Page 580 of 775 FirstFirst ... 80480530570576577578579580581582583584590630680 ... LastLast
Results 8,686 to 8,700 of 11620

Quote Originally Posted by The Invincible Beawulf View Post
    The GotG Christmas special was so much fun!

Rocket getting Bucky's robotic arm as a present?!
    And he looked so happy!

Really cute special, the family and I enjoyed it. Good to get some screen time for Mantis, and nice to finally see her being a badass.

Oh, as for Namor, I believe the issues with Universal (or whoever?) are over and Marvel has complete control over the character again. Could be wrong though.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I am not surprised that I loved the GOTG Special...Gunn made it. It was better than I thought.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    What exactly are the rights issues with Universal/Marvel over Namor? I'm guessing we're due for just using him as a side character from now on like Hulk? I'm a little surprised at this, cause my understanding would be rights would revert back after not making a movie after X amount of years
    Your understanding would be correct for Sony. The Universal rights (Hulk/Namor) were different because they were not about production, but distribution. Marvel is the only one who can produce a Namor/Hulk film, but Universal is the only one who can distribute it. Marvel Studios was willing to keep that deal up in the first year of the MCU, which is how we got the single Hulk film from that universe, but it seems like everything changed after Disney bought them. As we know, the Hulk solo franchise just went to limbo ever since. Namor is on a similar boat, according to a recent interview with Nate Moore.

Someone on Reddit recently found evidence regarding the Marvel/Universal deal from 2006 that suggests it expires next year, but this hasn't been confirmed yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    And he looked so happy!

Really cute special, the family and I enjoyed it. Good to get some screen time for Mantis, and nice to finally see her being a badass.

Oh, as for Namor, I believe the issues with Universal (or whoever?) are over and Marvel has complete control over the character again. Could be wrong though.
    I'd been waiting for them to show her fight since her first movie appearance. Only I wish they had her fight people who actually deserved it...

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Your understanding would be correct for Sony. The Universal rights (Hulk/Namor) were different because they were not about production, but distribution. Marvel is the only one who can produce a Namor/Hulk film, but Universal is the only one who can distribute it. Marvel Studios was willing to keep that deal up in the first year of the MCU, which is how we got the single Hulk film from that universe, but it seems like everything changed after Disney bought them. As we know, the Hulk solo franchise just went to limbo ever since. Namor is on a similar boat, according to a recent interview with Nate Moore.

Someone on Reddit recently found evidence regarding the Marvel/Universal deal from 2006 that suggests it expires next year, but this hasn't been confirmed yet.
    Wow, that'd be great if they revert back next year. Then the only issue would be Sony. But Sony/Marvel in recent years have proven they can play nice with each other. Hope they can keep that up.

I knew about the Hulk stuff, but Namor surprises me. I mean he's never been in a movie until Wakanda Forever. I wonder how Universal even got him. Is there like a Namor ride at Universal park or something? That one seemed "fishy" to me considering Namor wasn't that big of a name to casuals outside the comicbook fanbase before the WF movie. It's too bad, I would like to see a Namor project and of course Hulk is long overdue for something too.

Extraordinary Member

The GOTG Xmas Special was really good. I loved every single moment of it.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

I'm kind of glad the MCU take on Mantis has become so out of the box that it makes it harder to completely synergize her in the future.

I'm still pretty done with dumb Drax though.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ComicNoobie View Post
    I knew about the Hulk stuff, but Namor surprises me. I mean he's never been in a movie until Wakanda Forever. I wonder how Universal even got him. Is there like a Namor ride at Universal park or something? That one seemed "fishy" to me considering Namor wasn't that big of a name to casuals outside the comicbook fanbase before the WF movie. It's too bad, I would like to see a Namor project and of course Hulk is long overdue for something too.
    I think the Namor thing has been going on for as long as the other rights. There were a bunch of characters whose cinematic rights ended up with other studios, but there wasn't enough interest in them so Marvel just took the rights back. That's what happened to Iron Man, Thor, Black Widow, etc.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm kind of glad the MCU take on Mantis has become so out of the box that it makes it harder to completely synergize her in the future.

I'm still pretty done with dumb Drax though.
    Agreed. I didn't like him in the comics, after he bulked up and 'got dumb,' and I don't really like him in the movies. He's not just 'dumb,' he's kind of a mean thoughtless jerk, and that's cute from Rocket, who's a CGI funny animal, but not from someone who's more of an actual person.

Lean flying energy-projecting Drax was far superior, back in the day.

Almost all of the Guardians were radically changed from their original characterizations, in the comics, and I feel like Groot has hugely benefitted from the upgrade from 'monster of the week' to actual character, but Drax, not so much.

As for the special, I care not at all for Cosmo's gender, but she doesn't sound nearly Russian enough to me.

Extraordinary Member

Marvel Gender Swaps MCU Character & The Internet has a Meltdown

Extraordinary Member

I've tried every iteration of the GOTG in the comics and (unfortunately) none of them have every done anything for me. I'm really grateful for the MCU version.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I've tried every iteration of the GOTG in the comics and (unfortunately) none of them have every done anything for me. I'm really grateful for the MCU version.
    I like the MCU Guardians for what they are but I prefer the more serious and effective team in the comics. But I'm usually not in the camp that the best way to adapt something is make it more comedic.

Or you could always just meld the two like most other adaptions have done. I think the games and cartoons handled Gamora, Drax, and even Mantis a little bit better than the movies did.

Granted Rocket and Groot are probably the most consistent across the board for one reason or another.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    As for the special, I care not at all for Cosmo's gender, but she doesn't sound nearly Russian enough to me.
    Cosmo would sound more like a brawn hilda if she were female in my opinion.

While on the topic of the GOTG I have always wondered was Groot's vocabulary always "I am Groot" in the comics before the movies? I only ask because before the MCU these were super obscure characters. I don't even know where to find their first appearances as they aren't the original Guardians.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ComicNoobie View Post
    While on the topic of the GOTG I have always wondered was Groot's vocabulary always "I am Groot" in the comics before the movies? I only ask because before the MCU these were super obscure characters. I don't even know where to find their first appearances as they aren't the original Guardians.
    Here's Brian Cronin's article on that question. TL, DR, having him just say "I Am Groot" is something Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning came up with for their version of the Guardians. Their run is the one the movie version is largely based on.