Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Disney-ABC request for popular Oscar category sparks Backlash

Was this the only way Disney could ensure Black Panther lands a major Nomination? I heard they were planning to lunch a major campaign for the film but after Wonder Woman, which had a heavy Oscar campaign failed to land any nominations, Black Panther was never going to get any. It is not Logan or The Dark Knight. The only two superhero films to get nominated in major categories.

The Disney-Abc move devalues the entire Oscars. Awards should be given based on what is deserving. The reaction so far has been very negative, I didn't expect much backlash. I expect the category to be scrapped in 3 years.

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/08/...scars-changes/

The Oscars are joke, it's an insiders club. A popular Oscar is good news to me, far too many times genre films are disregarded so this should help getting those films recognized.
    Snowflakes melt in flame wars.

What are going to be the criteria though?

Smells like BS for being honest. Just some token award to please the crowd.

It really reeks of Disney lobbying for Black Panther to receive an award, just proof that the MCU is so mediocre that they have to create a lower category for them to win an Oscar. They are misguided though thinking it is going to be another guarantee win like the Oscar's animated category. If this category was in place last year, Wonder Woman or Logan would have won. The funny thing too is since the DCEU is younger than the dying MCU and Star Wars, so they are more likely to pick up more nominations and wins. Avengers, GotG, Winter Soldier, and the Force Awakens could have been winners.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    It really reeks of Disney lobbying for Black Panther to receive an award, just proof that the MCU is so mediocre that they have to create a lower category for them to win an Oscar. .
    Does seem like an abuse of power from Disney's part.

They are misguided though thinking it is going to be another guarantee win like the Oscar's animated category. If this category was in place last year, Wonder Woman or Logan would have won. The funny thing too is since the DCEU is younger than the dying MCU and Star Wars, so they are more likely to pick up more nominations and wins. Avengers, GotG, Winter Soldier, and the Force Awakens could have been winners
    We are in August, best popular film this year is not Black Panther, It's Mission Impossible 6. This category will be scrapped after three years. We already have MTV and Peoples Choice award for this category.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post
    We are in August, best popular film this year is not Black Panther, It's Mission Impossible 6. This category will be scrapped after three years. We already have MTV and Peoples Choice award for this category.
    It would look exceptionally bad on their part if they created a category for Black Panther to win and the films doesn't.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post
    Well it is the better movie in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    It really reeks of Disney lobbying for Black Panther to receive an award, just proof that the MCU is so mediocre that they have to create a lower category for them to win an Oscar. They are misguided though thinking it is going to be another guarantee win like the Oscar's animated category. If this category was in place last year, Wonder Woman or Logan would have won. The funny thing too is since the DCEU is younger than the dying MCU and Star Wars, so they are more likely to pick up more nominations and wins. Avengers, GotG, Winter Soldier, and the Force Awakens could have been winners.
    Yes and rightfully so. Either WW or Logan would have been excellent nominations regardless of if they won or not.

And we have yet another desperate wish fulfillment claim that the MCU is dying based on no evidence at all. The biggest superhero movie in history sure is solid evidence of that.

Besides, it's not lowering the quality. Sure, it's self-serving for Disney. But the fact remains that all it would be doing is interjecting something into the Oscars that allows movies anybody actually watched and cares about to have a chance of winning.
    Power with Girl is better.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post

Quoted for truth.

Sounds so ridiculously condescending.

If the "pop corn" films are the best films of the year, then simply nominate them for best picture.

No need to create a separate category for anything. The Oscars need to decide what they really want to be honestly...

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Sounds so ridiculously condescending
    It really does.

Before they were just snobbing all those pop corn movies but now they have a cute little award just for them cause we sure don't want any of that crap competing for the real ones now don't we?

There are about 7,000 Oscar voters. But we don't know how many vote for any particular movie or how close a given vote was.
    There is no requirement to see the movies or that the ballot is filled out by the voting member. (It is said Jimmy Stewart would just give the ballot to his secretary).

It is all PR. And no billions of viewers do NOT watch the Oscars. That number they always through around are the number of people for whom the telecast is available.

I am not sure if an Oscar win means better box office for a movie. (it probably helps nominated and winning actors, writers, directors, etc...)
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

If you think about it, how many Oscar fodder films have won awards for the actors putting on a fake nose, losing/gaining loads of weight and chewing the hell out of the scenery, there should be loads more comic hero films with Oscars.
    Last edited by jump; 08-09-2018 at 08:38 AM.
    Snowflakes melt in flame wars.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post

I totally agree with you on that. This is just a bunch of BS. They already have expanded the Best Picture category so this isn't really needed. Also its pretty condescending to have an award just for "Popular Movies" like they aren't "good enough" to win a "Real" award.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 08-22-2018 at 05:46 PM.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Quote Originally Posted by jump View Post
    The Oscars are joke, it's an insiders club. A popular Oscar is good news to me, far too many times genre films are disregarded so this should help getting those films recognized.
    Absolutely agree. As many insiders have said themselves all the way back to George C. Scott, the Oscars are an elitist group with all sorts of bargaining, favors and favoritism along with political maneuvering, people voting based on what they think is an important message over quality, etc.

But the main bottom line is that I just bluntly and honestly don't give a damn about most of the movies that get nominated for Oscars in most of my lifetime with rare exceptions. Something like this could at least generate some real interest in the Oscars and give genre movies a chance that they otherwise would never get.
    Power with Girl is better.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by jump View Post
    Ditto. Many so called 'popular' films feature fine acting and great storytelling yet fail to win because they aren't 'worthy' enough. I've lost count of the Oscar winners who've sent me to sleep over the years!