Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Idris Elba strongly considered to be next James Bond by producers

This seems like awesome news.

https://www.esquire.com/entertainmen...rs-idris-elba/

Director Antoine Fuqua revealed the details of a conversation with Bond producer Barbara Broccoli, in which she said "it is time" for a non-white actor to take on the iconic role. Fuqua discussed who might be next in the running with Broccoli, who's certain the progressive move "will happen eventually", with Idris Elba a reported frontrunner for the role.

He's too old to start being Bond. He'll be 46 in a few weeks and he'd be 47 by the time they start shooting. Older than Roger Moore when he started, and he looked younger than his years to begin with. Idris looks his age. He's not too old to be Bond, but he's too old to start, and they'll need some who can do at least three films.

He Wouldn't work for me as Bond I'd rather him be in a new spy movie.

Only real complaint would be that I think Henry Cavill should be the next bond. Man From Uncle and MI6 really show he could be amazing at it and is the right age to start. Elba is not a bad choice, only problem is like Indian Ink said he isn't too old right now but he is too old to start playing bond.If this was for a bond filming next year he would be a good choice but with Craig being in a movie next year, Elba is going to be at least 47, and that would be if they start shooting immediately after Craig's finishes filming and out of respect to Craig I think there is no way they would announce a new bond before the movie is well out of theaters and has been on blu ray a while. Which would mean most likely Elba would be 48 or 49 before any bond with him in it would be filming. At best he could have a Timothy Dalton type run of 2 movies otherwise you fall into the laughable sort of Bond movies where the actor is way past the right age for the character. Unless Elba has the ability to be in Tom Cruise type shape in his 50's nobody over the age of 50 should be playing Bond in my opinion.
    "You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged"- CAPT. Picard

It occurred to me just now, that this might a cynical move by the producers to get around the SJW and 'Me Too' movement supporters. If they make Bond a non white race, then it would take the wind out (or even reverse the wind) of the sails of those whom might complain about a sexist old white dude character killing people and having casual sex with woman around the world. "Bond is black!! Yay!!!" If they make him, say Black, then they'll feel less required to cut back on Bond's original character and actions. Possibly even removing those tiresome in film comments about Bond being a "misogynist dinosaur."

So under some consideration, making James Bond another race is a great idea.

Double post

I do think that whoever ends up in the bond role after Craig has their work cut out for them. Craig has been absolutely amazing in the role and will be extremely hard to follow . That along with the fact that the Mission Impossible movies have really raised the bar for spy flick. Whoever it ends up being they have a lot to live up to.
    "You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged"- CAPT. Picard

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Indian Ink View Post
    It occurred to me just now, that this might a cynical move by the producers to get around the SJW and 'Me Too' movement supporters. If they make Bond a non white race, then it would take the wind out (or even reverse the wind) of the sails of those whom might complain about a sexist old white dude character killing people and having casual sex with woman around the world. "Bond is black!! Yay!!!" If they make him, say Black, then they'll feel less required to cut back on Bond's original character and actions. Possibly even removing those tiresome in film comments about Bond being a "misogynist dinosaur."

So under some consideration, making James Bond another race is a great idea.
    I think you need to loom up what cynical means. Because your post is the textbook definition of cynical.

Also, being a social justice warrior is, by definition, a good thing, Me Too is hardly a bad thing.

I think he'd be a pretty darn cool James Bond.

But I do wonder if it wouldn't be smarter to get a younger actor whom they could get more milage out of.

Incredible Member

Too old and James Bond has always been Caucasian. If the studio wants him to play 007 (or 001-009) that's fine, he's a great actor. They could explore the rest of the 00 agents. I just don't like the studio veering too far from the established norm.

[getting ready for hate flashback]

Incredible Member

Too old and James Bond has always been Caucasian. If the studio wants him to play 007 (or 001-009) that's fine, he's a great actor. They could explore the rest of the 00 agents. I just don't like the studio veering too far from the established norm.

[getting ready for hate flashback]

Quote Originally Posted by regg215 View Post
    I do think that whoever ends up in the bond role after Craig has their work cut out for them. Craig has been absolutely amazing in the role and will be extremely hard to follow . That along with the fact that the Mission Impossible movies have really raised the bar for spy flick. Whoever it ends up being they have a lot to live up to.
    In the last movie he kinda phoned it in it just didn't seem like he's interested unlike say skyfall.

I wouldn't mind it though I'd like to see Henry Cavill get James Bond. But Elba could work and the age factor is almost meaningless. He could do three of them and be done before he's 55. I think James Bond can work well as a middle-aged veteran as Sean Connery proved. Obviously, he wouldn't be someone just getting his 00 in the first movie like Danial Craig. He'd already be a veteran.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by regg215 View Post
    In the last movie he kinda phoned it in it just didn't seem like he's interested unlike say skyfall.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    I think you need to loom up what cynical means. Because your post is the textbook definition of cynical.

Also, being a social justice warrior is, by definition, a good thing, Me Too is hardly a bad thing.
    Yes. That doesn't mean I'm not right. In fact if I had my money invested in the studios I'd definitely want them to be cynical. Especially with the big budget movies anyway. I'd want the producers to be looking for as much profit as possible. I certainly wouldn't want them to sink big money into new directions just because it might be the fair or moral thing to do. That's a way to potentially run a studio into the ground

Social Justice Warrior and Me Too are just causes by general intention, but it doesn't mean all actions by supporters will be faultless. My mention of them is only as a present force in the media.