Page 622 of 775 FirstFirst ... 122522572612618619620621622623624625626632672722 ... LastLast
Results 9,316 to 9,330 of 11621

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Maybe it's because I don't have the experience with RDJ that others too but starting from IM1 -> Endgame I can more or less feel the same character more than I do Thor post-Ragnarok. Because even MCU Thor feels like very different characters depending on the movie or even within different scenes in the same movie.
    I mean that has been confirmed by Hemsworth himself.

https://winteriscoming.net/2022/06/1...-2-dark-world/

“I wasn’t stoked with what I’d done in Thor 2,” the actor told Vanity Fair. “I was a little disappointed in what I’d done. I didn’t think I grew the character in any way, I didn’t think I showed an audience something unexpected and different.”

"And then when Ragnarok came along, out of my own frustration of what I had done, and this is not on any other director or anyone, this was my own performance. I really wanted to break the mold. And I said this to Taika and I think the conversation we had was, I said ‘I’m really bored of Thor.’ And he said, ‘Yeah I’m really bored of Thor, too.’ And then we decided not to be bored and any time that feeling came into play, we’d go in a different direction."
    "This is me being reasonable"

Ultimate Member

Maybe it's because I don't have the experience with RDJ that others too but starting from IM1 -> Endgame I can more or less feel the same character more than I do Thor post-Ragnarok. Because even MCU Thor feels like very different characters depending on the movie or even within different scenes in the same movie.
    I can't really be objective since I am a huge fan of 616 Thor, and MCU Thor has been a super disappointment with 'funny' stuff like Thor getting tasered, repeatedly, or run over by Jane's van, or otherwise made to be the butt of a joke. (Really, he only felt like comic Thor to me in the Avengers movies. Only there did I get the feeling that he was a centuries old warrior god, and not some gleepy frat-bro. I'm even saltier that James Aaron has leaned into MCU Thor as the new drunken egotistical buffoon direction for comic book Thor.)

I was not a huge fan of comic-book Iron Man, and pleasantly surprised by how great Iron Man was, in large part because of RDJrs. take on the character, and totally have enjoyed some of the MCU 'Tony Snark' persona bleeding over onto the page. (While accepting that fans of comic-book Tony are probably just as dismayed by this as I was by MCU Thor's incompetent doofus replacing 'my' Thor!)

As a result, I tend to be pleasantly surprised by cinematic adaptations of Blade, Daredevil, Moon Knight or Shang-Chi, characters I never really got into in the comics, than characters who were long-time favorites, like the X-Men, Thor, Scarlet Witch or Dr. Strange, whom I am more likely to find fault with. And I imagine that's the same for lots of folk. I'm sure Hemsworth has plenty of fans who didn't know that Thor wasn't a funny dork or a drunken lout in the comics, and find his antics amusing.

OTOH, Hemsworth really seems to lean into the sort of comedic stuff that's been central to Thor's 3 and 4, and, IMO, floundered a bit at more serious fare, so as long as he's Thor, might as well play to his acting strengths and continue with slapstick Thor. It's making Marvel money, and it's not like Marvel isn't putting out dozens of shows I *do* enjoy. They don't *all* have to be for me!
    Last edited by Sutekh; 03-15-2023 at 12:56 AM.

I think Hemsworth's best performance was Infinity War. We get some comedy out of him, but the emotion below the jokes is on full display. The conversation Thor and Rocket have when they're flying to Nidavellier was touching and full of gravitas.

Hemsworth can do a fine job at drama and the moments where he leans into that with Thor resonate really well I think. But as a comic Thor fan and a fan of Norse mythology, the MCU Thor has never really lived up to expectations. I've seen quotes from Hemsworth that seem like he's bored with the Waititi comedy approach, so if we get another Thor appearance maybe they'll switch things up again and we'll get a Thor more to our liking.

I guess Hemsworth said he's done acting (at least for a while?) so I dunno if that'll happen though.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post

“I wasn’t stoked with what I’d done in Thor 2,” the actor told Vanity Fair. “I was a little disappointed in what I’d done. I didn’t think I grew the character in any way, I didn’t think I showed an audience something unexpected and different.”

"And then when Ragnarok came along, out of my own frustration of what I had done, and this is not on any other director or anyone, this was my own performance. I really wanted to break the mold. And I said this to Taika and I think the conversation we had was, I said ‘I’m really bored of Thor.’ And he said, ‘Yeah I’m really bored of Thor, too.’ And then we decided not to be bored and any time that feeling came into play, we’d go in a different direction."
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I can't really be objective since I am a huge fan of 616 Thor, and MCU Thor has been a super disappointment with 'funny' stuff like Thor getting tasered, repeatedly, or run over by Jane's van, or otherwise made to be the butt of a joke. (Really, he only felt like comic Thor to me in the Avengers movies. Only there did I get the feeling that he was a centuries old warrior god, and not some gleepy frat-bro. I'm even saltier that James Aaron has leaned into MCU Thor as the new drunken egotistical buffoon direction for comic book Thor.)

I was not a huge fan of comic-book Iron Man, and pleasantly surprised by how great Iron Man was, in large part because of RDJrs. take on the character, and totally have enjoyed some of the MCU 'Tony Snark' persona bleeding over onto the page. (While accepting that fans of comic-book Tony are probably just as dismayed by this as I was by MCU Thor's incompetent doofus replacing 'my' Thor!)

As a result, I tend to be pleasantly surprised by cinematic adaptations of Blade, Daredevil, Moon Knight or Shang-Chi, characters I never really got into in the comics, than characters who were long-time favorites, like the X-Men, Thor, Scarlet Witch or Dr. Strange, whom I am more likely to find fault with. And I imagine that's the same for lots of folk. I'm sure Hemsworth has plenty of fans who didn't know that Thor wasn't a funny dork or a drunken lout in the comics, and find his antics amusing.

OTOH, Hemsworth really seems to lean into the sort of comedic stuff that's been central to Thor's 3 and 4, and, IMO, floundered a bit at more serious fare, so as long as he's Thor, might as well play to his acting strengths and continue with slapstick Thor. It's making Marvel money, and it's not like Marvel isn't putting out dozens of shows I *do* enjoy. They don't *all* have to be for me!
    It's not that I don't get it or why it works for Hemsworth/plays into his strengths, I just feel L&T went so far with it that became more of an issue, along with the movies' other problems.

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania budget seem to be originally between 180/190 millions dollars (after conversion) with a break tax of (around) 30/35 millions dollars, that put the budget in the 150/160 millions range, the 200 millions budget have never a direct source, for what I have seen it was more a guess, for AntMan and the Wasp it was already like that with different sources for the budget from 130 to...195 millions dollars:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...antumania.html

According this article (very aggressive), Marvel have confirmed these numbers.

In this case that wouldn't be a "flop" (an overstatement term, at worst that would have been a disappointment imo), but an average success like the the first Thor movie, not really good (less that the two previous movies worldwide), but clearly not bad specially in a world post-covid and with all the streaming stuff.

I'm happy because I really like Quantumania, probably one of my favorite comicbook movie, that probably the first time an adaptation feel really...like a comicbook (crazy idea, weird concept and characters, very colorful etc...)
    Last edited by Bolo; 03-15-2023 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolo View Post
    Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania budget seem to be originally between 180/190 millions dollars (after conversion) with a break tax of (around) 30/35 millions dollars, that put the budget in the 150/160 millions range, the 200 millions budget have never a direct source, for what I have seen it was more a guess, for AntMan and the Wasp it was already like that with different sources for the budget from 130 to...195 millions dollars:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...antumania.html

According this article (very aggressive), Marvel have confirmed these numbers.

In this case that wouldn't be a "flop" (an overstatement term, at worst that would have been a disappointment imo), but an average success like the the first Thor movie, not really good (less that the two previous movies worldwide), but clearly not bad specially in a world post-covid and with all the streaming stuff.

I'm happy because I really like Quantumania, probably one of my favorite comicbook movie, that probably the first time an adaptation feel really...like a comicbook (crazy idea, weird concept and characters, very colorful etc...)
    Marvel didn't want another rotten film with their next big bad in it this is still a massive disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    Marvel didn't want another rotten film with their next big bad in it this is still a massive disappointment.
    Yes sure Marvel don't want a rotten movie, but I don't think it's a "massive" disappointment for them, simply because Kang is very liked in this movie by the same critics.
    Last edited by Bolo; 03-17-2023 at 06:27 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post

And I can't necessarily blame him. Actors can really only put as much effort into a role as they are excited for it. Otherwise...well...you get Dark World.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post

That's kind of the thing I'm trying to get at. Movies and comics are two very different mediums with very different things to take into account. For comics, you don't have to take take into consideration a live human being portraying your character, with their own set of talents and strengths in addition to those of the writers and director(s). With a pen and paper, you can portray them pretty much any way you want.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

I've seen some people say that the return of the original X-Men cast is going to overshadow any potential 616 versions, who would just look like knock-offs.

I think there is definitely some precedence to that belief. For example: The prequel X-Men cast series were always living in shadow of their predecessors. Days of Future Past made as much money as it did due to the original cast's return.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    That's kind of the thing I'm trying to get at. Movies and comics are two very different mediums with very different things to take into account. For comics, you don't have to take take into consideration a live human being portraying your character, with their own set of talents and strengths in addition to those of the writers and director(s). With a pen and paper, you can portray them pretty much any way you want.
    But then that gets into what one should expect from an adaption that is, ostensibly, meant to convey what is on the page to the screen for a different audience.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Agent of Chaos View Post
    I've seen some people say that the return of the original X-Men cast is going to overshadow any potential 616 versions, who would just look like knock-offs.

I think there is definitely some precedence to that belief. For example: The prequel X-Men cast series were always living in shadow of their predecessors. Days of Future Past made as much money as it did due to the original cast's return.
    Depending on if Secret Wars/Deadpool 3 is a proper swan song for them, it might be more forgivable.

Extraordinary Member

But then that gets into what one should expect from an adaption that is, ostensibly, meant to convey what is on the page to the screen for a different audience.
    Sure. Which is why I generally feel it's wise for comic book fans to temper their expectations for live action adaptations since there are so many more cooks in the kitchen for lack of a better phrasing.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Niffleheim

Honestly MCU could adapt Hickman's version of the X-Men and the Old FoXmen could just be a universe where Xavier failed.

If they all die it will make things easier for the new cast.
    Last edited by Tofali; 03-17-2023 at 01:48 PM.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Depending on if Secret Wars/Deadpool 3 is a proper swan song for them, it might be more forgivable.
    Maybe. But that would also be like recasting Iron Man right after Endgame.

Maybe. But that would also be like recasting Iron Man right after Endgame.
    They might have the plot benefit of a cosmic reboot though!