Page 517 of 761 FirstFirst ... 17417467507513514515516517518519520521527567617 ... LastLast
Results 7,741 to 7,755 of 11410

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    I have a hard time grasping the narrative the Thor 4 is a box office disappointment when its going to pass Thor 3 in domestic box office this weekend.
    Definitely a critical disappointment, though I'm not sure how much Marvel Studios cares about that.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    One camp will cite the lack of China and Russia box office as the reason why it is underperforming while the other will use MoM to make the case that it performed better than Doctor Strange so should Love and Thunder when compared to Ragnarok. It's open to interpretation.

I think its amazing what Doctor Strange did without China. 950 million is super impressive. Thats like 300 million more than the first one and that one was released in China. What Thor 4 has done is also very good. Its going to pass Thor 3 which made 315 million domestic. But Thor 3 made like 140 million dollars in China and Russia alone. Personally what Doctor Strange managed without China and Russia is remarkable. Thor 4 is just doing well. People are just so used what these movies do its like why are they not all making a billion now. I have said it many times.

7 marvel movies have made a billion without China

4 avengers movies
    Black Panther
    No Way home
    Iron Man 3

Extraordinary Member

Here is something i found and just read online about marvel/disney and china recently.
    Thor: Love and Thunder is the sixth MCU film in a row shut out of China

Thor: Love and Thunder is the latest Marvel Studios joint not to premiere in China, according to The Hollywood Reporter. In this case, Chinese censors haven’t approved the LGBT+ content. That’s similar to the reason they gave for not releasing Lightyear in the region. That’s in line with China’s general media policy against all things gay; last year, China’s National Radio and Television Administration told TV broadcasters to “resolutely put an end to sissy men and other abnormal aesthetics.” Super.

That said, it seems like China has a bone to pick with Disney and Marvel in particular. While superhero films like The Batman have released in China, the Chinese Communist Party hasn’t let a Marvel movie through since Avengers: Endgame, which made over $600 million in Chinese theaters, so it’s not like there isn’t an audience for this stuff in the region.

China started the Marvel blockade with Black Widow. We don’t know exactly why, but it might have something to do with that film not depicting Communism in the best light. Marvel followed up that movie with Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings and Eternals; in the first case, star Simu Liu made comments critical of China. In the second case, director Chloé Zhao did. That’s enough for the CCP to blackball a movie studio.

China’s long history of banning movies because it feels like it

According to USC professor and China expert Stanley Rosen, that’s par for the course for the CCP. For instance, in 1997, MGM released a Richard Gere movie called Red Corner that featured corruption in the Chinese government as part of its plot. Rather than just ban the movie, China banned everything from MGM. “If they could do that in 1997, they can certainly do that today as they’re a lot better off,” Rosen told Deadline. “You do one film that China doesn’t like, and none of your films are shown in China.”

And China’s excuses for keeping Marvel movies out have gotten pretty flimsy. For instance, per Insider, they justified blocking Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness because a newspaper kiosk in the background of one scene had a copy of the The Epoch Times, a paper critical of China. For Spider-Man: No Way Home, the CCP wanted to studio to remove the Statue of Liberty, which…what? The whole climax takes place there.

Basically, the authoritarians who run China are mad at Marvel and will find reasons to block their movies no matter what…until they don’t; it’s hard to tell when they might start or stop anything. Marvel hasn’t been feeling too much pain over it; Thor: Love and Thunder had a smashing opening weekend and No Way Home became one of the highest-grossing movies in history. Given this volatility, Hollywood studios just aren’t counting on Chinese box office at all. “[A]nything from China is upside,” a source told Deadline. “You plan for nothing, and if you get it, good.”

https://winteriscoming.net/2022/07/1...hut-out-china/

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    I think its amazing what Doctor Strange did without China. 950 million is super impressive. Thats like 300 million more than the first one and that one was released in China. What Thor 4 has done is also very good. Its going to pass Thor 3 which made 315 million domestic. But Thor 3 made like 140 million dollars in China and Russia alone. Personally what Doctor Strange managed without China and Russia is remarkable. Thor 4 is just doing well. People are just so used what these movies do its like why are they not all making a billion now. I have said it many times.

7 marvel movies have made a billion without China

4 avengers movies
    Black Panther
    No Way home
    Iron Man 3

I hope the goal is never to get a billion for each movie but at least perform better than the last movie in the same franchise. I can see the Avengers a billion will be a norm but I don't expect it from non-Avengers movies.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Extraordinary Member

China and the MCU's Long Complicated History
    The MCU has benefited greatly from China's box office, but with censorship issues and all Phase 4 movies denied release, what does the future hold?
    https://movieweb.com/chinese-censorship-in-the-mcu/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    The MCU has benefited greatly from China's box office, but with censorship issues and all Phase 4 movies denied release, what does the future hold?
    I think the only Marvel movie that didn't do better than the previous one domestically is Avengers Age of Ultron. Which is incredible if you think about it. There is a ceiling here somewhere.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post

Personally I don't think it will be long before all Hollywood movies are banned from China. And Hollywood knows this. They will just adjust.

Niffleheim

China Gross

The Avengers $80,563,081
    Age of Ultron $240,110,000
    Infinity War $359,543,153
    Endgame $629,100,298

To be honest if I was the leader of China I would ban Marvel movies from my country too. With each passing Avengers movie the franchise was becoming even more popular I wonder what the kind of effect it had culturally? lol!
    Last edited by Tofali; 08-06-2022 at 11:27 AM.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Extraordinary Member

Wink

Marvel Studios CONFIRMS Not all Series & Films will Connect to Bigger Events
    Last edited by mace11; 08-06-2022 at 10:37 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Kevin Feige Admits Marvel ‘Didn’t Lay out All of’ Phase 4 of the MCU
    Following Marvel’s San Diego Comic-Con panel headlined by Kevin Feige, fans finally have an idea of where the Marvel Cinematic Universe is heading following the conclusion of the Infinity Saga. Marvel is calling Phases 4, 5, and 6 of the MCU the Multiverse Saga, and it’s all going to culminate in two new Avengers movies. But before SDCC, fans were unsure of the MCU’s direction, and according to Feige, Marvel didn’t thoroughly plan Phase 4.

Marvel Studios unveiled their plans for Phases 5, 6, and 7 of the MCU

After the MCU wraps up Phase 4, they’ll jump right into Phase 5. And not only did Kevin Feige share Marvel’s plans for Phase 5 at SDCC, but he also revealed what they have in store for Phase 6.

The Phase 5 schedule is:

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania — Feb. 17, 2023

What If…? — Spring 2023

Secret Invasion — Spring 2023

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 — May 5, 2023

Echo — Summer 2023

Loki Season 2 — Summer 2023

The Marvels — July 28, 2023

Blade — Nov. 3, 2023

Ironheart — Fall 2023

Agatha: Coven of Chaos — Winter 2023/24

Untitled Marvel project — Feb. 16, 2024

Daredevil: Born Again — Spring 2024

Captain America: New World Order — May 3, 2024

Thunderbolts — July 26, 2024

The Phase 6 schedule is:

Fantastic Four — Nov. 8, 2024

Untitled Marvel project — Feb. 14, 2025

Avengers: The Kang Dynasty — May 2, 2025

Untitled Marvel project — July 25, 2025

Avengers: Secret Wars — Nov. 7, 2025

Marvel also shared that they’ve started planning MCU: Phase 7, which seems like a far-away dream given that we’re still in Phase 4. There are four dates for Untitled Marvel projects in 2026: Feb. 13, May 1, July 24, and Nov. 6.

Here's Phase 5 of the MCU

Kevin Feige shared the thought process behind MCU: Phase 4

During an interview with ComicBook.com after Marvel’s SDCC panel, Kevin Feige discussed what Marvel learned from planning MCU: Phase 4.

“I think we learn something on every project we do,” the Marvel Studios president explained. “But as we were laying out, even three years ago here laying out Phase 4, which we didn’t lay out all of, but most of, we realized that it’s very different than Phase 1, 2, and 3, that that there are more projects in less years. And therefore, it didn’t seem right. You’re not going to culminate every 10 months in an Avengers movie.”

Feige continued, “And each of the films themselves now have become quite big and are crossover events in many ways. And after, you know, the creative experience we had with Infinity War and Endgame, it felt like it was about capping a saga, saving back-to-back Avengers films for the completion of a saga, and that’s really what we wanted to lay out today.”

As for the importance of the post-credits scenes of MCU: Phase 4, Feige said, “Well, I think the truth is all of the tags are never just about the future. There are tags that are eating shawarma. Captain America saying, ‘You got to learn patience. Sometimes you wait for something not worth it.’ We don’t want everything to feel the same. So some of the tags will connect, some of them won’t. Some of the films and shows will connect; some of them won’t.”

He added, “I think it’s just as important that we can have standalone introductory stories like Ms. Marvel, like Moon Knight, in addition to things that interconnect and build towards the larger story.”

“A lot of what we’ve been doing has been building to the larger story,” Feige revealed. “Obviously, with The Kang Dynasty and the Multiverse Saga and now I think people will, I hope, come along for the ride both where it’s on an express train to the finale and also when it’s as fun as many of our Phase 1, 2, and 3 films were.”

What projects are left in MCU: Phase 4?

There are only three projects left in MCU: Phase 4 — one movie and three Disney+ series.

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever premieres in theaters on Nov. 11, and the highly anticipated sequel will focus on the Wakandans reeling from King T’Challa’s death. And based on the trailer, someone will take on the mantle of the Black Panther. But Marvel has yet to reveal their identity.

She-Hulk: Attorney at Law premieres on Aug. 17 on Disney+, and it will consist of nine episodes. The series will introduce fans to Jennifer Walters/She-Hulk, Bruce Banner’s cousin.

An Untitled Halloween special will air on Disney+ in October. Gael García Bernal and Laura Donnelly will star in the special, and many fans believe Bernal will play Werewolf by Night.

The Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special premieres in December. James Gunn directed the special, and the Guardians of the Galaxy cast, including Chris Pratt as Peter Quill/Star-Lord, Zoe Saldana as Gamora, Dave Bautista as Drax the Destroyer, Vin Diesel as Groot, Bradley Cooper as Rocket, Karen Gillan as Nebula, and Pom Klementieff as Mantis.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertain...se-4-mcu.html/

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    If they're keeping Cloe Zhao then I doubt they'll make very many adjustments.

But I'll wait for the official announcement before I believe anything. I could just as easily see Marvel sliding the Eternals into other films and not doing a sequel at all, or doing a sequel with someone else behind the director's chair.
    If she is in the directors chair, that means the franchise is her 'baby' as much as GotG is Gunn's and the last two Thor movies have been Taika Waititi's

If there is a sequel I think she will still be involved but Marvel will probably be more hands on to make it stand out. Like they might want more action or cosmic drama in the sequel, maybe more humor.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

One camp will cite the lack of China and Russia box office as the reason why it is underperforming while the other will use MoM to make the case that MoM performed better than Doctor Strange and so should Love and Thunder when compared to Ragnarok. It's open to interpretation.
    MoM had Wanda Vision, Loki and NWH that built up momentum for it. Thor's last appearance was in EG and there was no hype behind his next solo setting up the next big saga or anything.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

It seems like the go-to fix for Marvel Studios is to just inject more humor and action, although I wouldn't really want to see that.

It seems like audiences are starting to get tired of the constant quips.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    MoM had Wanda Vision, Loki and NWH that built up momentum for it. Thor's last appearance was in EG and there was no hype behind his next solo setting up the next big saga or anything.
    Thor had Ragnarok and Endgame, those were two back to back movies 2-3 years ago that showcased the character very well and should have increased the anticipation for ppl to watch Love and Thunder. Maybe it was the inclusion of Hulk in Ragnarok that made the difference like Wanda did for MoM and Jane Foster didn't do for Love and Thunder. We'll never know what exactly contributes to a movie over or underperforming.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It seems like the go-to fix for Marvel Studios is to just inject more humor and action, although I wouldn't really want to see that.

It seems like audiences are starting to get tired of the constant quips.
    I just need Marvel Studio to stop giving these auteur directors free reign lol

Extraordinary Member

Thor had Ragnarok and Endgame, those were two back to back movies 2-3 years ago that showcased the character very well and should have increased the anticipation for ppl to watch Love and Thunder. Maybe it was the inclusion of Hulk in Ragnarok that made the difference like Wanda did for MoM and Jane Foster didn't do for Love and Thunder. We'll never know what exactly contributes to a movie over or underperforming.
    There's also the possibility that Love and Thunder did less well because Multiverse of Madness was so divisive.

Of course that's more what I would like to be true, nothing I can prove, but it is true that Multiverse of Madness had so much advance anticipation that it seemed on track to make a billion even without China and Russia, but word of mouth was not great and its theatrical run ran out of steam very quickly.

At the very least it didn't provide the hype for the next movie the way No Way Home got people looking forward to seeing the multiverse story continued in Multiverse of Madness (only to find it had little to do with the multiverse and the cameos were just there for a joke).

Wakanda Forever might do better because it has built-in hype and interest, though it'll have to be really good to avoid another big second week drop.