Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    If we are being honest, TDK is the only film in ten years based off a comic book that deserved a chance to win best picture and it couldn’t get a nom. Nobody even remembers Slumdog Millionaire anymore while TDK might be the most culturally relevant film of the 2000’s. The Oscars have been haunted by that snub for years to the point where people on the show were taking jabs at the Academy for not nominating it and they changed the Best Picture format the next year and nominated Avatar as an olive branch.
    I also remember how many critics were furious The Reader was nominated.

Ultimate Member

If we are being honest, TDK is the only film in ten years based off a comic book that deserved a chance to win best picture and it couldn’t get a nom. Nobody even remembers Slumdog Millionaire anymore while TDK might be the most culturally relevant film of the 2000’s. The Oscars have been haunted by that snub for years to the point where people on the show were taking jabs at the Academy for not nominating it and they changed the Best Picture format the next year and nominated Avatar as an olive branch.
    Slumdog millionaire was a great movie and I'm pretty sure most people remember it.

I don't remember if they came out the same year but I enjoyed Slumdog probably more than most movies of 2008, TDK included.

The tension and drama in Slumdog millionaire was insane and that's purely on a popcorn level. Although our Indian brothers might have a different take.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    What are going to be the criteria though?

Smells like BS for being honest. Just some token award to please the crowd.
    I totally agree with you on that. This is just a bunch of BS. They already have expanded the Best Picture category so this isn't really needed. Also its pretty condescending to have an award just for "Popular Movies" like they aren't "good enough" to win a "Real" award.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 08-22-2018 at 05:46 PM.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

I don't know if I would say the only one but certainly it deserved a nomination. I think people expected that it might get one because it seemed to be one of the few comic book based movies that, in some ways, followed the formula for a possible nomination.
    Power with Girl is better.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Slumdog millionaire was a great movie and I'm pretty sure most people remember it.
    Yes! Completely agreed. It was a great movie. I think people here are underestimating the cultural relevancy of the films that are nominated.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 08-22-2018 at 09:43 PM.

Looks like the category is getting scrapped. Did not take up to 3 years as I thought. Disney just made a big donkey of themselves. They abused their power for ushering such a bad Award's category.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post
    Looks like the category is getting scrapped. Did not take up to 3 years as I thought. Disney just made a big donkey of themselves. They abused their power for ushering such a bad Award's category.
    Well, now we are back to movies released in hundreds of theaters for film awards and people complaining about that.

Invincible Member

It was just a marketing ploy by them in the first place.

Ultimate Member

Thank Goodness.

Hopefully, popular movies that are good enough can get best picture nominations.

And I hope that BP can get a major Oscar nomination (outside of VFX which weren't very good).

EDIT: I don't want to get into "Logan or Dark Knight deserved the nomination" debate because they are in the past. Plus BP touched on far more themes than the aforementioned movies IMO, so please don't @ me!
    Last edited by Username taken; 09-07-2018 at 09:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    Well, now we are back to movies released in hundreds of theaters for film awards and people complaining about that.
    Exactly. It's a no-win scenario. We scrap an award category that was condescending to begin with but, in the process, the Oscars continue to lose ratings because nobody cares about the movies that get nominated with rare exceptions.
    Power with Girl is better.

Extraordinary Member

No offense to the people who were for this, but thank god its getting delayed (and possibly canned). It was a horrible idea from the start. The CBMs that are worthy of a nomination will be nominated. There doesn't need to be a separate category for these films.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Exactly. It's a no-win scenario. We scrap an award category that was condescending to begin with but, in the process, the Oscars continue to lose ratings because nobody cares about the movies that get nominated with rare exceptions.
    But is that a failure of the Academy or even of the people who make the movies that are nominated? Or does it mean that the general public's tastes have shifted away from the serious and artistic? It used to be the case that the Best Picture winner at the Oscars was a popular movie. I mean, Bridge Over the River Kwai, Silence of the Lambs, The Godfather, Rocky, etc. were all some of the highest-grossing films in the year that they won Best Picture.

The difference I believe is that people used to actually want to watch those kinds of movies. The general public used to be entertained by complex, character-driven dramas. Again, the films that garner nominations are good films that deserve all the praise they receive. So, we can't blame the Academy for wanting to reward those movies.

Thank Goodness.

Plus BP touched on far more themes than the aforementioned movies IMO, so please don't @ me!
    It did not. Logan and TDK are not what I consider the most themed of their series. X2 and Batman Begins are and both movies tackled their themes deeper than Black Panther ever did. They are better movies too.Black Panther is only getting huge love because it is a major black cast film.

You don't say.
    Last edited by Hall; 09-07-2018 at 03:44 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hall View Post
    It did not. Logan and TDK are not what I consider the most themed of their series. First Class and Batman Begins are and both movies tackled their themes deeper than Black Panther ever did. They are better movies too.Black Panther is only getting huge love because it is a major black cast film.

You don't say.
    Like I said earlier. I’m not up for this bullshit debate. Plenty of all black movies get bad reviews. Tons of them. BP got the critical acclaim (and the massive box office worldwide) because it connected with tons of people.

If you don’t like the movie simply say so and restrict the argument to just that, the whole anti-Marvel debate is stale.

To me (and a lot of people) BP did things no superhero has done before if you disagree but the whole “people gave it good reviews because the cast is predominantly black” is a disingenuous argument.
    Last edited by Username taken; 09-07-2018 at 03:48 PM.

Like I said earlier. I’m not up for this bullshit debate. Plenty of all black movies get bad reviews. Tons of them. BP got the critical acclaim (and the massive box office worldwide) because it connected with tons of people.

If you don’t like the movie simply say so and restrict the argument to just that, the whole anti-Marvel debate is stale.

To me (and a lot of people) BP did things no superhero has done before if you disagree but the whole “people gave it good reviews because the cast is predominantly black” is a disingenuous argument.
    What did Black Panther do that no other comics film did?

X-Men did what Black Panther did and did it 10x better. Much more compelling.
    profxandmagneto.jpg

I mentioned Batman Begins instead of The Dark Knight because it actually tackled street crime and police corruption that was more compelling than anything in Black Panther.

It is not being anti mcu, it is saying many other films are better than Black Panther, making Black Panther less worthy of Oscars.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post

The difference I believe is that people used to actually want to watch those kinds of movies. The general public used to be entertained by complex, character-driven dramas. Again, the films that garner nominations are good films that deserve all the praise they receive. So, we can't blame the Academy for wanting to reward those movies.
    Actually to a degree as someone pointed out, the studios are only releasing these movies to hundreds of theaters. If Slumdog Millionaire is a good enough movie to be nominated then it is a good enough movie to advertised and promoted. Stop doing limited releases to make the Oscar deadline. If the movie is good, people will go and see it before it even becomes an Oscar contender.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.