Page 363 of 773 FirstFirst ... 263313353359360361362363364365366367373413463 ... LastLast
Results 5,431 to 5,445 of 11592

Spoilers for Hawkeye episode 1:

spoilers:
    I really don't know how I feel about changing Kate's motivation to learn self-defense and archery from her experience as a survivor to generic "I have a dead parent."

I understand Marvel Studios not wanting to go there, especially if they can't go there with care but at least come up with something other than the most generic superhero motivation in the books.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    Disney was likely never gonna go there. I find it intriguing that her mom's fiance is Swordsman. So twisty.
    end of spoilers
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post

spoilers:
    I really don't know how I feel about changing Kate's motivation to learn self-defense and archery from her experience as a survivor to generic "I have a dead parent."

I understand Marvel Studios not wanting to go there, especially if they can't go there with care but at least come up with something other than the most generic superhero motivation in the books.
    end of spoilers
    They really did that?

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    Bank robberies aren't nearly as common from what I've heard. In fact I've that kind of violence has generally decreased.
    Tell that to Chicago, Washington DC, San Fran....

If you take a macro-view of history, then yes there is less crime, less disease, less hunger, less war, etc., today than there was a century ago, or five, or ten. But there is still *plenty* of crime. Last few years have seen a radical increase, as a matter of fact.

Bank robberies specifically, not so much. Still happens, but if you're gonna rob a bank you do it digitally now, more often than not. No, instead it's just looting, B&E, etc. Still violent theft, but without the hassle of a big hard-to-crack vault. But it's a damn rare sight these days to see a supervillain rob a bank too. At least, I almost never see it.

And I didn't say I had a problem with superheroes. I said I've recently had these thoughts about street level vigilantes, because the whole 'cities full of crime' attitude is also used to justify things like 'the thin blue line,' but even outside of the police, we've had incidences of people using extrajudicial violence to bad ends.
    I'm still not sure how you're building this bridge between superheroes and cops.

Anyway, first episode of Hawkeye was fantastic. Saving the second for tomorrow. Basic buildup with lots of "first episode" boxes to check, but it was tightly made, well executed, and enjoyable. Renner does a good job balancing Clint's character against his history, giving quiet, understated breath to the pain he's endured and highlighting his love for his family. Hailey (spelling?) is brilliant casting and every scene with her is somehow brighter and more alive than the ones without. The tracksuits are great; not as overdone as Fraction's comic but still ridiculous. Pizza dog is.....a one-eyed dog eating pizza. Which is cute enough to justify itself many times over.

As for that bit y'all are discussing in the spoiler tags.....it is what it is. The original version isn't something I think Marvel would pull off well, honestly. I've seen that up close, and nobody in media ever gets it right. This is better. Generic and cliche, yes, but well executed for what it is and a better option than clouding the narrative with something they'll screw up and shortly forget anyway.

And I am more convinced than ever that Marvel *needs* to release Rogers the Musical.
    Last edited by Ascended; 11-24-2021 at 07:19 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member

My point is the reasoning that justifies vigilantism also justifies police brutality, in a sense. All I'm saying is street crime isn't necessarily like how comics portray

So far, Hawkeye's doing a better job of showing a world changed by superheroes better than the Netflix shows did. Probably helps that the main character is an Avenger.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    So far, Hawkeye's doing a better job of showing a world changed by superheroes better than the Netflix shows did. Probably helps that the main character is an Avenger.
    It helps that they have the budget and freedom to depict the Battle of New York and characters instead of just alluding to them.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post

spoilers:

end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Is it really “I have a dead parent” though? To me it seemed something closer to “I just witnessed Aliens attack NY and never want to feel this powerless again” Like, sure, her dad dying played a part but I feel like it wasn’t the primary reason.

end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    spoilers:
    Is it really “I have a dead parent” though? To me it seemed something closer to “I just witnessed Aliens attack NY and never want to feel this powerless again” Like, sure, her dad dying played a part but I feel like it wasn’t the primary reason.

end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I think it was a mix of that and wanting to find the power to protect her family so she doesn't lose her mom like she lost her dad.
    end of spoilers

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    Good points. D-listers in the comics have definitely become A-listers on screen. That's why I actually like the movies/shows more than the comic books a lot of the time. I never thought we'd be getting a Moon Knight show either. I don't even really know who Jessica Jones is, and she's pretty popular too. I like how Feige wants to focus more attention on Avengers/characters we've already seen. That's why I'm looking forward to She-Hulk, Armor Wars and Secret Invasion the most (after Hawkeye). I'm glad Marvel Studios are delaying the introduction of the Fantastic Four and the X-Men. They've already had a lot of exposure in the public eye.
    It seem to have flown too much under the radar but the...a Fantastic Four movie has been officially announced by Marvel Studios with a director. I also think we will likely get an xmen film in late 2023 or early 2024 and not 2025-2026 because marvel is going to do as much as they can to fade out Eternals and some of the issues they have had on phase 4. the only best way to do is get an xmen movie on the way ASAP.

They have already started laying the grounds by announcing X-MEN 97 and usually marvel-disney never has an IP cartoon running when the IP movie is not in pre-production

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It helps that they have the budget and freedom to depict the Battle of New York and characters instead of just alluding to them.
    You don't need millions of dollars to depict things like posters for Broadway show, people writing 'Thanos Is Right' on walls, kids with hair braided like Natasha's or buildings named after important figures like 'Stane Tower'.

Astonishing Member

You don't need millions of dollars to depict things like posters for Broadway show, people writing 'Thanos Is Right' on walls, kids with hair braided like Natasha's or buildings named after important figures like 'Stane Tower'.

There had to be some deal between Marvel and those Netflix shows on what exactly they could say or do regarding the MCU. It was all very odd.

Yeah, but again it didn't seem like the Netflix shows had the license to be that overt with the connection. That and it was all the more palpable that we got to see the Battle of New York from Kate's POV and it actually looked like it did.

I've been rewatching the MCU recently and I have to say that Iron Man 3 is one of my favorite movies so far. I guess I didn't really feel it when I first watched it (I was like 17 back then) but seeing it with fresh eyes has changed my total perception of it. Easily the most political Marvel movie (shocking based on how often MCU movies avoid those topics) and the Mandarin twist is frankly genius in how it recontextualizes the threat from Yellow Peril to modern terror and displays it as ultimately an effect and element of the military industrial complex. Straight up masterful. Shane Black having freedom to do whatever tf he wanted made something really special

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    I've been rewatching the MCU recently and I have to say that Iron Man 3 is one of my favorite movies so far. I guess I didn't really feel it when I first watched it (I was like 17 back then) but seeing it with fresh eyes has changed my total perception of it. Easily the most political Marvel movie (shocking based on how often MCU movies avoid those topics) and the Mandarin twist is frankly genius in how it recontextualizes the threat from Yellow Peril to modern terror and displays it as ultimately an effect and element of the military industrial complex. Straight up masterful. Shane Black having freedom to do whatever tf he wanted made something really special
    I think IM3 would've been better if they'd dropped the Mandarin twist and done something more true to AIM than what we actually got, and used Maya Hansen better.