Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I wonder if this would also mean another continuity reset, or the Elba films would keep the current supporting cast (Fiennes, Harris,Whishaw and Kineer).
    The Craig films were a continuity reset while keeping the main part of the supporting cast (Densch)

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Craig himself nearly quit due to his age as well. As he debated coming back past age 50 for this next Bond film. He cited the physical shape and toll it takes on him to do these films. Now take in mind the next Bond film is due in 2019. It will be his last one , but he will be 51 by this point. To get another Bond film into production (it usually takes 2-3 years ...this last one took 3 years to get into production to shoot) Elba would be 48/49 by the time he got a Bond film shot.

Now with Craiq he was 35 when he started as Bond. They did 4 films through 2015 and this last one has had him debate coming back. The reason they went younger was to have someone who could do a number of sequels needed in franchise. To do this Elba would have to be into his 60's to keep doing Bond if he did 3 films.

In all I wish Elba was in his 30's , so he could do the role. But with Bond I feel they will cast a mid 30's actor and let him do the role for the next decade through 3-5 movies again.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Retiring James Bond altogether and going with the latest 007 who is not James Bond could work although I suspect that might take more flack than having him be black. Saying James Bond has traditionally been white is all well and good but he also traditionally was not blond. So what's the issue?
    Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    I think that's a horrible idea as it devalues the idea of Bond altogether. If the producers have got an actor who they feel is right for the part and who they want to work with they will probably just go with him, regardless of ethnicity. Felix Leiter is a white character who is played by a black actor - no overcomplicated explanation is needed for the audience to grasp that movies aren't real and don't need a slavishly literal interpretation.
    They tried the "make the role generic" approach with Jason Bourne. Worked.... insufficiently.

On one hand, I can see how fans are screaming "OMG! Not My Bond!" On the other, I'm not sure if any of us whose patriotic tune isn't God Save The Queen have a right to get our knickers in a twist. Fleming's creation is a quintessentially British icon, and The UK looks a lot different than it did when Ian unleashed his fantasy self-image on the world 65 years ago.

On the business side, I don't think it would work. Too many of the people that pay for movies aren't going to see a Bond that's that far out of their image of the character, and Elba is on the wrong side of the AARP Divide for the role.

On the artistic side, I don't think it works. A lot of Bond's power lies in his role as an echo of The Glorious British Empire, which has long since passed. That empire didn't have room for tactically and sexually powerful men of color.

Still, I'd say try it. The world is different now, and I could be wrong about my business and artistic points. Plus, we have multiple data points suggesting Bond can survive one unsuccessful film. So why not gamble?

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    The Craig films were a continuity reset while keeping the main part of the supporting cast (Densch)
    Ya but it was more of a soft reboot but really I never did put to much stock in Bond continuity for me it's all fits more or less like I consider the new blowflid to just be a guy inspired by the old one.

I don't doubt it. There's this phenomenon where the people at the studios brainstorm and throw onto the table the name of any and every actor they can think of for a role with most of them being people who were never seriously considered. But then fans pick up on the namedropping and it becomes a "fact" that this or that person is going to play a character. I still remember how it was a "fact" that David Boreanaz was going to be playing Superman in SR.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Ya but it was more of a soft reboot but really I never did put to much stock in Bond continuity for me it's all fits more or less like I consider the new blowflid to just be a guy inspired by the old one.
    I can't consider it a soft reboot because, as far as I know, it eliminates all the previous movies, doesn't just update them to more recently and it's hard to consider it a soft reboot when your taking a guy whose career started in around 1960 or even the 1950s and saying he is starting in the 21st century. That just creates too many differences.

Connery/ Lazenby/ Moore I could accept. Even Dalton's Bond was starting to be a stretch but could be a soft reboot. Brosnan's you could accept as a soft reboot. But Craig's I just don't accept as such. It's a hard reboot to my way of thinking.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I can't consider it a soft reboot because, as far as I know, it eliminates all the previous movies, doesn't just update them to more recently and it's hard to consider it a soft reboot when your taking a guy whose career started in around 1960 or even the 1950s and saying he is starting in the 21st century. That just creates too many differences.

Connery/ Lazenby/ Moore I could accept. Even Dalton's Bond was starting to be a stretch but could be a soft reboot. Brosnan's you could accept as a soft reboot. But Craig's I just don't accept as such. It's a hard reboot to my way of thinking.
    All the bond movies are set in a floating timeline of sorts.

I wish the copyright had expired for James Bond like it has for Sherlock Homes. Craig's Bond was a reboot, as he was just getting his 00 licence to Kill in his first film. So now, emotively at least for me, it may as well be a free for all, as the original Bond is no longer there.
    If the copyright had expired, we'd have a chance of someone putting Bond back in his true home of the British cold war 1950's and 60's.

I am going to quote master Yoda. He is too OLD.

That would be cool, love that actor.

Now, i'm not going to pretend that i'm really a fan of those movies but him as Bond would be a serious plus as far as i'm concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    That would be cool, love that actor.

Now, i'm not going to pretend that i'm really a fan of those movies but him as Bond would be a serious plus as far as i'm concerned.
    If he is bond. he will get a trilogy limit. Though now I think of it, having an older wiser bond might be a refreshing change. Batman in The Dark Knight Returns.

Fantastic Member Red Robe Jaldari's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    I think he deserves the role as he earned the part given his past acting roles. So YES to Idris Elba being James Bond.
    What does that mean?

Someone can project enough charisma and make the dialogue work or someone does not. Seniority has jack to do with it.

Although Dench was retained, in the Craig continuity she's the one who first promotes Bond, and of course Skyfall makes it clear that Bond hasn't met Moneypenny yet (although there might've been another "Q").

The M introduced in Goldeneye is pretty much intended/implied to be a replacement for Robert Brown's, with Bond and Tanner still adjusting to her.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Mighty Member

That's too bad, I was hoping this was true.