragged out of retirement for one "last rodeo" to me.
    Pretty much. It's a neo-western/superhero drama.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    God forbid they use Vince DiNofrio's Kingpin, at this rate.
    Even though Marvel Netflix kinda feels like a stunted missed opportunity atp, I'm so glad we got those seasons of Daredevil and early Jessica Jones. Especially when it comes to JJ, I don't think the MCU would be willing to tell a survivor's story the way that show did, if at all.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    Heck now that you mention it why not put wolverine in the old west and literally introduce him that way? And then the you can have the other classic marvel western characters be co stars or make guest appearances within that movie. Huh. Marvel call me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Even though Marvel Netflix kinda feels like a stunted missed opportunity atp, I'm so glad we got those seasons of Daredevil and early Jessica Jones. Especially when it comes to JJ, I don't think the MCU would be willing to tell a survivor's story the way that show did, if at all.
    I'm curious how they'll reboot/re-insert that stuff into the MCU (if you take the rumors at face-value) but it seems like they're only really invested in Daredevil right now.