Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Anyone else pick up issue #1 for Volume 2 of this book?
    We see the origins of EC comics (GW) with Chaykin's stand-ins for Gaines, Kurtzman and Feldstein. Also we have Jeff Thomas-Jack Davis, Peter Vance-Wally Wood and Joel Pitkin-John Severin (I think, could be Will Elder)
    It's still a realistic retelling of the behind the scenes comic book history. Depressing, but always interesting. This is a necessary book, even if we don't want to see how badly our artistic heroes were treated.
    One of the things that is fun in this book is Chaykin's versions of real comics, like the EC line up or Archie. The pages of the Simon/Kirby (and others) are really well done.
    Mine is in the mail. I'm looking forward to it.

Issue #2 had a nice bit with "Julie Schwartz" telling "Kane" and "Infantino" they are restarting the Superhero books.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

We need a who's who for all the new creators from issue #3 (back cover)
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

We need a who's who for all the new creators from issue #3 (back cover)
    I am interested in seeing more who is based on whom, but I am not very knowledgeable on details of comic book history. However, I am pretty sure Howard Chaykin is being tight-lipped about who the characters are actually based on, but speculation and the inevitable disagreements are fun to see.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I am interested in seeing more who is based on whom, but I am not very knowledgeable on details of comic book history. However, I am pretty sure Howard Chaykin is being tight-lipped about who the characters are actually based on, but speculation and the inevitable disagreements are fun to see.
    Some of them, like Benita Heindal and Whitmore are conglomerations of several comic creators. Others, like Rose, Mitchell and Vance are straight up Lee, Kirby and Woods.
    I think most of the new guys (Chaykin's contemporaries) represent real people.

Ultimate Member

Finally got around to reading issues 3 and 4. Metcalf is Roy Thomas. Mavrides is Jim Steranko. Pollard is probably Jim Warren from Creepy Magazine. Gatlin is probably Chaykin himself. The other guys I'm not sure but they've got to be stand in for Len Wein, Marv Wolfman, Gerry Conway, etc

Ultimate Member

Finally got around to #5. Bill Podesta is Neal Adams?

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Finally got around to #5. Bill Podesta is Neal Adams?
    I thought Tony Kramer was Neal.

I think in the latest episode they young artists are more of a mix of the young turks and Studio guys from the 70s, Starlin, Kaluta, Wrightson, etc... none of them are a one on one stand in.

Ultimate Member

I thought Tony Kramer was Neal.
    I thought Bill was Adams because the Bill character was working for "American Parodise" which I was guessing is National Lampoon. I know that Neal Adams did some work for them back in the 70's.

Ultimate Member

I think in the latest episode they young artists are more of a mix of the young turks and Studio guys from the 70s, Starlin, Kaluta, Wrightson, etc... none of them are a one on one stand in.
    Ok, that makes sense. Although, perhaps George Villers is Starlin?

I know issue 6 is already out but it'll probably be another week before I can order it.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Ok, that makes sense. Although, perhaps George Villers is Starlin?

I know issue 6 is already out but it'll probably be another week before I can order it.
    Issue 6 makes a great case for Villers being Starlin.

Villiers is Starlin, but Chaykin has said this isn't history, so even the stories about Gitlin aren't always the way it happened.

Villiers is Starlin, but Chaykin has said this isn't history, so even the stories about Gitlin aren't always the way it happened.
    I follow Chaykin on Facebook and he's stating this case. However, many fans will take this as a mockunentary where the feelings and general idea are portrayed but with enough glossing over so as not to be a fully accurate representation. The "some events have been fictionalized" thing.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I follow Chaykin on Facebook and he's stating this case. However, many fans will take this as a mockunentary where the feelings and general idea are portrayed but with enough glossing over so as not to be a fully accurate representation. The "some events have been fictionalized" thing.
    Yes, this. I am on FB with him too. On a thread where Harvey Kurtzmen was discussed, I said Chaykin had done a scene in Hey Kids about how Hugh Hefner treated Kurtzmen. Chaykin's response was "Excuse me?". So I corrected myself and said Kenmore and Grossberg. He gave me a thumbs up on that.

I think the point is that he may have one character, say the stand in for Gil Kane or Neal Adams or Starlin do something that happened to another creator because it fits his narrative better.