Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

not to mention Monica who had her running scared despite her psychological expertise.

It's funny that even Carol has to think a minute to remember who her arch-enemy is, lol.

I would agree that Moonstone would be the best fit, and that written correctly, Moonstone could be the powerful nemesis.

And this is one of the main problems I have with Carol as Captain Marvel. Marvel keeps saying she their "#1 Female Character" but i really can't think of anything about her that really stands out.

She has become a very boring character that Marvel only use to prove they have a Wonder Woman.

I would love to write Carol
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

And this is one of the main problems I have with Carol as Captain Marvel. Marvel keeps saying she their "#1 Female Character" but i really can't think of anything about her that really stands out.

She has become a very boring character that Marvel only use to prove they have a Wonder Woman.

Some of us wait, some of us act.

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    Let's hear it LordAllMIghty. Gimme a pitch. I have a lot of ideas about turning Earth's solar system into a "frontier" and positioning Captain Marvel as the "sheriff" of Earth. Wakanda would have an abandoned 200-year-old space station, and a secret Martian colony that's starved for resources. There'd be a contingent of Skrulls building a dyson sphere INSIDE Jupiter, Shi'Ar rebels loyal to Deathbird settling on Titan, etc. My brain is bubbling with worldbuilding, but I just don't feel like I know enough about the character.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I think we all agree this is a big problem for Captain Marvel as a series and a character and has been the prevailing problem for the last several runs which is why I think the book hasn't taken off better than it has. Margaret Stohl may be a good writer, but she focuses too much on internal conflict (KSD did a little much as well especially in her second run.) The character really does need a writer that can balance internal conflict along with external conflict all the while establishing a rogues gallery with at least a couple of compelling and reoccurring villains over a long run. (The book also needs an editor that will push said villains into runs from other creators who come onto the book as well and not just jettison with each new creative team.)

Clearly, they need to set up Lady Stilt-Man as her archnemesis.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I believe she not only can defeat Moonstone, she has defeated Moonstone.

IIRC, Hawkeye has defeated Karla Sofen, so she's no Doctor Doom here.
    Yeah but wasn't that back when he was at his best and being written by Busiek as well? Before the sunglasses wearing imposter who doesn't even wear the costume showed up?
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

If Carol had more of an identity (other than "I'm a big shot pilot!") than it would be easier to craft compelling adversaries for her. A lot of great villains tend to reflect aspects of the heroes own psyche. The Joker represents chaos to Batman's order. Venom is Spider-Man without taking any personal responsibility for his actions, etc.

Closest thing to recurring adversaries for Carol would probably be Dr. Minerva, Deathbird, Moonstone and well, Rogue whenever they forget that the two have buried the hatchet.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I believe she not only can defeat Moonstone, she has defeated Moonstone.

IIRC, Hawkeye has defeated Karla Sofen, so she's no Doctor Doom here.
    Most recently in Life of Captain Marvel #1, though she also scored a victory against her near the end of Brian Reed's Ms Marvel run.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Yeah but wasn't that back when he was at his best and being written by Busiek as well? Before the sunglasses wearing imposter who doesn't even wear the costume showed up?
    IIRC, it was Roger Stern who wrote the issue I'm thinking of. But yes, back when he had a cowl.

But I don't know why that matters. Carol at her worst is still stronger than Hawkeye at his best.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Astonishing Member

The lack of a Rogues Gallery for the number one heroine in Marvel is pathetic. After all her relaunches by various writers you would think she would have more than the Claremont villains. Marvel has to start to compensating creators properly for introducing new characters. There is no monetary incentive.

Does Marvel think they can start 'pushing' different IP's without new villains? Pathetic.

I think the problem with giving her villains is, they started to push her after villains stopped being a thing at Marvel. Comics in general had changed in a way that made introducing villains extremely difficult, with "hero vs hero" now being the norm. The few villains still used are mainly old. Really old. And even they are often anti-heroified, or treated a minor threats or bookends in stories that are mainly about the protagonists flaws and deconstructing them. How can you really give anyone an arch-enemy in an era where nine-tenths of the story is about how damaged the protagonist is, with villains being mainly just physical threats that appear really briefly two or three times in a long story? Hell, at this point you could argue that Danvers is her own arch-enemy, and any villains are really just brief physical threats to fight while she deals with her own inner-flaws.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    If Carol had more of an identity (other than "I'm a big shot pilot!") than it would be easier to craft compelling adversaries for her. A lot of great villains tend to reflect aspects of the heroes own psyche. The Joker represents chaos to Batman's order. Venom is Spider-Man without taking any personal responsibility for his actions, etc.

Closest thing to recurring adversaries for Carol would probably be Dr. Minerva, Deathbird, Moonstone and well, Rogue whenever they forget that the two have buried the hatchet.
    I think probably Carol's biggest issue as a character (outside Civil War II) is a lack of a consistent and strong creative vision for who she is and who she should be compared to other heroes.