View Poll Results: Why is Superman your favorite superhero?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • His amazing powers!

3 10.71%
  • His humanity and inner qualities.

17 60.71%
  • His stories.

5 17.86%
  • His supporting characters.

3 10.71%

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Why is Superman your favorite superhero?

Why is Superman your favorite superhero? And if not favorite, Why do you like/love him?

Is it his powers? or his inner qualities as a person? His humanity? His stories? His whole supporting characters?

I've always been a big fan. He's my fave superhero and my fave fictional character of all time. I'll expand later.

Attachment 69180
    Attachment 69181
    Last edited by stargazer01; 08-09-2018 at 08:39 AM.

Master Hero Vladimir

Superman is an excellent example of a simple, straightforward hero being a multifaceted, nuanced and properly developed character. Superman never stops trying to improve himself and his best stories are the ones that showcase his optimism and good nature (All-Star Superman, the Jurgens/Tomasi era).

BANNED

I'm all for the creative stories, but I connect with Clark and what he stands for in the world in a very spiritual sense.

Astonishing Member

Superman is just a great guy. He is one of the most powerful beings around but chooses to use his powers to help others rather than himself. For most of his life he was unique but he doesn't view this as a burden. He chooses his own path. Unlike a lot of heroes he is motivated by altruism and not tragedy.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I get the idea of breaking them up, but while I picked story, it's really the story of his personality in the context of his powers and cast. He's my favorite because he has it all. Like a far older and disproportionately more prolific superhero equivalent to the Simpsons.

His character... what can you even say with so much already said and shown over 80 years. He's subdued and sweet hearted, but absolutely unwilling to let ethics dictate his spirit. He's altruistic and completely unyielding to the way of justice, even when what's right actually means standing down or retreating. With that core, it doesn't matter if he acts sassy or confused, is a big lug or a feisty millennial. He's Superman, and once you start cheering for him as a reader you are rewarded by seeing him prove himself to be the best guy. He's the good guy.

His powers kickstarted this whole genre and make him unstoppable. To that end, I don't care if he's knocked out by a grenade or can withstand the force of time travel. I love that there really wasn't any guidance, he just learned to be the best in secret and went out as the best. The writers are thankfully elegant when it comes to describing his true power, his astonishing will. He can be unpowered facing supervillains or all-powerful in the face of street corruption, and he finds a way to fight.

Oh and for the supporting cast, just as an example, I happened to pull out the Dematteis Adventures run from the 580s and found Satanus coinciding with Ron getting married to Lucy. That was his boss at one point and by then they had both gone back well about 100 issues in that same volume! Never mind Rampage and Thorn even showed up. Metropolis is great.

BANNED

Becaues he is the best father in the entertainment world.