Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    I mean, did you see Call Me By Your Name?? Because it was really not just an "average gay movie." It was actually quite a brilliant film and well deserving of its win. Just because Logan didn't win doesn't mean the Academy thought it was undeserving because of its genre. If they really thought that, they wouldn't have nominated it at all. They just thought that Call Me By Your Name was more deserving of that particular award. And, having seen both of those films, I can't fault them for thinking so. Not to say that Logan wasn't deserving because it was. Again, it was nominated.
    I agree with you completely. I did see Call me by your Name.The thing is we have many good, average, excellent LGBT movies but movies like Logan are rare for comic movies. I don't think Logan deserved to win more than call me by your name and vice versa to the other three nominees. What I am saying is Logan never stood a chance of winning at all against any LGBT movie for the very same reason, Gravity was never going to win best Picture over 12 years a slave. It's great Logan was recognised. I am cool with that as a comic fan.

The Oscar snobbery doesn't stop and start with blockbuster genre films, indy and straight-to-streaming films are still largely ignored.
    Snowflakes melt in flame wars.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by jump View Post
    The Oscar snobbery doesn't stop and start with blockbuster genre films, indy and straight-to-streaming films are still largely ignored.
    Not really. In regards to indie films, wasn’t it the case that a few years ago, the majority of Best Picture nominees were indie movies? Birdman, 12 Years a Slave, Pulp Fiction, Fargo, The Artist, Silver Linings Playbook, etc. we’re all indie films and they were all Best Picture winners or nominees. In fact, looking at the winners of the Independent Spirit Awards for the past couple decades reads like a who’s who of past Oscar movies. Plus, hasn’t most of the criticism from people who want more popular films nominated been that the Academy has been rewarding smaller, more indie films that no one sees? You can’t say that it’s a problem that they’re nominating lesser known films on the one hand and then complain that they don’t nominate independent movies (even though they have) on the other. It’s contradictory.

In regards to straight-to-streaming films, well it’s not really “snubbing” because those films aren’t eligible to be nominated in the first place. The Academy bylaws require that, to be eligible for nomination, a movie has to first be shown in theaters for a set amount of time (I think at least 2 weeks). So those movies are considered “TV movies” and can’t be nominated for Oscars. But, it’s not as if those films aren’t celebrated because, as TV movies, they are eligible to be nominated for Emmys.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 08-19-2018 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Not really. In regards to indie films, wasn’t it the case that a few years ago, the majority of Best Picture nominees were indie movies? I’m pretty sure Birdman was an indie film and that won Best Picture. Plus, hasn’t most of the criticism from people who want more popular films nominated been that the Academy has been rewarding smaller, more indie films in the first place?

In regards to straight-to-streaming films, well it’s not really “snubbing” because those films aren’t eligible to be nominated in the first place. The Academy bylaws require that, to be eligible for nomination, a movie has to first be shown in theaters for a set amount of time (I think at least 2 weeks). So those movies are considered “TV movies” and can’t be nominated for Oscars. But, it’s not as if those films aren’t celebrated because, as TV movies, they are eligible to be nominated for Emmys.
    Birdman was released by Fox, if it was a real indie film it wouldn't have got a nomination anyway as it needs the machine behind it.

The actual bylwas state it's got to have been shown in LA but in any case there's been films like Beasts of No Nation that jump through those hoops just to be igored anyway.
    Snowflakes melt in flame wars.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by jump View Post
    Birdman was released by Fox, if it was a real indie film it wouldn't have got a nomination anyway as it needs the machine behind it.
    Well, it is considered an indie film because it won the Independent Spirit Award for Best Film. There’s also movies like Pulp Fiction, Fargo, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Lost in Translation, Sideways, The Artist, Brokeback Mountain, Spotlight, Precious, etc. that have all been recognized by the Academy. Again, reading the Independent Spirit winners is like reading a who's who of Best Picture nominees.

Plus, weren't a bunch of this past year’s nominees produced by A24? I know Lady Bird was.

The actual bylwas state it's got to have been shown in LA but in any case there's been films like Beasts of No Nation that jump through those hoops just to be igored anyway.
    And then there are films like Mudbound (Netflix) and The Big Sick (Amazon) that aren’t ignored. Both of those scored nominations this past year. The streaming service/production company hybrid is still a relatively new thing, but it’s obvious that we will be seeing more representation of those movies at the Oscars in years to come.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 08-19-2018 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    While DC fanboys want to cheer and belittle the Marvel films-despite REALITY that Marvel took "low" level properties and they all took DC's icons to the cleaners.
    And Marvel fans regularly deny the financial success of DC films, like the fact that if you match both DCEU and MCU films side by side in terms of release order, the DC film will always has the higher Box Office, a trend that is likley going to end with Aquaman (as it goes against Avengers), but is still demonstrates that the DCEU is outperforming the MCU.

No one really denies MCU films make money, we just think its clear that these flicks don't have any significant legacy. I mean lets take a look at Iron Man and the Dark Knight, both were highly reviewed films, yet one continues to inspire intrigue into its themes and characters and the other just gets brought up to rebuff the assertion that not all MCU films are bland, mediocre garbage. This is one reason we don't mind the introduction of this category as in the long run DC films will just get more wins.

Call me when DC gets a black lead movie with a lead NOT belonging to Milestone or formerly belonging to WIldstorm or sharing screen time with Hal Jordan and has all his or her body parts.
    Talk about arbitrary goal defining, even though Will Smith is the co-lead of SS, a film that came out before Black Panther.
    Last edited by Pinsir; 08-20-2018 at 02:39 PM.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    And Marvel fans regularly deny the financial success of DC films, like the fact that if you match both DCEU and MCU films side by side in terms of release order, the DC film will always has the higher Box Office, a trend that is likley going to end with Aquaman (as it goes against Avengers), but is still demonstrates that the DCEU is outperforming the MCU.

No one really denies MCU films make money, we just think its clear that these flicks don't have any significant legacy. I mean lets take a look at Iron Man and the Dark Knight, both were highly reviewed films, yet one continues to inspire intrigue into its themes and characters and the other just gets brought up to rebuff the assertion that not all MCU films are bland, mediocre garbage. This is one reason we don't mind the introduction of this category as in the long run DC films will just get more wins.

Talk about arbitrary goal defining, even though Will Smith is the co-lead of SS, a film that came out before Black Panther.
    Will Smith was already in 3 comic book/superhero movies as the lead actor and star of the show.

Men in Black 1
    Men in Black 2
    Hanock

This was the height of his career, He was as bankable as Tom Cruise and Tom Hanks. All these comic films were very successful. We do live in strange times when people act as if Black Panther was the first black superhero or comic book character. It's just not true and it makes me worried how Marvel can easily brainwash the mass population on this false myth.
    Last edited by Hall; 08-20-2018 at 04:58 PM.

BANNED

Yes, well, a couple of points to consider before taking that argument too far.

Iron Man budget was $140 million, and made $585 million worldwide, for a difference of $445 million.

Man of Steel budget was $225 million, and made $668 million worldwide, for a difference of $443 million.

One of those movies was Iron Man. One of them was Superman.

I have better things to do than work out the numbers for the rest of the films.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post
    Black Panther is not best picture material, outside of The Dark Knight. The mantle goes to Logan. Action drama with themes has been around as far back as X-Men 1, X-Men 2, Batman Begins, Spider-Man 2, Days Of Future Past and The Dark Knight Rises. The problem of Black Panther, it touched on themes in subtle ways. These movies I mentioned, touched on their themes in a challenging away that made them more than just pop corn films. Something the MCU has yet to escape from.
    Black Panther stands just as worthy as the two films you mentioned. They all were awesome movies with their flaws and all. Nevertheless you know what they say about buttholes and opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Yes, well, a couple of points to consider before taking that argument too far.

Iron Man budget was $140 million, and made $585 million worldwide, for a difference of $445 million.

Man of Steel budget was $225 million, and made $668 million worldwide, for a difference of $443 million.

One of those movies was Iron Man. One of them was Superman.

I have better things to do than work out the numbers for the rest of the films.
    So your just confirming my claim that MoS had a higher Box Office Iron Man?
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Logan's not going to win best picture. No idea why people are tricking themselves
    The J-man

BANNED

So your just confirming my claim that MoS had a higher Box Office Iron Man?
    LOL. Yeah I guess that's a take you could have.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Logan's not going to win best picture. No idea why people are tricking themselves
    True. this is 2018, the movie only managed a well deserved screenplay nom in 2017
    Last edited by Hall; 08-22-2018 at 09:44 AM.

Ultimate Member

I think the folks that need convincing about the DCEU is WB themselves. They are clearly disturbed by the negative reception their movies have been getting which has been the polar opposite of Marvel. This year alone, Marvel released one of the most critically acclaimed superhero movies ever and the biggest summer movie ever which was also critically acclaimed.

All this being said, WB clearly have issues with how the DCEU has done considering just how many changes they've and continue to make to their universe which frankly is the right thing to do. It makes no sense to continue down a path that leads to a “Justice League scenario”.
    Last edited by Username taken; 08-22-2018 at 03:53 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    If we are being honest, TDK is the only film in ten years based off a comic book that deserved a chance to win best picture and it couldn’t get a nom. Nobody even remembers Slumdog Millionaire anymore while TDK might be the most culturally relevant film of the 2000’s. The Oscars have been haunted by that snub for years to the point where people on the show were taking jabs at the Academy for not nominating it and they changed the Best Picture format the next year and nominated Avatar as an olive branch.