Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I comb through my books quarterly and try to get rid a of handful to make room for newer books. Whether they are books I no longer have an attachment to or ones I can replace with a preferred format (omnibus, complete collection, etc.) that is coming down the pipeline.

I will do a quick search through eBay & Amazon and see if any books are out of print and put them up for sell on eBay. However, most of my old books are donated to the library.

I just cleared out my Daken: Dark Wolverine books as well as some other x-men trades that are being re-released in omnibus or epics later this year.

I just find I can’t keep collecting, if I had never sold anything I would need another house to put the stuff and I’d feel like one of those extreme horders, who live in trash surrounded by piles of cat **** (don’t have any animals but you know what I mean)

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    I just find I can’t keep collecting, if I had never sold anything I would need another house to put the stuff and I’d feel like one of those extreme horders, who live in trash surrounded by piles of cat **** (don’t have any animals but you know what I mean)
    That is always a thought in the back of my head. I also have an affinity for toys, so I have a pretty decent action figure collection as well that occupies the same room as my book collection.

I am overly organized though and everything has a place whether it is displayed or tucked away in storage.

I am proud of my collections and love looking at all the books and toys, and showing if off to friends. However, there is that little inkling of anxiety in the back of my mind that tells me to downsize and STOP buying more! ha.

So a quarterly clean-up usually keeps my conscience clear.

I know it is morbid, but my partner always jokes that if I were to die tomorrow, he could just sell off my collections and retire...and we are only in our early thirties

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    That is always a thought in the back of my head. I also have an affinity for toys, so I have a pretty decent action figure collection as well that occupies the same room as my book collection.

I am overly organized though and everything has a place whether it is displayed or tucked away in storage.

I am proud of my collections and love looking at all the books and toys, and showing if off to friends. However, there is that little inkling of anxiety in the back of my mind that tells me to downsize and STOP buying more! ha.

So a quarterly clean-up usually keeps my conscience clear.

I know it is morbid, but my partner always jokes that if I were to die tomorrow, he could just sell off my collections and retire...and we are only in our early thirties

I hear you on the toys, I used to have hundreds of action figures, my wife didn’t mind the comics but hated the figures, I ended up selling them and getting some good statues with the money I made, but eventually they went as well, now all I have are a sideshow terminator head and sideshow Hellboy gun, but I still look at toy and collectible websites and drool.

And my wife keeps asking me which are my most expensive books for some reason

I hear you on the toys, I used to have hundreds of action figures, my wife didn’t mind the comics but hated the figures, I ended up selling them and getting some good statues with the money I made, but eventually they went as well, now all I have are a sideshow terminator head and sideshow Hellboy gun, but I still look at toy and collectible websites and drool.

And my wife keeps asking me which are my most expensive books for some reason
    best solution with action figures and statues is getting a glass cabinet or two for them. Every time I mention it to someone who is not really into this stuff or not very well informed that I collect action figures they look at me like I'm some special needs crazy person. But when I add that I keep most of them in glass cabinets they always say "oh yeah I can imagine that looking pretty cool".

I had four of those ikea glass cabinets (forgot the name of them) full of them, and to be fair they did look pretty cool, but I could tell she was happy when I got rid of them

Managed to find old photo which caught a bit of my figure collection, wish I’d have taken some proper pics before I got rid of them

Looking through some other pics I remembered I had the complete collection of the Justice League animated Marquette’s, man I wish I hadn’t of gotten rid of them

Last edited by Hellboydce; 08-17-2018 at 03:50 PM.

I had four of those ikea glass cabinets (forgot the name of them) full of them, and to be fair they did look pretty cool, but I could tell she was happy when I got rid of them
    Detolf.
    Yeah I can see four being a bit much especially if the place is not that big (or just the room). Also figures tend to fall over which is annoying. I can see myself getting rid of some figures if a future gf really doesn't like them but comics would be much harder. I really dislike bare walls. Any decent flat needs some nice shelves filled with something like books, comics or movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Detolf.
    Yeah I can see four being a bit much especially if the place is not that big (or just the room). Also figures tend to fall over which is annoying. I can see myself getting rid of some figures if a future gf really doesn't like them but comics would be much harder. I really dislike bare walls. Any decent flat needs some nice shelves filled with something like books, comics or movies.
    I had a room dedicated to the stuff, and she wanted crap like dining tables and the like, and anything for an easy life I guess

I had a room dedicated to the stuff, and she wanted crap like dining tables and the like, and anything for an easy life I guess
    the collection looked pretty sweet, and really not to argue with your wife's and your decision but the shelves built in the walls don't really take up any space. Pretty classy looking set up IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    the collection looked pretty sweet, and really not to argue with your wife's and your decision but the shelves built in the walls don't really take up any space. Pretty classy looking set up IMHO.
    I have started looking at the JL animated Marquette’s again, god help me

Single life rocks.
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    Single life rocks.
    That depends on if you are getting any as a single man

The way you have to play it is to get married and not have kids. Don't over extend yourself on a house or cars. So much disposable income. It's like those toy store shopping sprees that would be on Nickelodeon game shows when we were kids.

Its funny............. I am down to the last two payments and thinking ............ "cool, I can get books with the money I save each month"
    and than the screen finally goes (it was showing signs for a few months) and so I had to pay off the one and sign up for two more years
    on the new one and .............. well there goes my extra money
    But hey! the glass is more than half full because now I have 256 Gb instead of 64 so I no longer have to shuffle my songs from my computer
    to my phone and I don't have to up date my program, which means I can soon down load so many apps that could not and
    it is much faster than my old phone and ............ well, what the heck......... If I see a few books I want, I am still going to get them.

Thankfully, I have almost desire for physical contact with other people :P Except the lab partner that I slept with during my honours project, which reminded me why I just read instead.

P.S. TMI, I'm aware.
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”