Page 659 of 776 FirstFirst ... 159559609649655656657658659660661662663669709759 ... LastLast
Results 9,871 to 9,885 of 11640

They shouldn't be farming ideas from social media, period. They should only do that if it's an idea that lines up with their plans.

Like Matt Murdock in NWH. Sure, fans demanded it but given the situation MCU Spidey was in, it made sense for Matt to show up plus Matt and Spidey have a long established history in the comics and both Cox and D'Onofrio have been pushing for their characters to meet Spider-Man.

Everything that NWH got right, MoM got wrong. There is no reason for Patrick Stewart's Xavier or Krasinki's Reed to show up besides meaningless fan service. Plus, it was a waste of Patrick Stewart, Benedict Cumberbatch and Elizabeth Olsen's talents to have their characters all in the same room and not have any meaningful interaction between their characters.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by Dipter View Post
    I don’t care that the Illuminati were in the movie, I’m referring to the casting of John Krasinski as Reed. They did that to pander to a specific sliver of the online fandom that wanted it. The rest of the audience was just left confused or reactionless.
    Nothing wrong with some fanservice, when properly harnessed. It's a useful tool in the storytelling arsenal as long as you're careful with it. Hell Endgame was 95% fanservice and is one of Marvel's most successful movies ever.

With MoM and Krasinski, it was fine. A small segment of the internet got to see its fancasting, and for the rest of us it was just a semi-popular actor playing a variant of a semi-popular character. No big deal. I'm sure the Reed-Krasinski fans didn't like seeing him die in such a horrible way, but MoM was a horror subgenre movie where a lot of people died in horrible ways, so you can't expect anything different. And they're not a big enough group for their pleasure or displeasure to make a difference either way.

Oh, hey. Anyone think we'll ever see someone confront Kang over the Thanos thing? Strange looks at 14 million futures and only one leads to victory. That's the sacred timeline right there; the history that Kang wrote. But in MoM we see that Thanos could have been defeated in other ways that don't result in the Blip, Stark dying, etc. Is anyone ever gonna call Kang out on that? Ask him why it had to play out that way?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Nothing wrong with some fanservice, when properly harnessed. It's a useful tool in the storytelling arsenal as long as you're careful with it. Hell Endgame was 95% fanservice and is one of Marvel's most successful movies ever.
    Endgame earned the fan service over 20 films, MoM didn't they just threw it in for ticket sales.

In hindsight Endgame looks like MoM but watching the MCU from Iron Man till Endgame was one of the most cathartic viewing experiences I've had.

MoM tried to have the same by peddling in nostalgia.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    They shouldn't be farming ideas from social media, period. They should only do that if it's an idea that lines up with their plans.

Like Matt Murdock in NWH. Sure, fans demanded it but given the situation MCU Spidey was in, it made sense for Matt to show up plus Matt and Spidey have a long established history in the comics and both Cox and D'Onofrio have been pushing for their characters to meet Spider-Man.

Everything that NWH got right, MoM got wrong. There is no reason for Patrick Stewart's Xavier or Krasinki's Reed to show up besides meaningless fan service. Plus, it was a waste of Patrick Stewart, Benedict Cumberbatch and Elizabeth Olsen's talents to have their characters all in the same room and not have any meaningful interaction between their characters.
    Disney was flexing their wallet with the fans service in MOM, but I don't see anything wrong with putting a democratically elected casting to appeal to fans. These movies need those moments to survive at this stage in the game. After watching The Flash's fan service attempt, MOM was worthy of winning best supporting actors in theirs.

Besides, they went into the multiverse meeting random people that won't come back in their reality. There wasn't much anything else to it.

Krasinski felt like the biggest waste because he just stood around, barely stretched, and acted like an idiot that got Black Bolt killed.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Endgame earned the fan service over 20 films, MoM didn't they just threw it in for ticket sales.

In hindsight Endgame looks like MoM but watching the MCU from Iron Man till Endgame was one of the most cathartic viewing experiences I've had.

MoM tried to have the same by peddling in nostalgia.
    I don't disagree. I feel the same way about Spidey 3; let down by the nostalgia wank when all I wanted was to see Holland's journey continue.

I'm just saying the Krasinski thing wasn't a big deal on its own. MoM had plenty of problems, but Krasinski and Stewart weren't among them (except arguably for how they were used, but in my mind that ties back to the larger issues of the film).
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I don't disagree. I feel the same way about Spidey 3; let down by the nostalgia wank when all I wanted was to see Holland's journey continue.

I'm just saying the Krasinski thing wasn't a big deal on its own. MoM had plenty of problems, but Krasinski and Stewart weren't among them (except arguably for how they were used, but in my mind that ties back to the larger issues of the film).
    yeah totally; but having Krasinski was such a bald faced ploy to get more asses in seats, especially after Dauterman started drawing Reed looking like Krasinski. At least Stewart made sense because even within the X franchise there was multiverse BS. I mean even Black Bolt made sense as well as Captain Marvel but Krasinski really chaps my hide.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

yeah totally; but having Krasinski was such a bald faced ploy to get more asses in seats, especially after Dauterman started drawing Reed looking like Krasinski. At least Stewart made sense because even within the X franchise there was multiverse BS. I mean even Black Bolt made sense as well as Captain Marvel but Krasinski really chaps my hide.
    That's why Disney makes movies. It's not really for the art, although Raimi did good visually. I guess Ioan Gruffudd would've made more sense, but Krasinski is in a lot of productions now and he wasn't a terrible pick for an actor.

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    That's why Disney makes movies. It's not really for the art, although Raimi did good visually. I guess Ioan Gruffudd would've made more sense, but Krasinski is in a lot of productions now and he wasn't a terrible pick for an actor.
    if it was Gruffudd, I would respect it so much more

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Oh, hey. Anyone think we'll ever see someone confront Kang over the Thanos thing? Strange looks at 14 million futures and only one leads to victory. That's the sacred timeline right there; the history that Kang wrote. But in MoM we see that Thanos could have been defeated in other ways that don't result in the Blip, Stark dying, etc. Is anyone ever gonna call Kang out on that? Ask him why it had to play out that way?
    Strange could only look at his own possible futures. The Illuminati wouldn't show up in that because they had defeated Thanos already by that point

Secret Invasions first episode is a little dry, hopefully it picks up and explains motivations a little better.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Strange could only look at his own possible futures. The Illuminati wouldn't show up in that because they had defeated Thanos already by that point
    No, that's not what I'm saying. When Strange looks into the future, they were still on the One Who Remain's sacred timeline. The Blip was the only solution Strange could see because the sacred timeline wouldn't allow anything else. Which means He Who Remains wouldn't allow anything else, since he was the guy writing history. So is anyone ever gonna call Kang out on that and ask him why? Why did he want half the universe's population to die for five years? What was the gain?

I only mention MoM because that's where we see Thanos defeated in another way, so we know the Blip isn't some kind of static point in the multiverse that 'needs' to happen. Oh, I guess 'What If' had Thanos go down in a couple different ways too, now that I think about it; cut in half by Ultron-Vision in one universe, turned into a zombie in another, oh! turned into a Ravager in a third!

But yeah, I'm not asking about the Illuminati, I'm wondering why (a) Kang wanted the Blip to happen and if anyone will ever bring that up.

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Styles View Post
    Figures. Marvel is not in a good state right now.

Extraordinary Member

Secret Invasions first episode is a little dry, hopefully it picks up and explains motivations a little better.
    it is a set up episode. Who's involved, what's going on...that sort of thing.
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?