Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Which news or media sources are more reliable based on political stances?

Another question for this forum regarding politics.

For the left-leaning people on this site: What newspapers and other news or media sources do you guys trust more or regularly read that is more conservative or right-leaning in their stance? What left-leaning news or media sources do you consider LEAST trustworthy and why?

For the right-leaning people on this site: What newspapers or other news or media sources do you guys trust more or regularly read that is more liberal or right-leaning in their stance? What right-leaning news or media sources do you consider LEAST trustworthy and why?

Bonus: Which newspaper or news/media sources do you consider in your opinion to be the most trustworthy, reliable, and least biased in the world?

Incredible Member

This graphic is a popular guide:

--
    The discussion forum for fans of 20th-century comics: http://classiccomics.org

Incredible Member

Double post
    --
    The discussion forum for fans of 20th-century comics: http://classiccomics.org

YouTube is the only trustworthy news.

From the conservative side, National Review is generally reliable as a source for good-faith arguments. They're affiliated with a podcast network Ricochet. Mad Dogs and Englishmen, the Editors, the Ricochet weekly podcast, Three Martini Lunch (daily fifteen minute edition), Jonah Goldberg's Remnant serious of interviews and the GLOP podcast generally seem honest. They're biased in that they reflect the worldview of the contributors, but that's typically the case.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Though I have favorites, as a general rule, if I was doing serious research, There are a large number of sources I would review. I use my Twitter Account as a News Feed. I follow many different news sources.

Not sure that I agree entirely with the chart posted above. One thing to note about most news sources is that they usually vary based on who the is behind each individual story or who is in front of the camera. You have to take each story, each news report, then compare it to other sources covering the same topic.

Columnists and Opinion writers are what they are. You may like some, dislike others, but most News Media sources offer a diverse enough collection of voices to choose from.

There are a few that are on the fringes, and some I wouldn't even consider to be news sources. The graph does point some of that out. Though, in my opinion, the ones on the far left mostly just focus on re-reporting news that is already out there, originally from other sources, if that news is favorable to Left views and against the Right. They may shade or cheery pick, but are less likely to lie.They have little reason to do so.

The far Right, however, has more of an issue with the Truth. RT, for example, is primarily Russian Propaganda. As such, be wary of what they report. Infor Wars shouldn't even be on the graph because there is nothing close to news on it. Fox News should be split in two. One channel for actual news, with journalists like Shepard Smith. Another that is more commentary/talk show with people like Sean Hannity.

If they did that, I'd watch the actual news even if it leans right.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Fox News should be split in two. One channel for actual news, with journalists like Shepard Smith. Another that is more commentary/talk show with people like Sean Hannity.

If they did that, I'd watch the actual news even if it leans right.
    Shepard Smith is OK. I've seen him push back against Trump now and again.

Another aspect of how far left or right an organization is is what they don't report on, also.

Many on the right considered MSM sources other than FAUX to be too far left because they didn't report as much (if at all) on stories like Benghazi, Uranium One, Clinton body bags, Pizzagate, etc. (which Republicans and a legion of gullible Green Party rubes fell for with equally incredible ease).
    Pull List: Barbaric,DC Black Label,Dept. of Truth,Fire Power,Hellboy,Saga,Something is Killing the Children,Terryverse,Usagi Yojimbo.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

These days.. it seems like the only thing I really "trust" is Snopes

BANNED

One thing I know is never trust Fox News, they lie all day and night.

Astonishing Member

NPR, AP, or media outlets that exist outside the US.

Everything else, outside of a few tech-based sites, I find heavily suspect.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by 4saken1 View Post
    Shepard Smith is OK. I've seen him push back against Trump now and again.

Another aspect of how far left or right an organization is is what they don't report on, also.

Many on the right considered MSM sources other than FAUX to be too far left because they didn't report as much (if at all) on stories like Benghazi, Uranium One, Clinton body bags, Pizzagate, etc. (which Republicans and a legion of gullible Green Party rubes fell for with equally incredible ease).
    Fox's actual anchors like Shepard Smith, Chris Wallace and Bret Baier would still be considered to have a right wing slant but if it was just them, you likely wouldn't have the whole Fox is pure propaganda thing you have now. Their issue is you have The Five, Outnumbered, Fox and Friends, Hannity, Laura Ingraham which are essentially just opinion based spin shows that make up most of their programming and are nothing but disingenuous bs arguments. And it's telling which brand of media outnumbers the other. Which is why I can never take Fox seriously. It's only utility is really just to see what slant the right wing ill take on various issues for debate purposes.

The chart Rob Allen posted is generally what I've experienced. AP and CSPAN are the two benchmarks for pure high quality and being right down the line with no true bias. Then you want to look at BBC, NPR, Forbes, WSJ, and Politico. They'll have biases but it's very light and they have incredibly reliable reporting.

The three major cable networks CNN/Fox/MSNBC are favorites among those who follow politics, but they are really just garden variety tripe that exists to get ratings and play insider ball. They have a handful of good journalists but even they have biases that are a bit harder to ignore. Fox is the most blatant and least factual. MSNBC wishes it was the left version of Fox and CNN is trying so hard to have it's cake and eat it too.

So happy to see the Huffington Post pretty much being the left equivalent to the Blaze. It used to be half decent but it became trash as soon as Arianna Huffington left. It's like they said **** it. It's so bad.

And lol at where InfoWars is.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

I don't fully trust any media when it comes to political stances, left or right as they're both as bad as each other IMO, whether that's ''social media'' or mainstream media. I keep up with the news but I don't trust them.

Anyways, that's just a brief summary of my POV.

We lost Gwen, God rest her soul but Judy is still there every night.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Fox's actual anchors like Shepard Smith, Chris Wallace and Bret Baier would still be considered to have a right wing slant but if it was just them, you likely wouldn't have the whole Fox is pure propaganda thing you have now. Their issue is you have The Five, Outnumbered, Fox and Friends, Hannity, Laura Ingraham which are essentially just opinion based spin shows that make up most of their programming and are nothing but disingenuous bs arguments. And it's telling which brand of media outnumbers the other. Which is why I can never take Fox seriously. It's only utility is really just to see what slant the right wing ill take on various issues for debate purposes.
    I can't remember where I saw it, but a few years ago I watched something on how shows like Hannity and O'Reilly (at the time) will 'report' on something, then have a segment spoonfeeding the audience their opinion. Afterwards, the nightly News segment would come on with Brit Hume or Chris Wallace and they would conduct a poll on the very topic which Hannity or O'Reilly just covered. Naturally, since a large portion of the audience watched both segments, the results of these poll would always be skewed towards what the talking heads were relaying, but the 'News' anchor would still report on them as if the results were an accurate representation of how Americans felt on the given subject.
    Pull List: Barbaric,DC Black Label,Dept. of Truth,Fire Power,Hellboy,Saga,Something is Killing the Children,Terryverse,Usagi Yojimbo.

As far as which news organizations that I trust - AP, NPR, BBC, and Al Jazeera. I'm sure from time to time they have all made mistakes, but for the most part they strive to be accurate in their reporting.

I enjoy watching MSNBC, even though I know they are left leaning.

Other news and statistical sources that often have insightful information are The Hill, WSJ, NYT, Politico, FiveThirtyEight, Snopes, Politifact, and the Economist.