Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fantastic Member Red Robe Jaldari's Avatar

Default Why couldn't half of ESPN programming be scripted tv series that sports related?

or had been?

Product i getting churned out 24/7, we have more scripted tv than ever. ESPN could hav e a profit sharing scheme with other networks because they still bring a sports loving audience that is in evbery home?

I henestly don't think the 24/7 studio shows about Lebron's vowardice or bravery, who is the best quarterback all time is the healthiest thing for the sport. Nothing wrong with reducing that a bit.

We will see how Disney streaming will go. So i guess it's alsop a question for the past.

Extraordinary Member

They found that it's probably cheaper to have two guys arguing on a set than to have an actual show.

Thank god they haven't. If they had gone in that direction they might have wound up like MTV, History Channel, or TLC.

In truth live sports is actually some of the most valuable tv at the moment, it's one of the few things people will actually watch when it's on rather than stream it later. So ESPN's far more likely to try and fill air time with more actual sports (or sport like events see gaming) than any actual scripted shows.

In terms of streaming they debuted ESPN+ earlier this year, and it fits the above model. Buying the rights to as much live sports (mls, championship, serie a, FIBA) as possible.
    Last edited by Kusanagi; 08-26-2018 at 08:29 AM.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    Thank god they haven't. If they had gone in that direction they might have wound up like MTV, History Channel, or TLC.

In truth live sports is actually some of the most valuable tv at the moment, it's one of the few things people will actually watch when it's on rather than stream it later. So ESPN's far more likely to try and fill air time with more actual sports (or sport like events see gaming) than any actual scripted shows.

In terms of streaming they debuted ESPN+ earlier this year, and it fits the above model. Buying the rights to as much live sports (mls, championship, serie a, FIBA) as possible.
    Where do they get time in that case for all those talking head shows?

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

That is how is started with MTV back in the day. Within a few years the channel went from being a cultural trend setter to being a sad joke only watched by tweens. ESPN already does some other types of shows like the excellent 30 For 30 docs. No one who watches ESPN wants to watch a scripted series. If the network thought they did they would be playing things like reruns of Friday Night Lights or something already.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Robe Jaldari View Post
    Where do they get time in that case for all those talking head shows?
    Unless they start purchasing the rights to Asian or Australian sports the mornings and weekdays are always going to be free. There's no sense in creating scripted shows when they would be forced to air them at times when most of their audience is at work or school. Talking heads fills that role in a much cheaper fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    That is how is started with MTV back in the day. Within a few years the channel went from being a cultural trend setter to being a sad joke only watched by tweens. ESPN already does some other types of shows like the excellent 30 For 30 docs. No one who watches ESPN wants to watch a scripted series. If the network thought they did they would be playing things like reruns of Friday Night Lights or something already.
    Like the most high profile sports commentary is not scripted. At least a tv series are upfront about it.

Unless they start purchasing the rights to Asian or Australian sports the mornings and weekdays are always going to be free. There's no sense in creating scripted shows when they would be forced to air them at times when most of their audience is at work or school. Talking heads fills that role in a much cheaper fashion.
    I don't think allowing idiots say whatever and players being forced to take it is the best PR move.

Like the most high profile sports commentary is not scripted. At least a tv series are upfront about it.

I don't think allowing idiots say whatever and players being forced to take it is the best PR move.
    eh idiots saying whatever and players taking it existed long before ESPN, it was just confined to sports radio/newspapers. It's not like the talking heads are new either, PTI is almost 20 years in at this point. If ESPN did get rid of the talking heads, they'd be more likely to revert to how they were in the 90s, namely Sportscenter replayed for about 12 hours a day.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

ESPN did try it's hand at scripted drama in 2003 with Playermakers. It was very successful but only lasted one season because the NFL forced them to cancel it. They hated how the show portrayed the negative aspects of the fictional league and the players off field. They actually threatened to pull their content from ESPN if they didn't kill the show. This is probably why they haven't had another scripted drama since.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    ESPN is not MTV in the 80's or 90's. And being honest, MTV was screwed once the internet came into play. It would not exist right now without shows like the Real World, Laguna Beach/Hills, the Challenge Teen Mom. If those weren't around it would have died once it became easier to go on Youtube than it was to wait for MTV to play a video lol.

Like I said, ESPN is not that. They are effectively the CNN/FOX/MSNBC of sports news. Sportcenter with serious coverage then a bunch of talking head opinion shows. 30 for 30 is the only valued programming they have right now. Oh and ESPN is dying

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Anyone who wants serious sports news will not go to ESPN for it. They deliberately avoid reporting on any controversial story so they won't piss off their League overlords. You will be better off going to a place like Deadspin who ain't chickenshits.

eh idiots saying whatever and players taking it existed long before ESPN, it was just confined to sports radio/newspapers. It's not like the talking heads are new either, PTI is almost 20 years in at this point. If ESPN did get rid of the talking heads, they'd be more likely to revert to how they were in the 90s, namely Sportscenter replayed for about 12 hours a day.
    The optics change in a society with a mass Internet.

I was not suggesting Sportscenter 12 hours a day.

The optics change in a society with a mass Internet.

I was not suggesting Sportscenter 12 hours a day.
    Oh I'm not saying you were, I'm just saying if ESPN decided to get rid of talking heads it wouldn't be scripted shows that replaced it as they are costly.

BANNED

Oh I'm not saying you were, I'm just saying if ESPN decided to get rid of talking heads it wouldn't be scripted shows that replaced it as they are costly.
    Yes, they'd be more likely to replace talking heads with sports-themed reality and game shows.

Look at how much sports rights cost. They had money.