View Poll Results: What are your feelings about the TUCKERVERSE films?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • POSITIVE! I like the Tuckerverse films!

5 26.32%
  • NEGATIVE! Cannot stand the Tuckerverse films!

1 5.26%
  • MIXED: But generally positive and optimistic about the future of the Tuckerverse!

7 36.84%
  • MIXED: But generally negative and pessimistic about the future of the Tuckerverse!

6 31.58%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default DC Animated Movie Universe -- what are your feelings about the TUCKERVERSE?

Fans have adopted the term "Timmverse" to refer to the DC animated TV series produced by Bruce Timm beginning with Batman: The Animated Series and ending with Justice League Unlimited.

Fan reaction to these series has generally been highly positive.

Since 2007, DC has been releasing their DC Universe Animated Original movies. To date, there have been 32 of these. A subset of these, based on the New 52 continuity, has been called the "DC Animated Movie Universe," but since these 11 films have been produced by James Tucker, I just wanted to introduce the term "Tuckerverse" as a catchall nickname.

The Tuckerverse films have seemingly had more mixed reaction than the Timmverse TV shows, but I submit that it's harder to do a one-shot movie that gives you the same sense of satisfaction as a TV series that can build in cool moments and deeply develop characters over the course of 52 episodes or more.

I feel that the 11 films are of a mixed quality, but so are the other DC Animated films like Bruce Timm's own Superman: Doomsday film that also told the Death story. It seems the new film is much better received.

Also, on a tangent, I think that Bruce Timm is out of his element with movies versus TV shows because both Batman: The Killing Joke and Batman and Harley Quinn were disappointing to say the least. BAHQ in particular was a collection of sophomoric fart joke humor that showed me that Timm has really lost his mojo.

So, looking over the list of Tuckerverse films, what are your opinions on how they've turned out? Here's the full list:

(1) Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox
    (2) Justice League: War
    (3) Son of Batman
    (4) Justice League: Throne of Atlantis
    (5) Batman vs. Robin
    (6) Batman: Bad Blood
    (7) Justice League vs. Teen Titans
    (8) Justice League Dark
    (9) Teen Titans: The Judas Contract
    (10) Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay
    (11) The Death of Superman

To answer my own question, for me the only movies listed above that I really wasn't too crazy about were Justice League War and Justice League Throne of Atlantis.

Atlantis was a decent Aquaman movie, though, but as a JLA movie, it was lacking.

The Batman ones and the ones directed by Jay Oliva were generally my favorites -- even if Oliva did direct JL War.

Has anyone seen Death of Superman yet?

I've not been impressed since Tucker took over, the films went from must see movies to fillers when I'm bored. Flashpoint is my favourite from the bunch.

I wouldn't say Timm has lost it as Gods and Monster was pretty good but yeah, The Killing Joke was such a bad misfire. It's also hard to know how much involvement he had with those since he was an exec producer which can vary greatly in duties.
    Snowflakes melt in flame wars.

Quote Originally Posted by jump View Post
    I've not been impressed since Tucker took over, the films went from must see movies to fillers when I'm bored. Flashpoint is my favourite from the bunch.

I wouldn't say Timm has lost it as Gods and Monster was pretty good but yeah, The Killing Joke was such a bad misfire. It's also hard to know how much involvement he had with those since he was an exec producer which can vary greatly in duties.
    Well, Timm wrote Batman and Harley Quinn and that was goddamned awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    I wouldn't say Batman and Harley Quinn was awful, it's on par with most of current DC toon movies of just meh.

I actually really liked the bit with Swamp Thing and lets just set fire to villian.

Tuckerverse is alright.

they are decent films but nothing catches my eye or standouts out from the pack.

Bruce Timm's Gods and Monsters was way more engaging.

I think the DCNAU (DC New Animated Universe) had a rocky start but I think over time it's improved and delivered some really solid and enjoyable films.
    Quote Originally Posted by jump View Post

The quality of Timm's work depends a lot on the collaborators he's working with.

flashpoint is the only one i've liked. i was going to say i also liked assault on arkham but then realized it's a timmverse movie.
    Last edited by BigLbo; 08-23-2018 at 12:09 AM.

BANNED

Has anyone seen Death of Superman yet?
    Death of Superman is getting quite a bit of praise.

death of superman was better than i remember doomsday being, but not better than all star superman. but i'm not really a superman guy so what do i know.

i'm interested to see rise of the supermen though, mostly because i don't really know that story.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLbo View Post
    flashpoint is the only one i've liked. i was going to say i also liked assault on arkham but then realized it's a timmverse movie.
    Apparently it's meant to be cannon with the Arkham games.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Death of Superman is getting quite a bit of praise.
    I've only seen Flashpoint and liked it. Interesting movie.

Also saw Death of Superman last week and I adore it. It was better than BvS and JL.. This is pure Superman at its best. This movie really makes you care for him. I also like the Superman: Doomsday movie from years ago, but the new version is better. Great reimagining.

I also saw All Star Superman and loved it. This and the new Death of Superman are my faves. I still haven't seen the other movies in this universe, so I don't know. I don't really care for Batman outside the JL so I won't go out of my way to watch them. I'm mostly interested in Superman and JL.

Death of Superman, even though a retread, is probably the change in direction I'd been waiting for in this universe. Flashpoint was alright, though the art wasn't my favorite. War made Diana into some sort of barbarian with only punching and being strong on the mind, and turned me off from New52 Superman, but the Batman and Green Lantern interactions were good. Bowed out of it until the Batman and Teen Titans films.

And I laughed when people complained about The Judas Contract with the Terra scene. They thought it was a carry over from The Killing Joke, when it was just heavily toned down from the comics (thankfully).

Flashpoint was nice, but the rest.....ranging from terrible to decent.

iMan 42s

I'm mixed but I've only seen so many.

I didn't like Flashpoint the comic and I didn't like Flashpoint the movie. It's better than the comic but again, I just didn't care all that much for Flashpoint.

Justice League: War, that was pretty bad. It's a movie I never need to see again. It's alright, but it's just not very good.

Son of Batman is honestly my most hated of the ones I've seen and partially. I hate this movie with a passion and it basically soured me on the whole thing. I don't like the kid, the plot was ridiculous and it couldn't get me to give a damn. I never want to see it again and if I had it my way I would go back in time and save myself the money I spent renting it.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.