Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Thinking of getting rid of....

We have a latest orders, a what are you reading now thread, so I thought I’d start a what are you getting rid of thread, as I seem to be getting rid of more books than I’m buying now, post stuff you are thinking of selling or giving away and the reasons why.

Just sold Hellblazer vols 1 to 19, hugely disappointed, the first comic I ever bought but was remembered through rose coloured glasses apart from the Carey stuff at the end, none of it lived up to the memories.

Next to get rid of, toying with the idea of getting rid of my Valiant books, I’m not really enjoying them any more and I can’t put my finger on why, I still have couple wrapped that I haven’t read (eternal warrior, A & A on the way) which may rekindle my interest but I’m not holding my breath
    Last edited by Hellboydce; 08-09-2018 at 09:41 PM.

Maybe it sounds silly, but I'd worry about a conceptually "negative" thread hanging around on a common basis. I'd hope it would be more banter than complaining.

It's not like I have to click it, it's just the tone it would set. I might be talking hyperbolic nonsense though.

We will see how this goes. Also please

NO LINKS TO PERSONAL SALES!

thought I should mention this just to be sure.

Personally I'm ordering waaaaay less then I'm used to and didn't hesitate not holding onto books I didn't enjoy thoroughly. Sold the 2 Archer and armstrong dlxs and hesitating to pick up the 2nd Quantum and Woody dlx since it features A&A and their writer. (not that it was horrible but I don't need any more of that). Also feel like I got a nice little story in the first Q&W dlx so if the second one is more like A&A I'm good with only owning the first.

Also trying to muster up the energy to continue with Corto Maltese, the first 2 volumes were okay but didn't blow me away. Continued buying them based on their reputation (and I like the art) but if it's not for me then no reason to continue spending money on them.

Has 15 volumes of Prince Valiant (they are still keep coming out), beautiful books, love the art, read 3 volumes...
    When the heck am I gonna get around reading the rest? I mean I'm planning to live a few more decades it's just the pressure of getting them before they go oop but not reading them for years and years. (although I'm not planning to get rid of my set).

uThis is why I'm buying a lot more on Comixology, so I can try before I really dive in. I have so many books that I want to get rid off but just can't shift. Not even as £1 ebay sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr`Orange View Post
    uThis is why I'm buying a lot more on Comixology, so I can try before I really dive in. I have so many books that I want to get rid off but just can't shift. Not even as £1 ebay sales.
    I really need to try this, do you use an iPad? If so the regular size or large one

What’s up with A and A? They used to be one of my Valiant favourites, as for Q & W, you know my thoughts on that (although I did buy and have yet to read vol 2, or did I imagine buying it? can’t be bothered to get out of bed and look)

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    What’s up with A and A? They used to be one of my Valiant favourites, as for Q & W, you know my thoughts on that (although I did buy and have yet to read vol 2, or did I imagine buying it? can’t be bothered to get out of bed and look)
    not sure why I didn't enjoy it but it became a slog to read. You know the feeling when you look at a page and think "do I have to get through all this dialogue?"
    And not because I don't like to read (reading Secret six now and that has just as many word balloons but it's all gold).
    Also it kinda felt inconsequential and I wasn't really invested in all the weird concepts the writer came up with.

Incredible Member

I only really regret Ann Nocenti's DD Epic. And I almost got both volumes available at the time! Thankfully I didn't get the other one. I felt like I was forcing myself to read through it to get rid of it. Even than I quit halfway through. I have a lot of unread books so there may be a few regrets yet to come!
    It's a hard habit to break. The completionist. "Well I bought book 1, I guess I'm in for the long haul" lol. I have some books like Deadly Hands of Kung Fu that I probably didn't need but I wanted them to go along with the Shang Chi volumes. I did get them when IST was heavily discounting some Marvel Omnis a little while ago.

I really need to try this, do you use an iPad? If so the regular size or large one
    I have a Nexus 9 (about the size of a standard iPad) and a LG G6 phone, both of which I used to read comics. The guided view on comixology makes reading on a phone quite enjoyable, I often spend more time looking at the art than I would normally.

I’m thinking I have broken the completionist in me, as there is very little I feel the need to carry on getting, perhaps I’m just bored with comics in general, if I’m brutally honest I think I could get down to a single shelf of stuff I want to keep

We have a latest orders, a what are you reading now thread, so I thought I’d start a what are you getting rid of thread, as I seem to be getting rid of more books than I’m buying now, post stuff you are thinking of selling or giving away and the reasons why.

Just sold Hellblazer vols 1 to 19, hugely disappointed, the first comic I ever bought but was remembered through rose coloured glasses apart from the Carey stuff at the end, none of it lived up to the memories.

Next to get rid of, toying with the idea of getting rid of my Valiant books, I’m not really enjoying them any more and I can’t put my finger on why, I still have couple wrapped that I haven’t read (eternal warrior, A & A on the way) which may rekindle my interest but I’m not holding my breath
    I feel you on the Valiant stuff. I had a couple hardcovers and several trades. After Harbinger Wars I realized that while i enjoyed everything i had read, I was never going to want to reread it again.

I've tried really hard to only limit my shelves to stuff that i know i'm going to want to reread. This has caused me to go digital with most of my purchases.

Amazing Member

While I'm not the person you asked, I'll chime in and say I use the large 12.9" iPad for comics from ComiXology and the books look GREAT on that screen.

Incredible Member

I need to get to this point. Space is becoming an issue, but I have never been good at selling stuff. It just always seems a hassle to me particularly if shipping out is involved. I have always been a book horder and now that I am into collectible books... Forget it!
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I love my Valiant fare. That is all.

I did just sell my three Bendis Avengers (2012) hardcovers, guy got them today. Expecting some good feedback. I'm 6 away from 500 right now.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

This is a good idea for a thread. I always try to purge regularly.

Currently on the trade-in pile:

War Stories vol. 1-4 - Nice tales from Garth Ennis but I don't see myself revisiting them
    Black Science vol. 1 Hardcover - I "upgraded" to the recently released version with sewn binding
    X-Men Mutant Massacre OHC - A more complete omnibus has been announced
    X-Men Wedding of Cyclops & Phoenix tpb - an OHC is on its way
    Batman and Robin by Tomasi Omnibus - Did not particularly enjoy this one
    TMNT Ultimate Collection vol. 1-5 - Nice from a historical perspective but not enough there for me to keep it around