Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Default Disney-ABC request for popular Oscar category sparks Backlash

Was this the only way Disney could ensure Black Panther lands a major Nomination? I heard they were planning to lunch a major campaign for the film but after Wonder Woman, which had a heavy Oscar campaign failed to land any nominations, Black Panther was never going to get any. It is not Logan or The Dark Knight. The only two superhero films to get nominated in major categories.

The Disney-Abc move devalues the entire Oscars. Awards should be given based on what is deserving. The reaction so far has been very negative, I didn't expect much backlash. I expect the category to be scrapped in 3 years.

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/08/...scars-changes/

The Oscars are joke, it's an insiders club. A popular Oscar is good news to me, far too many times genre films are disregarded so this should help getting those films recognized.
    Snowflakes melt in flame wars.

What are going to be the criteria though?

Smells like BS for being honest. Just some token award to please the crowd.

It really reeks of Disney lobbying for Black Panther to receive an award, just proof that the MCU is so mediocre that they have to create a lower category for them to win an Oscar. They are misguided though thinking it is going to be another guarantee win like the Oscar's animated category. If this category was in place last year, Wonder Woman or Logan would have won. The funny thing too is since the DCEU is younger than the dying MCU and Star Wars, so they are more likely to pick up more nominations and wins. Avengers, GotG, Winter Soldier, and the Force Awakens could have been winners.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    It really reeks of Disney lobbying for Black Panther to receive an award, just proof that the MCU is so mediocre that they have to create a lower category for them to win an Oscar. .
    Does seem like an abuse of power from Disney's part.

They are misguided though thinking it is going to be another guarantee win like the Oscar's animated category. If this category was in place last year, Wonder Woman or Logan would have won. The funny thing too is since the DCEU is younger than the dying MCU and Star Wars, so they are more likely to pick up more nominations and wins. Avengers, GotG, Winter Soldier, and the Force Awakens could have been winners
    We are in August, best popular film this year is not Black Panther, It's Mission Impossible 6. This category will be scrapped after three years. We already have MTV and Peoples Choice award for this category.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post
    We are in August, best popular film this year is not Black Panther, It's Mission Impossible 6. This category will be scrapped after three years. We already have MTV and Peoples Choice award for this category.
    It would look exceptionally bad on their part if they created a category for Black Panther to win and the films doesn't.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    What are going to be the criteria though?

Smells like BS for being honest. Just some token award to please the crowd.
    Quoted for truth.

Sounds so ridiculously condescending.

If the "pop corn" films are the best films of the year, then simply nominate them for best picture.

No need to create a separate category for anything. The Oscars need to decide what they really want to be honestly...

Ultimate Member

I actually want Black Panther to be nominated for Best Picture. The movie was more like an action drama until the CGI heavy end and touched on so many themes (in very subtle ways) that even some "heavy" dramas don't. It's the only superhero movie that deserves that accolade except the Dark Knight way back in 2008.

Folks have chalked up all of BP's critical and commercial success to "social issues". This might be true but we've never had a superhero movie address the themes BP did in the way it did.

But this category of best popular movie is just bullshit. The Best Picture category was expanded to 10 categories, simply include all the best movies into that.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I actually want Black Panther to be nominated for Best Picture. The movie was more like an action drama until the CGI heavy end and touched on so many themes (in very subtle ways) that even some "heavy" dramas don't. It's the only superhero movie that deserves that accolade except the Dark Knight way back in 2008.

Black Panther is not best picture material, outside of The Dark Knight. The mantle goes to Logan. Action drama with themes has been around as far back as X-Men 1, X-Men 2, Batman Begins, Spider-Man 2, Days Of Future Past and The Dark Knight Rises. The problem of Black Panther, it touched on themes in subtle ways. These movies I mentioned, touched on their themes in a challenging away that made them more than just pop corn films. Something the MCU has yet to escape from.
    Last edited by Marvelgirl; 08-09-2018 at 03:43 AM.

BANNED

.The Disney-Abc move devalues the entire Oscars. Awards should be given based on what is deserving. The reaction so far has been very negative, I didn't expect much backlash. I expect the category to be scrapped in 3 years.

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/08/...scars-changes/
    The Oscars are all popularity awards, and always have been, just popularity awards from select people in the club. This just adds a touch of honesty into what these awards are.

But it does provide the sort of insight into what a studio like Disney will do when it controls as much of the box office as it will after the FOX buyout.

Ultimate Member

Black Panther is not best picture material, outside of The Dark Knight. The mantle goes to Logan. Action drama with themes has been around as far back as X-Men 1, X-Men 2, Batman Begins, Spider-Man 2, Days Of Future Past and The Dark Knight Rises. The problem of Black Panther, it touched on themes in subtle ways. These movies I mentioned, touched on their themes in a challenging away that made them more than just pop corn films. Something the MCU has yet to escape from.
    I don't agree with any of this.

But that's ok, we will just agree to disagree.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    The Oscars are all popularity awards, and always have been, just popularity awards from select people in the club. This just adds a touch of honesty into what these awards are.

But it does provide the sort of insight into what a studio like Disney will do when it controls as much of the box office as it will after the FOX buyout.
    That's the thing some people were fearful of.

Disney wields a LOT of power now in the industry.

I'm all for it...now people can care about the Oscars.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Sounds so ridiculously condescending
    It really does.

Before they were just snobbing all those pop corn movies but now they have a cute little award just for them cause we sure don't want any of that crap competing for the real ones now don't we?

There are about 7,000 Oscar voters. But we don't know how many vote for any particular movie or how close a given vote was.
    There is no requirement to see the movies or that the ballot is filled out by the voting member. (It is said Jimmy Stewart would just give the ballot to his secretary).

It is all PR. And no billions of viewers do NOT watch the Oscars. That number they always through around are the number of people for whom the telecast is available.

I am not sure if an Oscar win means better box office for a movie. (it probably helps nominated and winning actors, writers, directors, etc...)
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!