Default Fantastic Four, collected must read sotries [help]

Hi experts and fans, I'm look for a quick way to get to know every heroes. I'm down to the Fantastic Four. So I'm looking for a short list of TPBs. But like the 3 to 5 major ones and no overthick omnibus please.

What do you think of these ?

The Best of the Fantastic Four vol.1
    Fantastic Four #1 - Introduction
    Fantastic Four #39–40 - FF / Daredevil team-up
    Fantastic Four #51 - This Man… This Monster! - The most famous issue
    Fantastic Four #100 - The 100th anniversary issue
    Fantastic Four #116 - The Alien, The Ally, and...Armageddon!
    Fantastic Four #176 - Improbable As it May Seem--The Impossible Man is Back in Town!
    Fantastic Four #236 - The 20th anniversary issue (tripple size)
    Fantastic Four #267 - In the arms of Octopus
    Fantastic Four Annual #2 - The Fantastic Origin of Doctor Doom
    Fantastic Four vol. 3 #56 - Remembrance of Things Past
    Fantastic Four vol. 3 #60 - Inside Out - the 87th best single issue from Wizard Magazine
    Marvel Fanfare #15 - That Night... - A very special tale starring the ever-lovin', blue-eyed Thing, by comics legend Barry Windsor-Smith!
    Marvel Two-in-One #50 - The Thing Battles the Thing - Big 50th issue
    Marvel Knights 4 #4 - Wolf at the Door

Do any of you know of a book that collects the fist encounter of the Inhuman (#45) and the Galactus Saga (#48-51) ?

Then I don't really know what to read because it's all long runs !

What would you suggest.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I guess it all depends on how much you want to spend. Do you want to invest in the book format to have something nice to display in your bookshelves? Then go for some of the collections. Luckily, Marvel has re-issued some of those. Have you been picking up any of the True Believers issues for $1.00? They did things like Doctor Doom's first appearance in issue #5.

But I think you would get the most value of getting a subscription at the Marvel site for Marvel Unlimited. I'm not sure but I think you can also purchase an unlimited access at Comixology too. You can either pay by the month or get a whole year subscription. For the annual sub. at Marvel, you get a prize box each year. Over the years I got the gold Ultron action figure, a Captain Marvel one, some patches you can sew on to jackets, buttons, etc.

Here is a link to a page from the Diamond Distributors site and as you can see a lot of FF stuff came out in July : Marvel catalog for July
    If you scroll to the bottom, there are a lot of those dollar issues I mentioned, one is for the Coming of Galactus.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 08-10-2018 at 10:04 AM.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    Do any of you know of a book that collects the fist encounter of the Inhuman (#45) and the Galactus Saga (#48-51) ?
    There is a new Fantastic Four Epic Collection: The Coming of Galactus that comes out next week. It collects issues 33-51 and Annual 3.

If you can track down any of the Fantastic Four Visionaries: John Byrne they are all worth looking at. There are 9 trades that collect almost his whole run.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I guess it all depends on how much you want to spend. Do you want to invest in the book format to have something nice to display in your bookshelves? Then go for some of the collections. Luckily, Marvel has re-issued some of those. Have you been picking up any of the True Believers issues for $1.00? They did things like Doctor Doom's first appearance in issue #5.

But I think you would get the most value of getting a subscription at the Marvel site for Marvel Unlimited. I'm not sure but I think you can also purchase an unlimited access at Comixology too. You can either pay by the month or get a whole year subscription. For the annual sub. at Marvel, you get a prize box each year. Over the years I got the gold Ultron action figure, a Captain Marvel one, some patches you can sew on to jackets, buttons, etc.

Here is a link to a page from the Diamond Distributors site and as you can see a lot of FF stuff came out in July : Marvel catalog for July
    If you scroll to the bottom, there are a lot of those dollar issues I mentioned, one is for the Coming of Galactus.
    The True Believers' thing is a good ideao, but it's only in digital format. I don't enjoy reading my comics on a screen. I'd like them in tpb format.

In the end you don't recommand any specific FF books. So you don't answer my question. Nor do you give me your opinon of The Best of the Fantastic Four vol.1 I suggest.

I will still note The Coming of Galactus Epic you've mentionned, it seems interresting.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    There is a new Fantastic Four Epic Collection: The Coming of Galactus that comes out next week. It collects issues 33-51 and Annual 3.

If you can track down any of the Fantastic Four Visionaries: John Byrne they are all worth looking at. There are 9 trades that collect almost his whole run.
    I'm sure they are worth looking at, but it's 9 tradres in Visisonnary Format is a bit much. But I will keep in mind The Coming of Galactus Epic.

The True Believers' thing is a good ideao, but it's only in digital format. I don't enjoy reading my comics on a screen. I'd like them in tpb format.

In the end you don't recommand any specific FF books. So you don't answer my question. Nor do you give me your opinon of The Best of the Fantastic Four vol.1 I suggest.

I will still note The Coming of Galactus Epic you've mentionned, it seems interresting.
    You're wrong about the True Believers. I bought the issues I wanted at my LCS for $1.00, like Doom's origin in FF #5 , the Thing vs the Hulk fight in FF #112 with the famous John Buscema Cover and Marvel Two-In-One #1 with the Thing vs the Man-Thing Just last week. You do get the digital code inside if you want that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    You're wrong about the True Believers. I bought the issues I wanted at my LCS for $1.00, like Doom's origin in FF #5 , the Thing vs the Hulk fight in FF #112 with the famous John Buscema Cover and Marvel Two-In-One #1 with the Thing vs the Man-Thing Just last week. You do get the digital code inside if you want that too.
    I see, but where I am (France) I can only find them on Amazon and it's only digital sadly.

I see, but where I am (France) I can only find them on Amazon and it's only digital sadly.
    So the comic shops didn't order them? that's not good. I thought it was a terrific idea for Marvel to reprint them. I am not sure how comic book distribution works in Europe. Where would you buy any of the books, any online stores?

My favorite runs are of course the original Stan Lee & Jack Kirby. I have all of their volumes in the Masterworks Series. A lot of those are out of print and they can be expensive. I also like John Byrne and have most of the Fantastic Four Visionaries. I have the first volume Jonathan Hickman Omni but I suppose that would be too expensive. I do have all the issues of his run plus a couple of the TPBs The soft cover ones of course are the least expensive.

About the 100th issue of the Fantastic Four. I found it a bit of a let down and IIRC most of the villains were not real. You also have to remember by this time Jack Kirby was not on good terms with the company and was already planning to leave and take a job at DC.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 08-13-2018 at 10:33 AM.

Duplicate post *sigh*
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 08-13-2018 at 06:59 AM.

Bump

Anyone else care to suggest me something ?

Bump

Anyone else care to suggest me something ?

Hi jb !

May I ask you where you live in France - you can answer using a pm if you prefer - et tu peux le faire en français, cher compatriote .

I had no problem ordering or finding the true believers issues in my Parisian stores. Maybe yours has the same owners if you're not in Paris,and perhaps they could share their stocks ?

Anyway to answer to your first post I'd suggest the Kirby and Lee Epic collections - or the more expensive omnibuses - and Hickman's run which is about to be reprinted in a "complete collection" very soon.

Byrne's run is a must : but it means buying two omnibuses if you find them. I'm not sure but I think they will be reprinted soon too.

Simonson's run us fine too and is reprinted in Epic collection.

Edited - thanks to Iron Maiden!
    Last edited by Abe; 08-13-2018 at 07:07 AM.
    - To Tammy and the Blue Rose !

I don't like to correct people but Abe, don't you mean Walt Simonson? His battle through time story with Reed and Victor is one of the best single issues of the Fantastic Four (#352) . Time magazine even wrote about it once

Of course Iron Maiden!

I should know better and never trust the auto-correct...
    - To Tammy and the Blue Rose !