Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
    This graphic is a popular guide:

Interesting chart. I'm actually kinda pleased to see that Buzzfeed is at the Garbage Left and Near Low Quality and that Info Wars is the same for the Right.

I have to curiously ask though. What does this board think of Buzzfeed, Huffington Post, and the Young Turks in general? Are there anything you guys disagree with them on? What are other Leftist sources that you think belong on far bottom reaches of both the Garbage-Left section and the Poor Quality section?

I have a love hate with The Young Turks. I was a big fan in college and I still probably agree with their points more often than not but over the course of the last several years they’ve gotten super whiny. There are some regulars who I enjoy and What the Flick is one of my go to film shows, but I have trouble getting through the main show.

My go to for News commentary is The Atlantic. It leans left and there’s a bit of confirmation bias there but they are often very insightful in their prose.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Fomble View Post
    Interesting chart. I'm actually kinda pleased to see that Buzzfeed is at the Garbage Left and Near Low Quality and that Info Wars is the same for the Right.

I have to curiously ask though. What does this board think of Buzzfeed, Huffington Post, and the Young Turks in general? Are there anything you guys disagree with them on? What are other Leftist sources that you think belong on far bottom reaches of both the Garbage-Left section and the Poor Quality section?
    I think RT is more left leaning than it is presented on the charts and deserves to be further towards the bottom. They're not as bad as Info Wars, though. I think for the most part, RT presents information that is technically true, but often skew it so badly to the point that it is misleading. They don't present their audiences with enough alternate viewpoints with legitimate critiques.
    Pull List: Barbaric,DC Black Label,Dept. of Truth,Fire Power,Hellboy,Saga,Something is Killing the Children,Terryverse,Usagi Yojimbo.

Invincible Member

Beyond local news, I actually find myself listening to mostly BBC and occasionally PBS News.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Fomble View Post

The Huffington Post was really great once and had interesting articles with a clear left bias, but also maintained a level of integrity. It became sensationalist crap and it's only gotten worse. Doesn't even attempt to hide it anymore. There primary headline is always a joke and trying to hard for clicks. They really have no ability to be remotely bias. I've said it before on here, but if Trump or anyone in the Republican party does anything that can remotely be viewed as positive, they will undoubtedly have an article telling you why you really shouldn't care too much about it and that it's not really as good as it seems. It's just blatant propaganda. I think it is very appropriately placed between hyper partisan and garbage.

TYT is a little better, but they have the same sensationalist streak. The thing is they will at times try to be legitimate in their assessment of people they disagree with, even if they have to grit their teeth to do it. Also while they have a bias, they try to approach things far more genuinely. Honestly, Cenk is the only real albatross there because he sometimes can't separate his emotions from an issue and is getting more stubborn every day. Everyone else is far more measured and tolerable. I'd almost rather Cenk leave and just be a shill for MSNBC and be there new Ed Schultz so they can get someone like the Secular Talks guy to take his place. Would instantly improve it.

Buzzfeed is borderline clickbait

Mostly read NYTimes and watch CNN. NYTimes has an air of liberal elitism, but it can be well-rounded. Their articles usually start off with something that leans to the left but usually present something that leans to the right towards the middle or end of the article. Plus some of their articles are real high quality stuff. (I'm also a sucker for their Vows and Weddings section. I'm a hopeless romantic ).

CNN definitely leans left, but not as much as MSNBC. At times, it can be nothing but a non-stop Trump-hate fest, but it can have nonbias as well. I like Chris Cuomo's show.

Definitely know I should read more WSJ, Forbes, or The Economist.

As for the chart, I kinda disagree with Vox having low quality. I haven't read many of their articles, but their YouTube reports are highly informative and well-down.

In terms of the Chinese media, yeah, I"m pretty lazy. I mostly read articles from SCMP. It used to be Hong Kong focused, but after its purchase by Alibaba, it covers more Mainland China topics and is more favorable to the mainland. Gotta balance it out with Freepresshk.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Beyond local news, I actually find myself listening to mostly BBC and occasionally PBS News.
    If that's the case then let me introduce you to Monocle Radio. You can subscribe to their podcasts in itunes. Monocle is run out of London and is very much like the BBC, but way more in depth. They're left leaning. But have no qualms about calling out those on the left when they do something wrong/stupid. I like them because I find it proffessional and intelligent. It's a great source for news around the world.

I've actually ceased listening to our public broadcaster in Canada because I find the coverage on Monocle 100 times better.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Mostly read NYTimes and watch CNN. NYTimes has an air of liberal elitism, but it can be well-rounded. Their articles usually start off with something that leans to the left but usually present something that leans to the right towards the middle or end of the article. Plus some of their articles are real high quality stuff. (I'm also a sucker for their Vows and Weddings section. I'm a hopeless romantic ).

CNN definitely leans left, but not as much as MSNBC. At times, it can be nothing but a non-stop Trump-hate fest, but it can have nonbias as well. I like Chris Cuomo's show.

Definitely know I should read more WSJ, Forbes, or The Economist.

As for the chart, I kinda disagree with Vox having low quality. I haven't read many of their articles, but their YouTube reports are highly informative and well-down.

In terms of the Chinese media, yeah, I"m pretty lazy. I mostly read articles from SCMP. It used to be Hong Kong focused, but after its purchase by Alibaba, it covers more Mainland China topics and is more favorable to the mainland. Gotta balance it out with Freepresshk.
    Nice response, but what about the Huffington Post and Young Turks? Can anyone else list some other uber garbage-left low-quality Leftist sources (cause I feel like listing Rightist sources are too easy)?

Mighty Member

I prefer my news sources to be biased.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    If that's the case then let me introduce you to Monocle Radio. You can subscribe to their podcasts in itunes. Monocle is run out of London and is very much like the BBC, but way more in depth. They're left leaning. But have no qualms about calling out those on the left when they do something wrong/stupid. I like them because I find it proffessional and intelligent. It's a great source for news around the world.

I've actually ceased listening to our public broadcaster in Canada because I find the coverage on Monocle 100 times better.
    Thanks for the tip!

AP, NPR, BBC, Al Jazeera, WaPo, NY Times and the Guardian are my go tos

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
    This graphic is a popular guide:

That chart is awesome - but too American for where I live.

Do you know if there's a British equivalent?

Though I've just noticed the BBC is on there an inexplicably listed as "leans left".
    Last edited by dancj; 08-22-2018 at 04:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    These days.. it seems like the only thing I really "trust" is Snopes
    Snopes is good. My first stop whenever I'm doubtful of a "fact" quoted on the internet - but they did falsely try to claim that Mr Ed was a zebra.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Then you want to look at BBC, NPR, Forbes, WSJ, and Politico. They'll have biases but it's very light and they have incredibly reliable reporting.
    BBC is where I go for my non-comics, non-tech, non-board-game news. I find them pretty good, but I have a couple of friends who regularly rant on Facebook about how biased they are in favour of the Tories.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    That chart is awesome - but too American for where I live.

Do you know if there's a British equivalent?

Though I've just noticed the BBC is on there an inexplicably listed as "leans left".
    America is much further right than most of Europe. BBC is probably left in American discourse