View Poll Results: Do you want to see a prequel to Kingdom Come?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

3 13.04%
  • No.

16 69.57%
  • Not sure.

4 17.39%
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default Should DC do a prequel to Kingdom Come?

And if so, what would you like to see in it? If not, why not?
    Assassinate Putin!

Only with creative team from the original. If not, then no.

Why would it need one?

It doesn't really need it, and it has a self contained back story.

However Ross, Krueger, and Braithwaite's Justice can somewhat be taken as the prequel to Kingdom Come, as this was the world and heroes they had lost to a more dark cynical modern era that followed.

If they can get Ross back (he'd have to pitch a story to a proper writer, not sure if Waid would be on-board again) , maybe there is a story to tell bridging the two.
    It's somewhat hinted at in KC, as the events and coming of new attitude and vision of "heroes" that people want as grim-dark cynical vigilantes.
    The prequel would pretty much lead to the world Superman walks away from at the start of KC, and what pushes Batman toward creating his "Outsiders" network, and Luthor the "Mankind Liberation Front".

Someone (caj) suggested in the Justice thread that the Mr.Mind worms used by Braniac and Lex in Justice, could be a connective element. Although the League appear to be free of them, there could be one secretly left, used as how they eventually slowly controlled "grown up" Billy Batson.
    And it's his apparent fall or corruption that would symbolize the transition story between Justice and where we find him (and the world) in Kingdom come.

Ross himself played with a bit of a visual mirroring in that narrative.
    --->

As well as the fate of J'onn J'onzz, what exactly was the circumstances that he exposed himself to the collective human thought that wrecked him.
    If Mr. Mind is taping into and exploiting the most heinous aspect of the human psyche, J'onnz opening himself up to that could have destroyed him.

Further exploring how the Flashes became one energy being
    The disappearance of Jordan and Scott (and daughter jade) taking on the more cosmic protectors GL aspect.
    The rise of Ibn al Xu'ffasch and more.
    Last edited by Güicho; 12-21-2018 at 06:35 AM.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Bring back Mark Waid and Alex Ross and I'd be there in a heartbeat.
    Of course, there's more chance of me becoming President of the United States.

That said, Kingdom Come was a perfect self contained story and doesn't need sequels or prequels.
    Case in point: Before Watchmen and The Kingdom (I must admit, I didn't mind this one, but it doesn't compare to its predecessor.)
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Yeah, I consider it a 'Not sure'.

First of all, all the current DC continuity is meant to be the 'prequel' of the future story that was kingdom Come.... Secondly, I consider Justice to be a direct spiritual prequel.

So really, either we have one, or everything is one..

Astonishing Member

Ross' story was an indictment of the 90's trends in heroes. Waid took Ross' story and polished it up into what we got. I don't think even if you got Waid and Ross to agree to a project they could capture the Kingdom Come lightning again. It was too much a combination of the times and Ross working through his own ideas about comics for the first time.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    Ross' story was an indictment of the 90's trends in heroes. Waid took Ross' story and polished it up into what we got. I don't think even if you got Waid and Ross to agree to a project they could capture the Kingdom Come lightning again. It was too much a combination of the times and Ross working through his own ideas about comics for the first time.
    This, and frankly the world before would need to be optimistic for the juxtaposition of the public's reaction to Joker's death and subsequent new age of violent his heroes to land in KC. The big turnover already happens in KC, so arguably the prequel is any old silver age reprints you can find. Doing a book in between the Joker's death and Superman returning makes more sense, but I think the work is wonderful as is and better left untouched.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Why would it need one?
    It doesn't really need one but there are some characters whose backstories are...confusing. Like Flash. Is he all the different Flash's merged together? His primary identity seems to be Wally. Though it's not initially stated in the book. And Green Lantern. Why did he merge with his lantern? Superman seems to be about the only character we get a backstory on. It is a good stand alone story but I just wondered if there was any backstory to how some of these characters got to be the way they are. It's a cast of a dozen or so characters but we only learn about the histories of a handful of them. My main interest was in finding out how they ended up in the states they are in.
    Assassinate Putin!

Extraordinary Member

I voted 'Not Sure'.

Not sure I want it but if Waid and Ross did it, I'd sure buy it and read it.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Prequels, just like sequels, tend to be a bit hit-and-miss for me so I'm not sure if it'd be a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    ...I consider Justice to be a direct spiritual prequel.
    Although it's pretty much become his signature, another connective theme was revisiting this layout for the promotional art...

Last edited by Güicho; 12-22-2018 at 08:29 AM.