Guardian of the Universe comicstar100's Avatar

Default Crisis on Infinite Earth's is it still necessary

At this point with where we are in DC Post Rebirth is Crisis on Infinite Earth's still necessary for continuity? Barry has been back for years as well as the Multiverse in general. Convergence tried to undo it but in the Button I do believe we saw that it is still indeed part of the current timeline. Infinite Crisis tied heavily into Crisis on Infinite Earth's but without Superboy Prime around how do we know he is even still a part of DC's overall history?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by comicstar100 View Post
    At this point with where we are in DC Post Rebirth is Crisis on Infinite Earth's still necessary for continuity? Barry has been back for years as well as the Multiverse in general. Convergence tried to undo it but in the Button I do believe we saw that it is still indeed part of the current timeline. Infinite Crisis tied heavily into Crisis on Infinite Earth's but without Superboy Prime around how do we know he is even still a part of DC's overall history?
    Its difficult to say. COIE being part of DC's "overall history" was always a bit wonky.

Obviously, in a broader cosmic sense, it definitely happened. In the context of the Post-COIE and New Earth timelines, some version of COIE's events happened to explain Barry Allen's death. New 52 of course had that version of COIE wiped from the timeline, but Rebirth might have brought it back.

I think its important to note as far as broader DC continuity is concerned, "everything happened"...if not in the current timeline/universe, then certainly in a previous timeline/universe. In that sense, everything is still canon.

So the original Pre COIE Kara Zor-El did exist and died during COIE. But after COIE, she was erased from existence and the only Supergirls were the Matrix and Linda Lee versions. But then IC changed the timeline again, and a 'new' Kara Zor-El made her debut. Then Flashpoint happened, wiping that Kara from existence but yet another Kara Zor-El made her debut.

Its kinda like the Back to the Future movies. The first half-hour or so of the first movie, with Marty's parents being less than successful is still 'canon', even though the movie's events result in that timeline being erased.

Extraordinary Member

It's been awhile since I read it, but I was thinking that the Psycho Pirate was the only one who still remembered the other earths and the pre-Crisis history at the end of that story.

I guess TPTB at DC took that literally.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by comicstar100 View Post
    At this point with where we are in DC Post Rebirth is Crisis on Infinite Earth's still necessary for continuity?
    I'm not really seeing how it ever was.

I loved Crisis as a kid.

But if any story more than 10 years old is "necessary" for continuity, then publishers aren't doing things right.