Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Chaykin's "Hey Kid's! Comics!"

Don't know if anyone else read this. A very dark look at the history of comic creators, with thinly veiled real life characters. I knew many, but not all the people they were based on.
    Chaykin is still a innovative and skilled storyteller. But you do not put this book down and feel good about comics.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

I enjoyed it, to the extent that it's possible to "enjoy" such a depressing story. Chaykin seems to be making 1950s-era show business his bailiwick, with Satellite Sam, The Ruff and Reddy Show, and now this book, and he has a real feel for it, so the story will be well told. All the same, it will be disheartening, but hey, that's the way it was.

I've ordered mine and it's in the mail. I should be reading it soon. I'm a big fan of Howard Chaykin and I'm sure this will be cool

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Don't know if anyone else read this. A very dark look at the history of comic creators, with thinly veiled real life characters. I knew many, but not all the people they were based on.
    Chaykin is still a innovative and skilled storyteller. But you do not put this book down and feel good about comics.
    No one likes to see how sausage is made.

But Chaykin's talent is extraordinary. His focus on the mid 20th century and his abilities to present that time period so well are wonderful. I realized what was happening fairly soon into the first scene with the musical, but once I saw the time shifts, I knew I needed to do my homework.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

I expected this to be depressing, and so, haven't picked it up. Lived through, collected comics through this period, so perhaps I'll look into this title, but with so much that's depressing going on in life today, I'm just as likely to give it a pass. Hoping you who read it will continue to comment on it, and perhaps persuade me to check it out! [Really haven't much liked Chaykin's work since he left American Flagg...so forewarned!
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Will check out.

I had trouble getting through this issue. I was never sure what was going on and who was supposed to be who, with all the time jumps.
    My LCS had it bagged\boarded and flagged as adult material but then I read it and would say it's quite tame, like PG-13. No idea why.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by dishpan View Post
    My LCS had it bagged\boarded and flagged as adult material but then I read it and would say it's quite tame, like PG-13. No idea why.
    Likely is was on account of all the racism and ethnic slurs, which of course were omnipresent in the publishing industry (and everywhere else, for that matter) in the time periods spanned by the book.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dishpan View Post
    I had trouble getting through this issue. I was never sure what was going on and who was supposed to be who, with all the time jumps.
    that is a pretty fair assesment.

Incredible Member

Pussey was infinitely better telling of exactly the same story (so far at least).

This was very disappointing

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post

I did and posted about it as well. It is eh... Chaykin is feeling nostaligic. He always does but never focused on his career like this. I like the character that is Jack Kirby is always running out of the office with a cigar in his mouth.