Page 523 of 773 FirstFirst ... 23423473513519520521522523524525526527533573623 ... LastLast
Results 7,831 to 7,845 of 11585
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    I wouldn't consider Thor 4 to be a "flop" or "bomb". Same thing with Strange 2. But Disney's movies are getting banned by more and more countries. Many of them seem to have problems with the stuff Disney is showing, but at the same time CHILD MARRIAGE is absolutely LEGAL in many of those same countries. So I wonder what's going on there!

What I'm trying to say is that maybe Marvel Studios have to cut their budgets a bit, make "accommodations" to have their movies shown in different countries, and extend the period of theater exclusivity for their films if they wanna make more money.
    Because if future Marvel movies are received like Strange 2 and Thor 4 were, I have no confidence that they will make $800 million worldwide. Disney/Marvel movies don't all have to make a billion dollars to be "successes", but if they cost $350 million to $400 million to produce and market, I think it's reasonable to expect that they have to make at least $800 million to make those investments worthwhile.
    Or you film in your OWN country. We have 50 states-somewhere these films can be made and not go overbudget.

Because some of those countries have ISSUE with who is some of those casts. Especially those of LGBTQA+ community or certain skin tones.

I mean if you are going to introduce Young Avengers with the OG team-you already KNOW you are going have issues.
    Same with X-Men of you use certain ones.

So it comes down to which audience do you serve? Or do you write off those countries?

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Seems like it would depend on what the show is trying to do.

The comic storyline leaned on the idea that these familiar, well known characters had been Skrull spies for years. That doesn't work if you introduce a new character within the story. Introduce Drew and in the same show make audiences ask "Who's the secret Skrull queen?" and they'll answer "Obviously it's this brand new hero they just introduced."

Not much sense of betrayal or surprise in that. It doesn't fit with the original themes of the tale at all.

If Drew had been around for a few years, that'd be different. But introduce her in Secret Invasion and it's not an established, respected hero suddenly revealing themselves as a villain, it's just Mysterio all over again; a villain briefly pretending to be a hero while the audience is already in on the gag that they're really the bad guy. Even if they say that Drew has been an active hero for years, it won't matter because we'll just be meeting her now.

If the show doesn't care about that hook then sure they could introduce Drew in Secret Invasion and make her the Skrull queen. Nothing wrong with that. But they can't do that if they still want that sense of paranoia and mistrust. If they want audiences wondering if the Skrulls have been pulling strings and spying from the start, they need to use someone who's been around since the start (or close to it).
    Not say she has to be a Skrull. She can just be special agent Jessica Drew and in the MCU fighting Skrulls is how she would rise to prominence.

Hmmm, they could also do some recasts via Skrulls. What if Elektra, Danny Rand and several members of the Hand were also Skrulls all along? Elektra could have been replaced by the Hand after her college years with Matt.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Extraordinary Member

Ms marvel is in top ten for original shows with episode 6 and made it to number 7.
    Streaming – Persons 2+ Total Minutes Viewed – Week of July 11-17, 2022
    https://www.nielsen.com/top-ten/
    Last edited by mace11; 08-14-2022 at 08:11 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Marvel Studios Explains Why Phase 4 Projects Are all over the Place

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Not say she has to be a Skrull. She can just be special agent Jessica Drew and in the MCU fighting Skrulls is how she would rise to prominence.

Hmmm, they could also do some recasts via Skrulls. What if Elektra, Danny Rand and several members of the Hand were also Skrulls all along? Elektra could have been replaced by the Hand after her college years with Matt.
    Ehh we might not get all that. I suspect one or two major characters with the rest being minor ones.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Or you film in your OWN country. We have 50 states-somewhere these films can be made and not go overbudget.

Because some of those countries have ISSUE with who is some of those casts. Especially those of LGBTQA+ community or certain skin tones.

I mean if you are going to introduce Young Avengers with the OG team-you already KNOW you are going have issues.
    Same with X-Men of you use certain ones.

So it comes down to which audience do you serve? Or do you write off those countries?
    Good questions. I personally was VERY entertained by Ms. Marvel (despite not knowing ANYTHING about her character) particularly because they explored South Asian traditions and culture in a way I had never seen in an American superhero property before. I was really engaged when the characters spoke in Arabic and Urdu. And the Pakistan episode was FANTASTIC. I know that one was actually shot in Thailand, but to see rickshaws and old trains like that was so cool to me. If Ms. Marvel stayed in New Jersey the entire series, it would have lost a little bit of its charm. You can only make so many Bon Jovi jokes. I also thought it was a great move for Disney/Marvel to shoot Strange 1 partly in Nepal too. Gave that film an eastern mystical vibe that was totally absent in its sequel. So I do think it's important for CERTAIN Marvel movies and shows to be shot OUTSIDE of the US (and other English-speaking countries). I haven't seen Thor 4, but I just get this feeling it wasn't necessary to shoot that one in Australia (though I'm happy Disney is helping out the Australian film industry).

I enjoyed Ms. Marvel for the same reason I liked Shang-Chi. The characters were funny, charming and relatable. And it was actually pretty funny too and light-hearted in tone overall. Whereas I enjoyed and liked Black Widow, Falcon & The Winter Soldier, Loki, Hawkeye, the Eternals, Moon Knight and Strange 2 less because I thought some of the characters were pretty bland and downright obnoxious in those properties.

I don't know what Disney/Marvel has to do to make their movies more profitable. I don't think any other Hollywood studios have movie budgets as big as Disney's. So the Marvel movies HAVE to make, in MY opinion, over $800 million worldwide for them to be worth their considerable investments. Cutting budgets will be tough. I think Christian Bale probably made more $ than the entire main cast of Shang-Chi combined. Natalie Portman and Russell probably didn't come cheap either. I don't what Disney has to do to appease countries who object to certain content in their films. Maybe Marvel should start introducing CHILD MARRIAGE into their movies to get more approval for them there.

All kidding aside, I think Disney/Marvel CAN make movies that make more than $800 million worldwide, but I think they have to be better received by the public (in countries showing Marvel movies) than Strange 2 and Thor 4 were. Just from personal experience, I don't know ANYBODY who is truly looking forward to seeing Strange 3 and Thor 5 now. I think these were HUGELY important films for Marvel's Phase 4, and for some reason they have just been...Forgettable? I mean, folks are still buzzing and hyping Top Gun: Maverick and Everything Everywhere All at Once NOW. I think general audiences largely stopped giving two shits about Strange 2 and Thor 4 ten days after each of them came out. Now, if the fifteen countries that banned those two films allowed them to be released into their theaters, Strange 2 would have made more than a $1 billion and Thor 4 would have grossed over $850 million quite easily. But I don't think audiences in those countries would have enjoyed them MORE than the rest of the countries that DID see them. Now if Disney/Marvel made LESS films and spread them out MORE, hype and anticipation alone might bring bigger crowds in (I also think they would be less rushed, overstuffed and crowded as well). I'm curious to see how Black Panther 2 is received.

Extraordinary Member

I enjoyed Ms. Marvel for the same reason I liked Shang-Chi. The characters were funny, charming and relatable. And it was actually pretty funny too and light-hearted in tone overall.
    She-Hulk Viral Marketing is Genius So it Upsets People

Mighty Member

Some people being up in arms about a lighter side to Matt Murdock in She-Hulk....their memories are short sighted if they're bothered by it. Just because they show a lighter side doesn't take away from the darkness. Me, personally I'm not bothered by it. It adds layers to the character. And he's shown lightheartedness in the comics as well. And, the first episode of DD Netflix, Karen asks how long they've been lawyers and Matt asks Foggy for the time and he says about 7 hours. Then there's the scene in No Way Home(How'd you do that? I'm a good lawyer). Even the second episode of season 1, there's that little moment with Claire where she tells Matt his costume sucks while she's dressing his wounds. Shoot even in Jessica Jones there were a few moments where I burst out laughing.

Extraordinary Member

Here is some interesting talk about the mcu vs dceu.
    This will be posted in dceu thread as well.

The Single Reason Why The MCU Is More Successful Than The DCEU
    Last edited by mace11; 08-16-2022 at 12:32 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    Some people being up in arms about a lighter side to Matt Murdock in She-Hulk....their memories are short sighted if they're bothered by it. Just because they show a lighter side doesn't take away from the darkness. Me, personally I'm not bothered by it. It adds layers to the character. And he's shown lightheartedness in the comics as well. And, the first episode of DD Netflix, Karen asks how long they've been lawyers and Matt asks Foggy for the time and he says about 7 hours. Then there's the scene in No Way Home(How'd you do that? I'm a good lawyer). Even the second episode of season 1, there's that little moment with Claire where she tells Matt his costume sucks while she's dressing his wounds. Shoot even in Jessica Jones there were a few moments where I burst out laughing.
    Here is some talk about below.
    Expect A Much Lighter Toned Daredevil Says She-Hulk Writer

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    She-Hulk Viral Marketing is Genius So it Upsets People
    I'm actually really looking forward to She-Hulk. It's the first Disney Plus show I will be watching during its weekly releases since Hawkeye (I waited for the other Marvel and Star Wars stuff this year). I'm intrigued with the whole legal drama/comedy aspect of it. And I REALLY want Marvel to "fix" Banner. Plus, I am a big fan of She-Hulk from the comic books. I think it's great that Marvel Studios is trying to do stuff that will appeal to audiences who might not be superhero genre fans. I've had my problems with Phase Four, but I'm hoping that people will really LOVE an MCU property in 2022.

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    I don't really understand why folks think legal dramas have to be super serious all the time. The Law & Order franchise dealt with a lot of disturbing and unsettling subject matter, and it had PLENTY of quips in it (I don't see anybody complaining that L&O should be "darker").

Extraordinary Member

I'm actually really looking forward to She-Hulk. It's the first Disney Plus show I will be watching during its weekly releases since Hawkeye (I waited for the other Marvel and Star Wars stuff this year). I'm intrigued with the whole legal drama/comedy aspect of it. And I REALLY want Marvel to "fix" Banner. Plus, I am a big fan of She-Hulk from the comic books. I think it's great that Marvel Studios is trying to do stuff that will appeal to audiences who might not be superhero genre fans. I've had my problems with Phase Four, but I'm hoping that people will really LOVE an MCU property in 2022.
    Well moon knight and ms marvel are really loved if you go by critic and audience RT scores but we don't have cinemascores for streaming shows.
    Doctor strange has really high rt audience scores in the 80's but cinemascore is a B+,SO overall it was loved enough i guess by the audience.

Here is a new recent mcu property.
    RT SCORES for I AM GROOT

I AM GROOT 87% Avg rating 7.70/10
    AUDIENCE SCORE 76% Avg rating 3.9
    Last edited by mace11; 08-16-2022 at 12:31 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    This will be posted in the dceu thread as well.
    EDITED above.
    Wrong link for the dceu vs mcu.
    Right link above or here.
    This will be posted in dceu thread as well.

The Single Reason Why The MCU Is More Successful Than The DCEU
    Last edited by mace11; 08-16-2022 at 12:39 PM.

I think She-Hulk will reach the top the Nielsen streaming chart and not just make the top ten. I feel hyped for this.