Extraordinary Member

Default The Deviant by James Tynion IV and Joshua Hixson

Extraordinary Member

The Deviant #1 Preview
    Writer: James Tynion IV
    Artist: Joshua Hixson

Multiple Eisner Award-winning writer James Tynion IV (W0RLDTR33, The Department of Truth) and acclaimed artist Joshua Hixson (The Plot, Children of the Woods), and award-winning letterer Hassan Otsmane-Elhaou unite for a pitch-black holiday horror story in The Deviant. This chilling, nine-issue miniseries is set to launch in November from Image Comics.

As snow falls over Milwaukee in 1972, a blood-stained Santa Claus commits unimaginable atrocities against young men. Fifty years later, a troubled young writer interviews this so-called "Deviant Killer," who still maintains his innocence from behind bars. And as Christmas approaches once again, the past returns, wielding a sharpened ax.

“The Deviant is something a little different," said Tynion IV. "A dark, focused psychological crime thriller where I get to explore the intersection of my queer identity and a broader scope of cultural transgression and deviance. This is my response to Silence of the Lambs and Jeffrey Dahmer serving as my first real glimpses of my queer identity as a young closeted Midwestern boy. It’s one of the darkest and most personal stories I’ve ever written. It’s also a story about Christmas.”

Hixson added: “The Deviant is the kind of book i’ve been wanting to make for a long time. While I’ve been no stranger to the horror genre in my career of making comics, this story scratches a particular itch and is unlike anything I’ve been a part of. And to get to do it with James, Steve, and Hassan at Image Comics has been so creatively rewarding. I’m really excited for people to read it this holiday season.”

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

This might’ve been cooler releasing this as a completed works instead of single issues. I’m sure, way back when, I read Tynion was wanting to release a book like that.

Tynion's work reads better in trade for me so I'll pick it up that way.

Extraordinary Member

The Deviant #1 Variant by Joshua Hixson

Extraordinary Member

Okay, Now Let's Talk About THE DEVIANT
    I’ve always been a little bit too fascinated with Serial Killers.

I went to high school about fifteen blocks away from the apartment building where Jeffrey Dahmer killed all those people, just a little over a decade after the last killings had taken place. I had good friends in High School whose parents had had some small involvement in his story, both through the press or the legal side of things. And when friends and I talked about Dahmer in hushed voices, we always talked about Ed Gein, too. The Wisconsin Serial Killer who inspired both PSYCHO and THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE.

And then there was the fact that I watched Silence of the Lambs for the first time when I was twelve years old (my mom unsuccessfully attempted to cover my eyes during the Scary bits), which kicked off a lifelong fascination with Hannibal Lecter and the stories around him.

But in that fascination, there was something darker lurking. My own strange relationship with my sexuality which I was starting to piece together as an adolescent. You have to remember that in the late 90s and early 00s, it was easy to have a media diet in which gay people just didn’t exist. And when they did, it was usually as a punchline, and rarely as a three-dimensional character. I think I watched the Kevin Kline movie IN & OUT three times when my Mom rented it, without my family realizing I was going back over and over.

But most of the time I was engaging with queerness in media it was through the lens of monsters. Through sexual deviance. And there was a strange tie to Serial Killers. To the idea of the person who looked like everybody else, but there was something WRONG in them. Something twisted, that would grow into something uncontrollable and dangerous and hurt people around them.

Even now, in my mid-thirties, I’m still navigating my relationship with my own queerness. It’s nothing quite so dire as the dark thoughts of a young gay teenager reading about Jeffrey Dahmer on a Geocities website, but it’s not always the clean, clear affirmative relationship that a lot of queer fiction portrays. I wanted to dig into my ugliest feelings and see what kind of art would come from that.

Sometimes, it still feels like there’s something wrong with me. Sometimes, in a story with the monster, I see myself more in the monster than I do in the ordinary people. So I wanted to take all of those deep and uncomfortable feelings and use them as the building blocks for a horror comic. A serial killer story, with no supernatural elements. My love letter to Thomas Harris, and David Fincher, and all of the formative works that needled their way into my impressionable young brain.

The Deviant is also a Christmas Story.

That’s why it’s coming out in mid-November. There was something in my brain that told me that the best time to launch this series was going to be making sure that the Final Order Cut-off landed in the drumbeat to Halloween, and that the book would be on the stands in time for Black Friday and the whole Holiday Shopping season. What more could you want in your local comic shop this season?

I can’t say enough good things about the work of Joshua Hixson on the series. His art and colors capture the uneasy feeling of the book perfectly. We’ve been working on and talking about this book for such a long time, and I can’t wait for you all to see the way in which his work has leveled up to the next stratosphere. We’re up to something dark, and exciting in this book and I really can’t wait for it to finally come out.

We did the thing we did with W0RLDTR33 and announced the cover line-up but only showed off Josh’s incredible Cover A. The one I want to call out is the Die-Cut cover, which opens like a Christmas Card. You’ll have to get the comic to see what lives inside of that Snow Globe. But I think that’s going to be a favorite…

As always, we have a murderers row of incredible comic talent…

Extraordinary Member

Issue #1 Variant by Joshua Hixson

Issue #1 Variant by Dani

Issue #1 Variant by Andrea Sorrentino

Extraordinary Member

Issue #1 Variant by Sean Phillips

Issue #1 Variant by Christian Ward

Issue #1 Variant by Lee Bermejo

Extraordinary Member

The Deviant #1 Preview
    Writer: James Tynion IV
    Artist: Joshua Hixson