Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Monyok Miclovan View Post
    Do we know how many issues this will be or we have no idea?
    Currently scheduled for 5 issues, last one should be out December 12th.
    Maybe more or a follow-up could occur if the book was successful, but I'm not reading it, nor do I know if it's selling well.

Quote Originally Posted by TotalSnorefest View Post
    Currently scheduled for 5 issues, last one should be out December 12th.
    Maybe more or a follow-up could occur if the book was successful, but I'm not reading it, nor do I know if it's selling well.
    A caption on the last panel said "THE END (with more to come)." I'm guessing something is at least planned and possible.

Issue five was another solid issue. The heartbreaking truth behind the comic business. I can see why many readers aren't interested in seeing the curtain pulled back. But I credit Chaykin for not pulling punches.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Issue five was another solid issue. The heartbreaking truth behind the comic business. I can see why many readers aren't interested in seeing the curtain pulled back. But I credit Chaykin for not pulling punches.
    Yeah, no one likes seeing the sausage being made, but we sure love consuming it. Chaykin sure didn't pull any punches and his thinly disguised characters remind us of some of the non-heroic actions the publishers of our heroes took. It was a history lesson and the George Santayana quote applies here. "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

And yet, despite how greed and envy got to many in this business, the ending managed to warm my heart. Although it didn't end with a fourth wall breaking wink, it still reminded us of why we read these damn things in the first place.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    A caption on the last panel said "THE END (with more to come)." I'm guessing something is at least planned and possible.
    Yeah, it seemed like this will be the end for now, but leaving the door open for possibly another mini series. Lord knows, there's more than enough material to mine.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Those of you who've been enjoying this might like another story of comics' early days, when black and white comics were facing the threat of WWII's end--and the return of color comics to Canada.
    Warbears, from Margaret Atwood and Ken Steacy, Dark Horse Comics. Not at all what one might guess from the covers!
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    Those of you who've been enjoying this might like another story of comics' early days, when black and white comics were facing the threat of WWII's end--and the return of color comics to Canada.
    Warbears, from Margaret Atwood and Ken Steacy, Dark Horse Comics. Not at all what one might guess from the covers!
    You're going to be one of those people, aren't you? Recommending great books and sending me off to get them and spend time reading them and always picking out something worth the trouble.

Incredible Member

Pussey is still my favourite comic history of comics. Really funny but totally brutal. Stan lee gets it with both barrels but then Clowes typically gives himself the harshest treatment of all.

Astonishing Member

I'll second that. War Bears just finished its 3-issue run, and even though I had no knowledge at all about the Canadian comic-book industry (even that it had existed!), I found it a really interesting and especially well told story.

Whoa-- hello, seismic-2. So glad others read and liked War Bears. Sooo....
    if you like stuff like this, you might like Tinsel Town, too. Just concluded its five issue story of Hollywood's first female police officer (fiction, based on reality).
    From Arcana Comics, I believe.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Is War Bears worth the hardcover price (I think $15.99 on Amazon), or should I hunt down individual issues (which I currently have NO idea of the difficulty of this right now)?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Is War Bears worth the hardcover price (I think $15.99 on Amazon), or should I hunt down individual issues (which I currently have NO idea of the difficulty of this right now)?
    A hardback edition of a 3-issue comic book seems excessive to me. Right now Comixology is selling all 3 issues for a total of $8.97.

Astonishing Member

if you like stuff like this, you might like Tinsel Town, too. Just concluded its five issue story of Hollywood's first female police officer (fiction, based on reality).
    From Arcana Comics, I believe.
    Close - it's from Alterna. I'll definitely check it out, since it sounds like the "noir" style of comics like Brubaker & Phillips' "The Fade Out", and I'm a fan of that genre. Thanks for the recommendation.

Arcana, Alterna, Ahoy... whew. But I should warn you I wouldn't call Tinsel Town "noir"--more, almost an 'adventure/love comic.' It's just that it's more firmly based in 'the real world' than not, much like War Bears and the original topic of this section, Hey Kids.

Anyone else pick up issue #1 for Volume 2 of this book?
    We see the origins of EC comics (GW) with Chaykin's stand-ins for Gaines, Kurtzman and Feldstein. Also we have Jeff Thomas-Jack Davis, Peter Vance-Wally Wood and Joel Pitkin-John Severin (I think, could be Will Elder)
    It's still a realistic retelling of the behind the scenes comic book history. Depressing, but always interesting. This is a necessary book, even if we don't want to see how badly our artistic heroes were treated.
    One of the things that is fun in this book is Chaykin's versions of real comics, like the EC line up or Archie. The pages of the Simon/Kirby (and others) are really well done.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 05-10-2021 at 08:06 PM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!